Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by 16bore
What's the verdict vs. the OG Jetboil? Unless that thing has coffee ready before I wake up, I can't see much improvement.

Lighter weight, much better in the wind, regulated burner for much improved cold weather performance and more compact to boot.

So, worth getting rid of the original and trading up?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by 16bore
What's the verdict vs. the OG Jetboil? Unless that thing has coffee ready before I wake up, I can't see much improvement.

Lighter weight, much better in the wind, regulated burner for much improved cold weather performance and more compact to boot.

So, worth getting rid of the original and trading up?

IMO yes. Or at least going to the Sol Aluminum version.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't bother with the aluminum version, just go with the Ti and be done with it. You can find lots of places to buy it cheaper than what Jetboil lists it.

I'll be the first to admit that I tend to be a bit tight with my cash but I just couldn't pass this up after doing a little bit of research on it. The original wasmoney well spent and if this one is as good as the reviews say, it will be money even better spent.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What regulator issues are there with the PCS? Guess I haven't been in temperatures cold enough to have any.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I wouldn't bother with the aluminum version, just go with the Ti and be done with it. You can find lots of places to buy it cheaper than what Jetboil lists it.

I'll be the first to admit that I tend to be a bit tight with my cash but I just couldn't pass this up after doing a little bit of research on it. The original wasmoney well spent and if this one is as good as the reviews say, it will be money even better spent.

The only reason I'd consider the Aluminum rather thant he Ti is if you are actually going to cook in the pot rather than boil water.

Ed T

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is there an issue with cooking in a titanium pot Ed?

Steelhead

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Is there an issue with cooking in a titanium pot Ed?

Only that food sticks to it worse than it does to the hard anodized aluminum.

Ed T

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Does that apply to the other manufacturers of titanium cookware? I know a lot of people use it and am just wondering. I have no plans to actually cook in mine, just boil water for food and coffee.

Steelhead

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Does that apply to the other manufacturers of titanium cookware? I know a lot of people use it and am just wondering. I have no plans to actually cook in mine, just boil water for food and coffee.

It's all Ti cookware, not just the JetBoil. The exception is some of the non-stick Ti like Evernew makes. It is considerably better for cooking without sticking but IMO hard anodized aluminum cooks better.

That being said, most all of my cookware is TI. The exceptions are a two piece set of GSI hard anodized aluminum, a non-stick Evernew pot and an Evernew Frypan. Those come if I am going to do more than rehydrate food. The majority of the time, I just boil water and Ti is hard to beat for that.

Ed T

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for sharing that info Ed.

Steelhead

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prices just went up on the Sol Ti it looks like!!! I was really hoping to buy one for under $110!!

Either way, I guess I'll keep an eye on it and order one when I see a good sale...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rackmastr
Prices just went up on the Sol Ti it looks like!!! I was really hoping to buy one for under $110!!

Either way, I guess I'll keep an eye on it and order one when I see a good sale...

Yep, they sure did! About $123 shipped is the best price I can find right now. I'll PM you if I see a great deal on one.

MtnHtr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks MtnHtr....I just got one through another member who PM'd me....sweet!!

Crazy how they jumped in prices so quickly. But either way, I've got one now and lookin forward to it!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dangit! I was gonna snag one too but just saw the jump in price. Bummer!! I'll probably still pull the triggr at some point. If anyone sees them at a better price, let me know if you would!

Thanks!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just snagged one at a pretty good deal. CampSaver has them, and they have a 20% coupon deal. Snagged a Sol Ti and a few other nice items! If you're looking for one, better jump quick before they sell out. BTW, free shipping also!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got my SOL Ti in the mail yesterday, noticed the weight difference right away compared to my old JB. I do like the smaller pot but not too sure how long the lid will last. I only use it for storing the stove and canister anyways so it should be fine.

Quick question, I use to store my fuel cannister on the bottom but I noticed that it left a ring of rust on the bottom of the pot (my old JB). Do you guys store the cannister on top of the stove or should I not worry about it with this new titanium pot?

Steelhead

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I wouldn't worry about it.

Ed T

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, I won't. Thanks Ed.

Steelhead

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Its not the pot you have to worry about rusting its the bottom of the canister. I make sure it is dry before I put it away. In order to fit everything in the new SOL Ti it has to be stacked a certain way anyway and the canister rests in the middle of everything.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's pretty much what I said in my post, the rust came from the bottom of the cannister. Thing is, if you don't remove the rust from the bottom of the pot right away, it can be a bear to remove later on. Have yet to put a cannister inside the SOL Ti but it's good to know that it stacks in the middle instead of the bottom.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.