-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are correct shootist. The new Vaqueros are no stronger than the Colts. Don't load them hot and treat them like they're 120yrs old and You should be fine.

I have 4 Vaqueros, and they are the old models in 45Colt. I Like Bullseye under a cast 220-250gr bullet for cowboy shooting. For serious work, or hunting, I use 2400 and 250gr XTP bullets.

[Linked Image]

This one is a convertable one with a spare 45ACP cylinder

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And this one is a limited edition [1 of 200].

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dmsbandit; 05/16/11.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Nice pistols, Bandit -- thanks for posting.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Had a little fun this afternoon after church. Getting ready for the day when the new wheel gun shows up at casa mea. Also did up a few 0.458s for the Buffalo Classic.

[Linked Image]

Inexpensive mould that seems to throw good quality bullets. They weigh in at 208 grains as cast.

[Linked Image]

I've got 400 ready to go, so . . . . . .

COME ON VAQUERO!!!! laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excuse my ignorance but how can you tell the diff between the new and old Vaquaro?

Me

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T

New one is smaller in size -- basically. There are other differences as well, but that should do. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As was said, size. Also the labeling. The New Vaquero's cylinder base pin will come free of the frame without tools whereas the Vaquero's will not. New Vaquero's have crescent shaped ejector buttons. Vaquero's have round ejector buttons.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AND the New Vaqueros are labeled NEW VAQUERO

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Go figure! grin

Brother Keith

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Two .45 Colt Rugers. The SS is a New Vaquero. The blued one with the white grips is the old Vaquero. [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you decide to give bullseye or 231 a go, I have kegs of each, at least bullseye, waiting for a new home. Let me know. As the kids used to say, I gots lots off pistol stuff around the gun room.

The Gimpy Kid smile

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
We'll talk about it sometime when a tupperware container is in sight. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
smile

Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Just to give you fellas some idea about the firearm's bureaucracy here in Canada, the transfer of the Vaquero was done on April 27th when the CFC sent the matter (electronically) to the CFO for Ontario. They have had it since, and today when I called the CFC to see what the status was, they told me the registration was completed "early last week." Still no paper work -- 37 days after CFC got their part of the job done. I'm starting to get mad

On top of that, all my other paper work is in order -- licenced to obtain firearms of this type since 1972 -- possessed firearms of this type since 1972 -- have a long term authority to transport for target shooting -- am a member of a pistol club where these pistols can be shot.

Still waiting -- albeit not terribly patiently right now. crazy

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
With the Canadian postal strike in full swing, I still haven't got the pistol delivered, so I decided to go with courier. Should be here on Friday, I HOPE!

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by the_shootist
. . . . in 45 Colt. With the red tape of gun registry in Canada, it may take a few weeks to get it here, but the process has been started. laugh Happy.

Anyone got a favorite powder/bullet combo? I was thinking Titegroup or 231. Suggestions???

Thanks.

Have fun with that lead slinger !
Lemme know if you're ever in the market for a set of Ajax Custom grips for the hogleg you got there..I picked up a New set on sale and turns out can't use them..

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
It came yesterday, and I was in court till 7:30 pm, and am in court all day today as well. Will likely be dark by the time I get home. Thursday about noon looks like the day of unveiling. The thing looks better in person than the pictures did.

Randy, you need to head west and try it out with me.

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should know better than to feed an addict. But I do have some vacation booked in Aug that is not spoken for yet. Hannah is coming down this weekend and I have a note to give her ingots to feed yours.

It does look pristine and a seven round one holer is always a good thing.

Envious in con me.

Randy

Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Yep. Very pleased with the loads and the hogleg. Been years since I shot a SAA type. Different, but fun. My last ten shots went about 2.5" from 15 yards with 7 through one hole, two through another almost touching, and one pride buster (called) that opened it up to 3.5" Looking like the Trail Boss load needs a little tweeking, and the Unique load needs to get shot a lot more.

Looking forward to more fun being "Home, home on the range." wink

EDITED!

Apparently my eyeballs estimated the group larger than it really was. Caliper shows centres at 2.3" including the flyer. See below. Happy! Looks like this one is a keeper.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by the_shootist; 06/30/11. Reason: add photo and corrected info

Brother Keith

D
D
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Yep. Very pleased with the loads and the hogleg. Been years since I shot a SAA type. Different, but fun. My last ten shots went about 2.5" from 15 yards with 7 through one hole, two through another almost touching, and one pride buster (called) that opened it up to 3.5" Looking like the Trail Boss load needs a little tweeking, and the Unique load needs to get shot a lot more.

Looking forward to more fun being "Home, home on the range." wink

EDITED!

Apparently my eyeballs estimated the group larger than it really was. Caliper shows centres at 2.3" including the flyer. See below. Happy! Looks like this one is a keeper.

[Linked Image]

Well, I'd say that's a keeper. I love single actions and have owned a number of rugers in the past. Fact is I"m on the fence about one in 44 spec on the new smaller frame. Unfortunately colt has now come out with the new new frontier. I like the looks of them in the short barrel and adjustable sights. {sigh}

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.