Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Flare
Also I believe that the Secret Service snipers use a 300 wm.

Corey

Since the 1990's elite military units such as the Navy Seals have also used sniper rifles chambered in the .300 WM.

They were using the 190 GR Sierra MatchKing bullets (Mark 248 M0 cartridge) but within the past few years have started using the 220 Gr Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tail (Mark 248 M1 cartridge).

https://www.neco.navy.mil/upload/N00164/N0016409RJN30000209RJN30_0002_att.pdf

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Gentleman,
many thanks for the great feedback and I do thing that someone is blowing in someones azz!! Either the Bechrest guy is or my friend is making an excuse !!
Went and got a hair cut last night and my barber (who has a real neat 300 Win Mag) laughed when i told him this. I have fired his gun and CAN vouch that its accurate. His gun can put 5 shots into an inch at 100m - easy - and I have seen him do it too.

I personally have a 30-06 as my 30 calibre rifle and find it fulfills all my requirements. I am not one to bag any calibre.

Thanks to all who posted.

Gus

You are most welcome.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I could only have one rifle for hunting the lower 48 it would be a .300 Win Mag.

I wouldn't be saying that if it was an inaccurate round.

Biker

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tom264
FOS...............
So full, in fact, that I bet a little leaks out nearly every day...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Carlos Hathcock used a 300 Win Mag to win the Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry in '65....

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Carlos Hathcock used a 300 Win Mag to win the Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry in '65....

'Nuff said, right there. I got his autographed book, "White Feather". For an ole Arkansas country boy, Carlos did pretty good...!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

'Nuff said, right there. I got his autographed book, "White Feather". For an ole Arkansas country boy, Carlos did pretty good...!

He did real good.

Although he was credited with 93 'confirmed kills' the actual number was much higher. In 'Nam a kill had to be confirmed by a 3rd party officer in addition to the shooter and his spotter. In many cases this '3rd Party Officer' was not present, and many times it was almost impossible to confirm a kill when the target was behind enemy lines. He himself estimated the 'actual' number of kills to be close to 300.

He used a Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle with the standard 8-power Unertl scope for most of his confirmed kills, but he also used a Browning M2 for many of his longer shots, including a confirmed kill at close to 2,300 yards.

He was a true professional and a true gentleman..

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well that is an interesting bit of advise that guy gave. Total B.S to say the least. Recoil and how good you can see or not is pretty much the only factor with regard to accuracy you are going to get or not, of course the rifle has to be put together right and you need to shoot good straight ammo. For big game hunting that one dose with a 300, a rifle that groups 2 inches all the time is plenty accurate for shooting big game. And if you can shoot that kind of accuracy will keep you in deer Elk and Moose venison till the end of time. Tiny groups are great, but it dose not mean a wit, if the bullet used is a target bullet, when you are looking at a hard angle shot on snowy late afternoon of the second to the last day of elk season. Minute of grape fruit, is pretty much all that is required of a hunting rifle with a hunting sight and hunting bullets. As for Carlos, he was a magician with a rifle. And he dose Cast a Giant Shadow over Marines and Snipers ever where.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow I would be embarassed to even utter those words. Let alone say that with even the slightest knowledge of firearms.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

He did real good.

Although he was credited with 93 'confirmed kills' the actual number was much higher. In 'Nam a kill had to be confirmed by a 3rd party officer in addition to the shooter and his spotter. In many cases this '3rd Party Officer' was not present, and many times it was almost impossible to confirm a kill when the target was behind enemy lines. He himself estimated the 'actual' number of kills to be close to 300.

He used a Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle with the standard 8-power Unertl scope for most of his confirmed kills, but he also used a Browning M2 for many of his longer shots, including a confirmed kill at close to 2,300 yards.

He was a true professional and a true gentleman..

I read that after he turned that M-70 back to the Army, and it's somewhere in the bastions of Govt. storage, no one can account for the serial #. Even Gunny Hathcock, reportedly, couldn't remember it. Otherwise, it could be identified, brought forth and displayed.

I think he was issued one of the newer (at the time) Remington sniper rifles for his next tour.

He was burned badly in an armored carrier fire, trying to help his buds get out.

After the military, he taught police snipers out in VA, or somewhere on the East Coast, IIRC.

Quite a guy and a hero.

DF

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hamr56
Wow I would be embarassed to even utter those words. Let alone say that with even the slightest knowledge of firearms.
If you're truly referring to gmsemel's post, you might wanna reconsider your position before you go further..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 3,193 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,222
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.