-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use one of the mixes based on 2-4-D labeled for consumers, basically generic Weed B Gon, at about label rate with good results. Contains Dicamba which I think helps but I don't know that. I expect to use two applications so I'm happy when the first one does it.

If I'm into nuking the area generic Weed B Gon tank mixed with glyphosate at the higher rate gets about everything.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by FVA
Originally Posted by CFVA
Crossbow, Grazon.

Haven't messed with Grazon but Crossbow definitely is another level of effectiveness compared to 2-4D

IIRC Crossbow is 2-4D

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nope -

Crossbow is Metsulfuron Methyl - 200 g/L
Picloram - 240 g/L

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We used to mix crop oil with the 24D to get it to work better on thistles. It was off label; maybe there's one that's made for it now. If you're running pasture, put the salt block in anything you want to kill. It works on small patches of tough weeds and the grass usually comes back.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spot spray those puppies with Milestone. Expensive but vicious. Only takes 4 CC to a gallon. Pffft.
If you can zap it before the flower goes white and pops, you're much better off.
The best part about Milestone is, it's a slow, lingering death. I mean, the plants are dead, but they keel over slowly. Heh heh heh.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thistrol herbicide may work, but not sure if it is labeled for your application. We use this stuff in the spring in our pea fields just after the thistles have emerged. It does the trick but may be hard to get your hands on without an applicators license.

It is a chemical specific to killing thistles, but carries the "Danger" designation on the label. That is the highest toxicity level for chemicals. As always, follow the label. Below is the label for peas, you may have to search for other applications. It can be used in pasture environments in other countries, not sure about the US.

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld2D1000.pdf

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR=07136800005&DIST_NR=071368

Last edited by WI_Canner; 07/06/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC 2-4-D for home use is about 7%,(Ortho from Home Depto etc.) for farmers is 48%. Use the 48% with oz of Dawn to each gallon.

Pulling these numbers from memory from several years ago so check the labels.

I have been mixing the stronger 48% at 3 oz to the gallon of water with dish soap. Not 100% sure on you thistle fight.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by speedsixman
Nope -

Crossbow is Metsulfuron Methyl - 200 g/L
Picloram - 240 g/L

Myron

Where did you find that info?

When I search Crossbow,Dow lists the ingredients as Triclopyr and 2-4D

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Milestone works great! Yes, it is more expensive initially, but when you consider how little you have to use, it's a bargain. You can mix it with your 2,4,D. READ THE DIRECTIONS so you don't get hurt.

Get some marker dye from the store to put in your concoction. It will show you where you missed.

Also, I've found that a bit of Dawn dish soap helps break down the defenses of the thistle.

If you don't get spray on the ENTIRE plant, it will somehow survive enough to go to seed. Just getting the base of the thing won't be enough.

The thistle is a biennial. This means it grows the first year and seeds the second. If you can get all the little ones you can, it will make a huge dent for next year.

Lastly, spot spray in the fall as often as the weather permits.

I had a huge problem with thistle last year. Some of them were over six feet tall. This year I have less than 10% of what was there last year.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Dess; 07/06/11.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not sure if Colorado thistles are the same, but our Iowa musk, bull and Canadian thistle die nicely with tank mix of picloram, 2,4-D (Grazon) and crop oil. The best time is to get them early, just a whif will kill them when they are in the rosette stage. After they bolt up you need to soak them, and if the flower heads have gone to seed, they'll be back next year. They seem to come up for 2 years from a ripe seed head. I pluck the seed heads off musk thistle if I miss them, but that's not practical with Canadians. I try to go back weekly if I can to catch any stragglers that come on later. Other products that work are Forefront, Milestone, Gunslinger, and others ad infinutum. Ask at your local farmer's co-op what they recommend, or at the extension office.

I use a 15 gallon spot sprayer with a 12 volt pump. Works good from the pickup or ATV if you can get there. Not sure how to set it up on a pack saddle? smile

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Canada thistle won't tolerate repeated cutting either. Here in Pa. cutting alfalfa at least 4 times a year will kill the thistle growing in the alfalfa. Not sure that applies in your situation right now but something to keep in mind.

I liked a tank mix of 2-4,D and Banvel but you need to get them before they bloom. And rosette stage is even better.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mossy,

The product label I looked at was one I downloaded directly from Dow probably 5 years ago.
Just looked again, and the label was for a product called "Crossbow One Shot" Guess it isn't the same thing.
I stand corrected for wrong information.

Myron

Last edited by speedsixman; 07/06/11.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
What I have is a cuople of dry creek bottoms in a two community parks. Maybe 20 acreas in all.I mixed the 2-4d double strength and it didn't do much There seems to be three differnt types.The big tall dark green ones,pink flowers,I think are Canada, some smaller ones that have more of a greyish tint w/ white flowers to them and a bunch of smaller ones in real thick concentration.
I ride thru about very third day and take a big knife, get off and cut the big ones,but those heavy concentrations can't be done,hard to get in and spray too becasue of the terrain and it is too big for hand sprayer.
It's been dry here and the county agent says it doesn't do any good to spary when they are stressed.
I know I can't kill them all,but sure would like to keep them at bay.

I'l try to find some of this other stuff and hit them again.It is suppose to start raining again soon.

If you're cutting the blossoms off, take a squirt bottle of Roundup and squirt it right down the hollow stalk.
Other than that the only thing that'll reliably take out Canadian and Musk thistle is tordon. You need an applicators license for it, and like 2 4 D you need to be very carful about how much you apply to a spot as it will take everything out, and can and will leach out thru the roots and hit trees and shrubs.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Milestone

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ranch,
I hate to be a smartass, but I don't think with 20 acres he is going to be cutting the blossoms off where he can take a squirt bottle and spray down individual stalks!

Myron

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Myron go back and read slowly so you don't get confused.
You'll soon see a couple of things.
1. Where he's talking about is not his private land, and as you may or may not know, apply any chemical to land that don't belong to you can/will get you into some hot water with the feds..
2. As he says he " ride thru about very third day and take a big knife, get off and cut the big ones" a little squirt bottle of round up and a couple of squirts down the hollow in the stalk, and,,,,, well if you've ever done it you know what'll be the result..
Plus it might not cause a big enough die off that some goody two shoe nature lover won't go screaming to the local authorities about what's killing all those pretty blossoms in the creek bottom.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Need some advice of which one to use 2-4D doesn't seem to work.Don't want to kill everything like Round Up does.

Roundup does work; you can paint it on or spray very carefully (no wind) to minimize damage to other plants.

Hate using sprays but we had an infestation of Canadian Thistle that we just couldn't lick... nasty stuff.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My understanding of how Roundup works is that putting a drop down a cut stem is NOT effective, or at least not ideal. It needs to be absorbed throughout the leafs. But I could be wrong, that's just what I'm remembering.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ranch,

If you want to do that over 20 acres, have fun!

Myron

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

209 members (1minute, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 45_100, 406_SBC, 24 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,922
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.