-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was supposedly a 400 pound whitetail and if you saw the palmation the rack had you would understand. It scored over 250 B&C and unfortunately I can't find a pic of it on the web to link to.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bighorn

A gray, 200 lb. moose.

Hmmmmm.............

Bighorn I take it you have not spent anytime in Maine smile

....a 200 pound deer (live weight)won't raise an eye brow there,and is a routine,very average buck,dressing 140-150 pounds....hardly worth talking about.....in fact it is likely not even 3.5 years old at that weight...

For reference,and last I knew, the Hinkley Buck killed north of Skowhegan,weighed about 355 pounds.....dressed weight.

Using standard formula's the live weight of this animal was over 450 pounds....this is not far off the weight of a young moose.

I think this buck is still the second largest dressed body weight in North America.

Bucks of this size still live there no doubt,since vast areas of the state never really get hunted,and they grow big.

Mike is right...the Hill Gould buck was a stupendous non typical with heavily palmated antlers,very moose-like in appearance. I am not the least surprised at the prospect of a 400 pound deer in Northern Maine.

They are also difficult to kill;you can hunt 10 days there....never see a buck of any kind. And when it happens it happens very fast, usually....and if you hesitate, like my pal did,thinking he had see a moose....he will be gone.

Edited to add: I just looked for the Hill Gould buck but could not find a picture....the article I read said he had 31 points and scored 259 NT.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/04/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I passed on several big mule deer over the years because I already had a couple of nice ones on the wall, and I was absolutely hooked on Coues whitetails. Well, now, I don't get around so well in the mountains anymore, and I have a permit here in SW New Mexico in a unit where both live. The permit is good for any deer with one forked antler.

As tedthorn said, "big is big" and I can guarantee you that I will shoot the first deer that I see that is bigger than anything I have on the wall. That holds true for the first three days--after that, I'm looking for a meat buck.

If you're on a mule deer hunt, I would be inclined to hold out for a mule deer, but that's just me. If you're looking for a big mule deer, the first rule of thumb is "don't shoot a little one." The second rule of thumb is "don't shoot a whitetail."

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Northern Deer (Whitetails), to me do seem to run much larger than their Southern cousins. Like Maine, in Northern Minnesota a 200# buck would just be an average deer. In many states that would be huge. Wife took a Whitetail Doe one year that was estimated at 300# live weight. It was the biggest Doe I had ever seen. Meat in the freezer, it's all good. Mule deer seem to be bigger in the body, but on average still smaller than the Northern Whitetails. At least the ones I have seen and hunted. Funny thing is I can not tell any differance in taste, several years have had both all proccessed at home. No idea which was Mule or Whitetail.

B
Bighorn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Bighorn

A gray, 200 lb. moose.

Hmmmmm.............

Bighorn I take it you have not spent anytime in Maine smile

....a 200 pound deer (live weight)won't raise an eye brow there,and is a routine,very average buck,dressing 140-150 pounds....hardly worth talking about.....in fact it is likely not even 3.5 years old at that weight...

For reference,and last I knew, the Hinkley Buck killed north of Skowhegan,weighed about 355 pounds.....dressed weight.

Using standard formula's the live weight of this animal was over 450 pounds....this is not far off the weight of a young moose.

I think this buck is still the second largest dressed body weight in North America.

Bucks of this size still live there no doubt,since vast areas of the state never really get hunted,and they grow big.

Mike is right...the Hill Gould buck was a stupendous non typical with heavily palmated antlers,very moose-like in appearance. I am not the least surprised at the prospect of a 400 pound deer in Northern Maine.

They are also difficult to kill;you can hunt 10 days there....never see a buck of any kind. And when it happens it happens very fast, usually....and if you hesitate, like my pal did,thinking he had see a moose....he will be gone.

Edited to add: I just looked for the Hill Gould buck but could not find a picture....the article I read said he had 31 points and scored 259 NT.

Well then- I guess it's fortunate that Mr. Gould didn't shoot a moose, thinking it was a monster whitetail.........

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Being from CO, I'm sure you've run into the guy who see's a really BIG mule deer for the first time....and think's for a brief instant,it's an elk....until the brain registers correctly smile CO sure does grow them that big...

Back when Gould killed his buck, I'm not sure but that moose were on open license as well.....it was awhile ago.Who knows? Maybe he did mistake it?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm a whitetail freak going way back. Mulies just don't do it for me. If a giant mulie and monster whitetail stood side by side in front of me the mulie would walk and the whitey would die.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Muleys all the way.

My best ever is a sorry excuse for a deer...

[Linked Image]

When I think about the evening I held the Holy Grail of Mule Deer in my hands.
The long standing World Record Non Typical.

355 2/8 B&C

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

However the day my son shot his first mule deer was the most special mule deer moment for me to date...

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having hunted both whitetails and muleys I have to go with muleys. For me there's nothing better than hunting the high country for a big bruiser muley. IMO, they epitomize what hunting in the west is all about.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Salmonella, no flies on those muley bucks of yours at all. The kid shot is super sweet.....Congrats again.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Muleys all the way.

My best ever is a sorry excuse for a deer...

[Linked Image]

When I think about the evening I held the Holy Grail of Mule Deer in my hands.
The long standing World Record Non Typical.

355 2/8 B&C

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

However the day my son shot his first mule deer was the most special mule deer moment for me to date...

[Linked Image]

The Chip Lake Alberta buck! cool

Everyone Ooohhs and Aahhhs over the world record typical whitetail.....but I'll bet there are a few hundred of those running around select areas of Sask,Alberta and the Mid West right now........

A new world record typical whitetail could come at any time.....but the real Holy Grail is the world record non-typical mule deer.....thye just don't grow many of those....far rarer than any whitetail.....

Salmonella you and your son have both killed very fine mule deer. wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/06/11.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Given a smoker Whitetail, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Which would I rather hunt? Mule Deer. As far as non trophy table fair, Whitetail.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

A new world record typical whitetail could come at any time.....but the real Holy Grail is the world record non-typical mule deer.....they just don't grow many of those....far rarer than any whitetail.....

And a hearty Amen to that BobinNH......Right on brother!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys, I'd share a campfire with you any time.

Here is a much younger Salmonella posing with the "Other" world record muley.

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

A new world record typical whitetail could come at any time.....but the real Holy Grail is the world record non-typical mule deer.....they just don't grow many of those....far rarer than any whitetail.....

And a hearty Amen to that BobinNH......Right on brother!

Agreed!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Here is a much younger Salmonella posing with the "Other" world record muley.

[Linked Image]

Wow!The Burris buck is another record I don't expect to see broken real soon...he is just a toad...

Great pic Salmonella.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Maybe we can do that very thing some day. I'd better have a pack mule handy....you and the boy are killers!

I'm going to beg Drummond to take me hunting some day too!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Maybe we can do that very thing some day. I'd better have a pack mule handy....you and the boy are killers!

I'm begging you to come to CO! I was hoping Salmonella would have drawn his tag this year too! I can't wait to hang out on the mountain or plains with you guys. Hey Bob, you want to come to CO too? That would be FUN!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsonora

I'm begging you to come to CO! I was hoping Salmonella would have drawn his tag this year too! I can't wait to hang out on the mountain or plains with you guys. Hey Bob, you want to come to CO too? That would be FUN!

Would it ever......get fired up just thinking about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Me Too!

laugh

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,062
Posts18,521,456
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.