Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm hoping one of you Winchester fans can help me resolve a problem with a newly aquired Model 70 .in 300 mag, 1967 vintage.
<br>
<br>After getting this thing home, it was discovered the safety would not come on when cocked. After some closer examination, it is evident someone filed the face of the striker lug , probably in hopes of improving trigger performance.
<br>
<br>I have TIG and MIG, so it will be easy to build up the stiker face.
<br>The problem ,is I have no other Model 70's in which to compare bolts, to determine original angle of striker. It is obvious where the filing started at the lowest point. Need a measurement of distance from end of cocking indicator to beginning of incline on striker face, or, the degree of angle on striker face.
<br>The measurements I have now are 54 deg. and the lenght just mentioned is .802"
<br>I know this material missing is the safety problem, as it functions fine with some layers of tape on the face of striker lug. An alternative to this would be to replace firing pin, striker assembly, but it seems like a simple repair to me . Any input on this is appreciated, Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir
<br> There is a much better way to repair the safety on your model 70 . It is better to alter the safety as long as it is done correctly. Please do not try to do this if you are not familiar with how this works. Give me a call if you like at 281-328-5458 and I will explain what you need to do. I hope I dont seem rude here but this is something you dont want to screw up ! I will be in the shop most of the afternoon.
<br>Small groups
<br>Charlie Sisk

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Charlie
<br> Another gunsmith finally returned my call and give me the alternative method to this repair, which makes a whole lot more sense than the welding approach.
<br> I will call you and confirm this ,so I know he's on the right page as well. Appreciate you guys tolerating us do-it-yourselfers, and sharing the trade secrets.

Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Charlie
<br>
<br>Thanks to your good advice, the saftey is once again operable.
<br>
<br> Just to confirm it is functioning properly, there is a slight hesitation or resistance when applying the saftey, then it smooths up. The saftey cams the striker back, about .024 "
<br>
<br>Is this initial resistance normal, or should I do one more touch up to get it smooth from the start ? Sorry for all the questions, but it's been a good while since I've owned a Model 70, and that one didn't see much use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is normal. Sounds like you have it right. A slight resistance will help hold things in place and let you know it is working when you apply it.
<br>Charlie Sisk

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
IC B2

757 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Charlie, Would you consider sharing the info with me if I call you? I installed a timmney trigger on my model 70 and have the same problem. 757

Pursue Perfection

Capture Excellence
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir
<br>My number is 281-328-5458. The number is also on the wed link if you need it later.
<br>Small groups
<br>Charlie Sisk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to have you around Charlie.
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're doing a pretty good job with this site Rick. More and more quality people all of the time. Good luck, Troy

757 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks Charlie for sharing your time and knowledge. I greatly appreciate it! 757

Pursue Perfection

Capture Excellence
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (219DW, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 69 invisible), 2,966 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,677
Posts18,534,241
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.