Print Thread
Hop To
J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm taking my Dad on a hunt in Northern BC for 12 days this August and we need some "day" packs. Enough to carry our gear and food for the day and hepefully have the added benefit of being able to strap on a rifle. We won't be packing meat, just gear for the day so something on the lighter side is preferred.

We'll be hunting on horseback to commute to the hunting grounds then heading out on foot.

The Opsrey Kestral 38 caught my eye. It's lightweight, in the right size range, my question is can it hold a rifle?
http://www.rei.com/product/764215/osprey-kestrel-38-pack

Same deal with the Black Diamond Axis 33
http://www.rei.com/product/813366/black-diamond-axis-33-pack

On the little bit bigger side there is the Black Diamond Axiom
http://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-axiom-40-backpack-2440-2563cu-in

Of course beyond these are all the usual suspects of Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock. Anyone have much experience with packs in this size range?

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got an Osprey Aether 70 which looks similar to the Kestral and if you look at the picture, you can see a side pocket on the pack and a tesnsioning strap near the top. I carry my rifle on that pocket and use the strap to secure the barrel and it works pretty well for me. I'd also consider one of the Eberlestock packs with the rifle scabbard on the back of the pack. The X1E looks like it would work perfectly for your dad.

http://www.eberlestock.com/X1E%20Euro.htm

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The side pockets were a big reason I was interested in the Osprey packs.

I was looking at the eberlestock packs (and all the other "hunting" packs) and I'm not sure I want to go for the extra 2lbs that comes with them (most "backpacking" packs are 3ish and most "hunting" are 5ish lbs).

Not to mention I can get the "backpacking" packs a bit cheaper though I don't want to get what I pay for smile

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I use both "hunting" and "back packing/day pack" designs for both day hikes and hunting.
The better hunting packs are designed to carry more weight comfortably. Sometimes, like in the Kifarus, alot more weight. That's because we hunters carry heavier things, like optics, field dressing gear, and more clothing for out fall hunts than do the summer back packer/hiker sorts.
The other thing is that off the self stuff may or may not fit you well when loaded with what you wish to carry. This is probably the most important consideration of all. The pack has to fit and carry the load well with your body size and shape. If a cheaper, off the shelf pack with do this for you, than why not ? I went to the Kifarus mostly because they are more comnfortable carrying the weight I need to pack and do so in smaller package. But I did try several off the shelf brands before spending the money on mine.
On carrying a rifle, the Kifaru Gun Bearer fits all sorts of name brand packs. A cheap and simple solution for carrying a rifle. E

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'd just bite the bullet and go with one MR's offerings. You may not haul meat on this trip but you may later on. Check out the MR Dragon Slayer or BigHorn. Plus 1 on the Kifaru Gunbearer.

MtnHtr

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never rode a horse but my thinking is that you would want a frame sheet/flexable pack instead of one with stays. I am kind of a Kifaru grupie but i would recommend a Mystery ranch pack for you situation. Mabye a dragon slayer perhaps with a K gun bearer. I believe a flexable pack frame would be more comfortable for riding a horse where your sitting and looking from side to side alot. I really dont know thats just what i am thinking.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am in the do the Kifaru once and be done! I sold all my G1's and am battling what to get in the G2 line.

Last edited by hunting1; 07/11/11. Reason: typo

Good Shooting!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have recently "borrowed" a Kifaru G2 Express. I am not a backpack expert like a few others on here who have MANY more miles than I do under pack, but I have been training and testing and do have actual boot leather burned under some packs.

The Express was the nicest pack I have ever used, period. For some reason, it just fit me to a T. Just did a timed event with 38lbs in the pack and it carried like a dream.

Certainly spendy, but probably last forever. I did use the optional Omni belt FWIW.

The only thing I would offer is not to get sucked into the hoard of cheaply made Day Packs. Everyone offers something in your load range, from Field and Stream to Remington.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I just talked to MR about the new and improved DragonSlayer. I'm real tempted to grab a couple, but they go into production next week and are "estimated" to be done Aug 18th and I leave the 23rd. I think that is a little too close for comfort for me.

Though, I know I can get an off the shelf anytime if I needed to hedge against delays in delivery. Then again, saving $100 per pack would be nice too.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
+1 on the Kifaru Express ( G1 here) but I've never ridden a horse with it on.

I would also suggest a MR Sweetpea. The Stick-it pocket is a great feature and essentially adds to the pack's listed capacity.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/c.999464/it.A/id.13467/.f?sc=11&category=10

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking at the MR Crew Cab. Looks pretty good. It's pretty slick how it can compress down to 2000 but expand to 5000, once you bag game.

J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I think the Crew Cab is on my list after the pack I get here, or at least something with the NICE frame, especially if I start backpack hunting more.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
My kid has a MR longbow and I have a KU 2200. We have traded back and forth; and I prefer the kifaru when hauling heavier loads. phil

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
i have a dana designs arclight Pipestone You may be interested in. just did a 11 mike trip with it last week.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
S
S
The MR Dragonslayer is the best daypack I've ever used for hunting.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the Mystery Ranch Big Horn myself. They're redesigning it and it should be out later this summer. I prefer the 3,000 cubic inches, it gives me more options that way.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 3,154 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,869
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.