Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
You're obviously new here so I'll give you a tip.

Mark D. is probably one of the best hunters on this site and an honest gent.

Shot distances that seem ridiculous to you and I are made every season by him and a few others that post on this board.

Terrain will dictate how we hunt certain animals.

I've killed enough whitetails with a bow to sink a ship , so I know about being close.

Whether you are killing them at spitting distance or over in the next township, both require a lot of skill, patience and most of all....practice.

Those that have the skill to do it are hunters. Those that don't, but try are not.

JM

JM, you know I agree across the board about Doberdawg and Dogzapper. If they say it, it's true, at least within the realm of their experience. But I'm feeling that ol' argumentative bug so here I go. smile

Everyone is gonna yell at me again but may I politely make the point that YOU hunting an unknown species (for you) in unknown terrain and conditions (for you) for the first perhaps only time (for you), is not the same thing as an Elk County native or even GUIDE with 50+ elk notched on their rifle...

7-08 is a bitchin' cartridge; my second and third BG rifles were chambered in it. It rocks. It takes a mighty big stick to get me to argue against 7-08 <g>. And if it's all you've got, [bleep], lace up your boots and go elk hunting, what are you waiting for?!

The day may come that you are stalking within XXX yards of the bull you glassed up, setting up that broadside shot, yadda yadda yadda. That's not how I've seen elk hunting play out. I've seen pressured animals, things happening fast, shot angles all over the map, adrenalin-fueled elk ready for the 1/4 mile Death Dash if you leave that option open. I've seen entire hunts coming down to (1) chance. Maybe no chance!

Anyway do as you see fit- I've carried a 7-08 elk hunting, it's an elk carteidge for certain, but in the end as I said before:

I like my elk rifle to kick a little harder than that. wink

Donning Nomex (<< great band name!)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

John, thanks for starting this thread because...

This has been one of the most enjoyable threads on here that I've had the pleasure to read.

The contributions from Dober and Dogzapper and others in the know have been practical, down to earth, matter of fact, and very informative for those who would have ears to hear.

I trust as a bowhunter that you John, know well where to place the bullet and when to place it.

You said back a post or two, "I've got my answer," and for anybody else like myself who might have been listening there was a lot to be gleaned from this thread.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not new here. have certainly killed more Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer and probably Big Whitetails than you. Been at it 53 years.

Long Range "hunting" has nothing to do with HUNTING. It is long range target shooting using wonderful animals as a target.

I have shot it a lot of 600 to 1000 yard matches when Uncle Sam was my boss. Far more shots down those ranges than 99.9% of the 700 yard Elk shooters.
The variables of wind, mirage and the fact that those pesky anumals are not stapled to a backer put 200 yards as the limit for the average "dude" and 400 for the guy/gal who has spent years hunting the high, back country.

If you can't get within 200/400 yards then you pass the shot or try a different approach. I know four very successful guides in ID & WY and they consider their hunt a failure if they can't get a "dude" into that 200 yard window.
A try at "success at any cost" usually results in a lost animal left to be eaten alive by Yotes, Wolves or Bears as well as a real lousy memory that the hunter will carry forever. I still think on the Whitetail I lost 30 years ago with an arrow placed just a bit too far back. Those are the regrets hunters bear forever.

IMHO "tactical wanna be snipers" are the biggest curse to afflict hunting in my lifetime. Shooting is a small part of the art of hunting and an even smaller part of the pleasure and excitement of the hunt.

Would this kill an Elk at 700 yards ? For sure as a few Yotes have found out when they paused to look back "a fur piece away". (M70 300 H&H Bull Gun BalVar 6-24)

[Linked Image]

But this killed my best bull at 18 paces, in a jungle and I could smell him.
That is HUNTING! (1809 Baker 61 caliber military flintlock)

[Linked Image]

Just one old curmudgeon's experience & opinion

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I ever had the chance at hunting outside my home state of Alabama,I would tote my Ruger 77 RSI stainless in 7mm08
with Factory Remington 140 gr. Cor lokts.The Factory 18 1/2 in.
barrel would be handy anywhere on foot or atv or horseback
or backpack.
AMRA
WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Molan Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
I am not new here. have certainly killed more Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer and probably Big Whitetails than you. Been at it 53 years.

Long Range "hunting" has nothing to do with HUNTING. It is long range target shooting using wonderful animals as a target.

I have shot it a lot of 600 to 1000 yard matches when Uncle Sam was my boss. Far more shots down those ranges than 99.9% of the 700 yard Elk shooters.
The variables of wind, mirage and the fact that those pesky anumals are not stapled to a backer put 200 yards as the limit for the average "dude" and 400 for the guy/gal who has spent years hunting the high, back country.

If you can't get within 200/400 yards then you pass the shot or try a different approach. I know four very successful guides in ID & WY and they consider their hunt a failure if they can't get a "dude" into that 200 yard window.

Would this kill an Elk at 700 yards ? For sure as a few Yotes have found out when they paused to look back "a fur piece away".

But this killed my best bull at 18 paces, in a jungle and I could smell him.
That is HUNTING!

Please enlighten us of the animals you have killed Lawrence... 3 or 4 elk... a couple of mule deer and a handful of antelope... Whitetails with a shotgun while living in NY...

