Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shrike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My 1886 Win. ( Jap. mfg.) is factory drilled/tapped for a side mounted receiver sight. I looked at acrude pot metal affair produced by Lyman. No thanks.
<br>I am looking for a nice one out of steel, with nice graduations.
<br>Can anyone suggest me a manufacturer who produces something like that?
<br>Thanks.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shrike: I ended up with a Williams Foolproof. Although it's not a bad sight it really isn't flexible enough for 45-70 use. I had ordered a Lyman 66WB through my dealer but he couldn't get one. Now, if this model of 66 is the same as earlier models it should be of steel. Also, it should have a push button release which lets you adjust the vertical adjustment quickly. I wrote Williams about producing a Foolproof for hunting use with cartridges of this type. My thoughts were that it should have an aperture similar to the P14/P17 Enfield battle sight aperture plus a shortened flip up aperture slide that would allow you to extend the range to about 250 yards. I'm guessing that a slide with about 1/2-3/4" of adjustment would do the trick and not interfere with shell ejection. So far no response from them. A sight like that wouldn't suit the long range target shooters but it would sure work for the effective hunting distances the cartridge is suitable for. The steel sights , being heavier , are more prone to cause the mounting screws to shear under recoil. A sight of aluminum frame construction would be fine by me if it was well made. Still not happy with my sight but sure do like the rifle. It is a shooter. besto.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Search the web auction houses and the shotgun news. The newer Williams and Lyman Peeps are aluminum construction. The Win. m1886 and m71 were offered with factory peep sights back in the old days. Maybe you can find one of those. Check gunshows also...you may be able to buy the sight you need right off a used rifle. I'm sure someone somewhere has the sight you desire sitting in a dusty old box on a shelf...and would like to sell it to you.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Actually the old Lyman sight that I refer to as the "long side" (too lazy to search the references for #) was quite effective as used on 86's and 95's. The sight model that had the screw adjustment for windage being preferrable to the model that had to be drifted left or right. These had a sort of wing screw that allowed you to adjust elevation quickly to known reference marks. Too bad Lyman went aluminum with their 66. The all steel was a lifetime investment. If the aluminum frame is as well done as Williams it's probably still good.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
www.lymanproducts.com lists two types of reciever sights for the Win. and Japanese '86. One is a nifty flip up tang sight.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 38 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,121
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.