Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
I've been looking for a light weight 22LR. Something to carry for grouse while scouting and doing trail cameras. Planning on carrying it in a scabbard or some sort of waist holster. I've tried the pistol route both revolver and semi-auto. But neither is accurate enough to consistantly kill grouse out to 30-40 yards.

Not interested in the AR-7. Looked at the Pack-Rifle, but too exspensive and delicate looking. Looks like a TC Hot Shot is the lightest, and thats where I'm leaning right now. Was thinking of ways to lighten it up. The first was to cut the barrel down from 19" to 16.25" Should drop a few ounces, if it doesn't make the rifle too short overall. Not sure if fluting the barrel would save enough to make it worth it. Or possibly taking some metal off the reciever with an end-mill bit and a drill press. Thought about hand shaping a stock out of foam and then putting some sort of coating on it.

Any thoughts or input?

Last edited by Quaka Wacka; 07/08/11.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'd go with a Ruger 10/22 SS carbine in a folding stock like Butler Creek's:
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about grouse at 40 yards but the paclite barrel and receiver seem pretty nice to us. Son is carrying one out the door now on an elk scouting trip today. I may need to get one as well soon.

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Guess I should have specified my weight goal. The Hot shot weighs about 2# 12OZ. I was hoping to get as close to 2#'s as possible. The Pack-Rifle is 15.5oz, but costs 425$

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Every good revolver or semi 22 pistol I've shot, once you sort through ammo, and put a dot or optics on it to help(most folks can't shoot well enough with irons) would be more than good enough for grouse to 40 yards... One of my rugers with cheap ammo shoots around an inch at 50 yards. Feed them GOOD ammo and they'll work.

Just FYI.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
henry mini bolt small but deadly

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not a cheap way to go but I put one of the 16" Tactical Solutions barrels on a Ruger 10-22. Mine is in a Hogue stock with a 3-9X42 Sightron scope and it still only weighs a hair over 5 lbs. With a ligher stock and scope I bet you could easily get it down to 4.5 lbs.

Last edited by JMR40; 07/09/11. Reason: fixed typo's

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You might want to check this out:
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/PRK.html

Not real cheap though.

Ed T

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The stock part of that tigoat conversion alone would make a pretty huge difference without going to the trouble and expense of a carbon barrel. I've been thinking about fabbing up an aluminum stick stock (picture a pack stay) for one of my sons' Chipmunks for years. I think it might cost me less than $275 though.

In general, if you want to go light, it is very hard to beat a Chipmunk/Crickett/Henry single shot, particularly if you lose the stock and craft something a bit more unconventional. I have only messed with Chipmunks (sadly absorbed by Crickett) and the four I've seen have been very good shooters.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Browning semiauto. It might be a bit heavier than 2 lbs but it has range and accuracy for exceeding your specs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Every good revolver or semi 22 pistol I've shot, once you sort through ammo, and put a dot or optics on it to help(most folks can't shoot well enough with irons) would be more than good enough for grouse to 40 yards... One of my rugers with cheap ammo shoots around an inch at 50 yards. Feed them GOOD ammo and they'll work.

Just FYI.

That's it. And to keep the weight in the 2 lb area I dont see a rifle that would do much better. Plus the gun would be ready, wont need to put it together when needed.

My MKIII's shoot like rost495's with the right ammo.

Last edited by passport; 07/09/11.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by CCH
The stock part of that tigoat conversion alone would make a pretty huge difference without going to the trouble and expense of a carbon barrel. I've been thinking about fabbing up an aluminum stick stock (picture a pack stay) for one of my sons' Chipmunks for years. I think it might cost me less than $275 though.

In general, if you want to go light, it is very hard to beat a Chipmunk/Crickett/Henry single shot, particularly if you lose the stock and craft something a bit more unconventional. I have only messed with Chipmunks (sadly absorbed by Crickett) and the four I've seen have been very good shooters.

Thats a good idea about the, aluminum stay. Next time you have the stock off one of those cricketts, could you weigh it and PM me?

Ed T- Thanks for the heads up on the tigoat conversion. One of the Tigoat guys (I believe the son) was putting out the Pack-Rifle. I didn't know they were making a conversion kit. Little spendy, but looks like what I'm looking for. And going ultralight is never cheap.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
23 ounces sans stock.

Oldie but goody discussion on the topic elsewhere. See how long I've been procrastinating on trying something? wink

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?19082-Pakrifle&highlight=chipmunk

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Thanks

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Titanium Goat has my attention! Crude designs, but not bad methinks!

Also, wish Tactical Solutions would offer 10inch or even 12inch barrels for the Ruger pistols. Would give near rifle accuracy, but also performance!!!!

I have seen (on the NET) skeleton-like "handles" (that resemble the TiGoat "stock") when held against the grip of the Ruger pistols serve as a rest and realy help stabilize the pistol. Don't know anyone could call it a "stock" since the device I'm talking about isn't actually attached to the pistol.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have rigged a buttplate that slips on the end of a trekking pole to act as a "stock" for a handgun.

Ed T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Walther P22 with the 3.4" barrel is what I carry. Always have a clip of birdshot and one clip of YellowJackets with me.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Walther P22 with the 3.4" barrel is what I carry. Always have a clip of birdshot and one clip of YellowJackets with me.

Dober
You're risking severe chastisement with that post. There are those on this forum who would crucify a guy for calling a magazine a clip. grin

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (160user, 16penny, 204guy, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,840
Posts18,496,843
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.