You are a transplant to WY and run to FL when the weather gets cold but you try to come off as this Awesome Hunting Machine... Your hunting skills for Game out "West" is very limited...

Now you claim to have shot in 600 and 1000 yard matches while workin for Uncle Sam... When did you have time between being a "Fighter Pilot" and bunking with "USMC Snipers" to enter matches... Matches that the Air Force put on in the late 60's and early 70's... Really Lawrence...

Your imagination must be in Hyper drive now...

Who do you think you are to give out "Hunting" advice or condemn those that shoot beyond what you conceive as "Ethical"...

It's okay to shoot at coyotes at "Unethical" distances but not at game animals... Don't all animals deserve the same "Ethical" treatment....

Your "Best" bull that you are so proud of was not of your doing... It was a paid hunt in Idaho and your "Guide" sat you down and called the bull in to you... No hunting skills were involved... Good luck trying to get that 370 score you claim on that one... Unless you cut 6" off the tape...

Continue on with the lies Lawrence...

BTW... Where's those 50+ gun club members you signed on...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To the OP...

I used a 7-08 last year quite a bit... I get to kill a few elk each year and the 7-08 worked well...

Shots were between 50 yds out to 525 yds and I had NO problems at all... I used the 139 GMX with out fail...

Shot placement of course is the key factor and I would feel comfortable taking shoots out to 600 and a little more if the need arose with the 7-08 and the GMX load...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oldbossgooddouchelady1942 just got owned.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
POST DELETED

Last edited by Waders; 07/10/11.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Funny how the 22-06 pronghorn, regardless of which state it was shot in, wasn't within the 300 yard window he advocates...
I am so tired reading about so called "hunters" who shoot our great big game at 700 yards. If you can't get within 300, you are not a hunter, just a shooter.

Last edited by pointer; 07/10/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only killed one elk with the GMX load at 350 yards, but was impressed, to say the least.

I have killed a bunch more, but this is a good sample of 140 grain ballistic tip kills. No monsters, but that is the nature of hunting over the counter units with high hunter density. It is tough hunting and it is rare I have seen anything over the size of a rag horns.

I have had NO problem at all busting shoulders with said bullet from any angle. They don't always exit, but are "usually" found right under the offside skin. Bulls SELDOM take a step after being hit. Flinch
[Linked Image]

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So far the GMX has preformed well for me... I've killed a schit ton of elk with it last season and all did not take it well...

It might be my most favorite-est boolit in my 7-08 ever...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How far out are you killing them with the GMX? I'm thinking 400-450 is about the extended range they will reliably expand. They don't leave much of an exit hole. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel the 140 NAB would be a great choice, and an Amax for longish shots where the bullet will expand will and still retain.

Love the 130 AB in my 260 and 6.5x55 loads and they as does the 140 .277 version, share very similar SD/BC.

No doubt Barnes and PTs will do as most any 140 whether Corelokts, or the 1 gr lighter 139s..Rem's original '140' Corelokt bullet in the 7/08.

Shot placement.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
You're obviously new here so I'll give you a tip.

Nah, he ain't new here, he just has to change his name every so often because of the stupid crap he says on threads like this.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John Moses, I think a 7/08 is much better elk cartridge than say a .243 Win.
I would handload a 140 gr premium bullet. And keep my shots inside 400 yards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed 'em out to 525 and wouldn't hesitate to take it longer if I needed too... Ive seen 50 cent size exit holes...

I usually take high shoulder shots and the GMX is Hell on bone...

I have a few recovered bullets from the 450-500 range and expansion looked good... If/when I can find them, I'll hang a pic or two...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am so tired reading about so called "hunters" who shoot our great big game at 700 yards. If you can't get within 300, you are not a hunter, just a shooter.

Within that envelope of 300 yards a 140 TSX will kill any Elk that lives if placed in the boiler room. Remember it's just a 7x57 in a different case.

This is utter bullsh**. In terms of ethics, there is no difference between a 700 yard shot and a 300 yard shot, provided the hunter has the skill to place the bullet.

Getting within 300 yards of an elk requires no special skills, or for that matter, 200 yards. There's nothing special about getting within 300 yards.

The only thing "different" about 300 yards is, the average guy thinks 300 is within his range, and knows that 700 is not.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to see some pics of the recovered nuggets. I haven't recovered any laugh They are good on bone for sure. I still think they could have made the nose underneath the plastic tip a bit wider for longer range expansion. I have only shot one elk with them in .30-06 last year, but I was impressed. Flinch

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

Within that envelope of 300 yards a 140 TSX will kill any Elk that lives if placed in the boiler room. Remember it's just a 7x57 in a different case.

This is utter bullsh**. In terms of ethics, there is no difference between a 700 yard shot and a 300 yard shot, provided the hunter has the skill to place the bullet.

Getting within 300 yards of an elk requires no special skills, or for that matter, 200 yards. There's nothing special about getting within 300 yards.

The only thing "different" about 300 yards is, the average guy thinks 300 is within his range, and knows that 700 is not.

There you go clouding his theory with rational thinking... How dare you... grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[Linked Image]

Obviously you survived, but it looks like you were in the opening stages of cardiac arrest.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,683
Posts18,513,474
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.