Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Any thoughts or impressions of this from users so far?

How quiet is it, compared to soft shells from non-hunting companies?

Where are the pockets? Do they work with a waist belt?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only had mine out a couple times, but so far happy with it.

Material is quiet for my needs. Pockets work fine with the waist belt on my pack. Sleeves are purposely a bit long. Better than the alternative. I do wish the front pockets extended higher onto the chest like on my Marmot, but not a deal breaker. Beads light rain well, but have not had it in worse conditions. Zip pits are nice and I like the extended cut on the back.

The real test will be this fall. First stop, CO deer at 12K feet in Sept...can't wait.

Yesterday morning it was a bit nippy and I can verify it is mosquito proof material. grin
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mtmiller; 07/04/11.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good lookin' pup there.

I just ordered my Kuiu stuff... will try to do a review once I have given it a decent workout.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtmiller
I have only had mine out a couple times, but so far happy with it.

Material is quiet for my needs. Pockets work fine with the waist belt on my pack. Sleeves are purposely a bit long. Better than the alternative. I do wish the front pockets extended higher onto the chest like on my Marmot, but not a deal breaker. Beads light rain well, but have not had it in worse conditions. Zip pits are nice and I like the extended cut on the back.

The real test will be this fall. First stop, CO deer at 12K feet in Sept...can't
wait
Yesterday morning it was a bit nippy and I can verify it is mosquito proof material. grin
[Linked Image]

You are a whole lot of sexy! Great pic, glad to see the new pups getting it down. Looks like a much better time than my fat butt flopping around in the kiddy pool that I did the last two days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like mine. I've had it in rain, wind, heat, etc and it has performed well. I beat it up during turkey season and it has held up. It's on par with my Arc'Teryx and Mtn Hardwear softshells and I think it s a little better than my Sitka 90% jacket.
Lee

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have not tried the jacket much yet but the pants are awesome. Did some preseason scouting this weekend and wore the merino 185 top with the attack pants. I had the Icon 3000 loaded with about 30 pounds. Temp was 101 and the hills are steep I was in the coastal hills of California.
What I noticed was there was not much wetness. I was sweating like crazy but there was no moisture collecting. Normally on the hotter trips I get raw in places, not this time. I went through some horrible brush and didn't have any issues. This gear is incredible. Well thought out and high performance gear. Absolutely love the pack too.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks, all. I've been looking for the holy grail of hunting jackets for a long time. This one sounds as if it may come close so far -- please keep the comments coming.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Love my Guide Jacket. Have taken it out on a few overnights where the temps have dropped into the high 30's & it's been plenty warm enough w/ just a merino T underneath. my only suggestion is that you take their measurements and subtract an inch or 2 from what they say it will fit. my chest is 44" & the large was too small.
Fabric is not ultra quiet, but I believe it is as quiet as it needs to be. If you're moving slowly & (for bowhunters) drawing properly, the noise from the fabric will not be what gives you away.
The pockets are higher than my waistbelt when wearing my pack. I never use those pockets & would prefer not to have them.
Jacket construction is great. I am excited to use it this fall.
Also -- Kuiu's customer service is world class. Return of my jacket for the large was the easiest I've had. Their folks are all knowledgeable, patient & helpful. For me, that is as important as anything.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
justseth,

That is extremely helpful. If it's quiet enough for bowhunting it's probably quiet enough for me. I really like wool but can't seem to find a lightweight wool product in a modern design -- i.e. with pit zips! And I'm a total handwarmer pocket junkie since I get very cold fingers (always have, and I also picked up a little frost nip doing construction work 20 winters ago).

How long are your sleeves? Looking at their size chart, I have a 43" chest but 36" arms.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It is very comfortable, both for its fit and because it is slightly stretchy.
The hood is extremely well placed and convenient to use.
It sheds more water that I would have thought.
It is quiet enough, though not completely quiet.
It is lightweight.
Not totally wind proof but performs well in the wind.
It is a garment for the active hunter therefore not warm enough for still hunting in cold weather, requiring an insulating jacket underneath.
I would give it an 8 out of ten and if I were to change something in it it would be the sleeves that, for me, they are too long and too narrow in the forearms, and the fit is a bit snug in the armpits.
Just my 2cts.
BBerg

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My stuff shipped today, getting kinda excited. I'm hoping at least some of it fits - kind of a shot in the dark.

Anyone here tried the gloves yet?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cwh2
My stuff shipped today, getting kinda excited. I'm hoping at least some of it fits - kind of a shot in the dark.

Anyone here tried the gloves yet?

If you don't mind, what did you order? I've been dying to try out some of there stuff but have been waiting on more reviews. About to say [bleep] it and take the plunge.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Guide Jacket, Atack pants, Spindrift, merino top and bottom, gloves, and a hat.

You're welcome to inspect when it comes in. If nothing else, it'll give you an idea of the sizing and construction.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gloves are nice. You'll like them. Very durable appearing and grippy. I've not used them much though.

I've got most of the entire line and have been pleased. The pack does not fit me real well but is well thought out.

Lee

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have the gloves the rain gear and the attack pants. I think the glove will be great this fall during bow season. The pants are a bit heavier than I like for bow season its usually in the mid 70's here then but I have some ascent pants to wear too. I really like the rain gear so far but its only been short hikes in the rain. Its all top quality stuff and well made. I want to get some 250 merino wool before our fall rifle elk hunt. I still have my older model Sitka 90% jacket with a hood I really like that jacket. I can't see replacing it for awhile with the guide jacket.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So how effective is their rain gear? I need something that's going to keep me dry in a down pour or while i'm hiking through sopping wet brush.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had the Chugach stuff in the cart and chickened out on the $550 price tag. That's like 5 sets of impertech....

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I bought this over a couple of months so it didn't seem so bad. Its still cheaper than other high end rain gear from sitka and some other brands. I can't give you a honest answer yet I have not had a chance to wear it in a really good rain storm. I know that so far in the showers I have worn it rain has beaded right off and I shook it when I came in and it never wetted out and it dried in no time. I worry about wep soping brush that too where we elk hunt we hunt in a lot of replanted trees we call them reprod and its like hunting in a shower all day this will be the real test this fall. I have Helly Hansen stuff and it works great when doing short hunts and it is the best at keeping me dry but its too heavy to carry all day for me any way. They had a report that guys that Kuiu wore this spring in Alaska on bear hunts really liked it but that is hearsay.

Last edited by ehunter; 07/06/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2
I had the Chugach stuff in the cart and chickened out on the $550 price tag. That's like 5 sets of impertech....
LOL...........just think how many years of use you would get out of 5 sets of Impertech!!

I guess the bottom line is this, I need a lightweight set for mountain hunting that will get the job done without bleeding my bank account dry. I've got the Impertech for all my other hunts and honestly, I don't find it THAT Heavy.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love the Chugach. I used mine in some heavy downpours and also crawled through lots of briars and low soaking wet brush without any problems this spring. My XL weighs 17 ozs in the jacket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (673, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 29aholic, 805, 16 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,936
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.