Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm looking into getting a reloading press and would like some help.

I like the idea of something like the RCBS pro 2000 (5 stages - I think), but am open to all suggestions.

I'm really just planning on reloading 45ACP, maybe eventually 300WM.

Also, where's the best place to source primers, powder, and bullets?

What else will I need to be all set to reload? I have a good amount of empty casings from store bought ammo...

Remember: SAFETY FIRST................................................................................................then pull the trigger smile
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If it was me, I'd buy one of the RCBS starter kits like the Partner Press kit. It'll be a bit slow when loading ACP's in bulk but I think you need to learn the basics first before jumping into bulk loading.

Another option is to buy the basics used on fleabay or Gunbroker - but the RCBS kits are hard to beat.

Best sources of components:
Weidners, Natchez, MidSouth, TNT is where I look first.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 to the single stage kit to begin with. You can always use it later for other stuff if you get into progressives.

Powder Valley is another good source for components.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I would rather have a RCBS Rockchucher when loading for a 300wm, find a kit with one and your all set, if your going to be loading alot of 45 acp a Dillon progressive will be the way to go!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You need to learn to walk before you run. Dont go progressive until you learn to do it single stage first.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you go to www.predatormasters.com and look under the Reloading Forum there are 17 pages of tips uner "Help Reloaders", including lists of tools and presses folks recommend.

[You have to register to access all the pages there, otherwise it looks like there are only 8-9 to the reader, but you can read those 8-9 without registering]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't overlook the Hornady Lock n Load kits. Don't know how they compare in price to the RCBS ones but I sure like the lock n load die changes.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I would rather have a RCBS Rockchucher when loading for a 300wm, find a kit with one and your all set, if your going to be loading alot of 45 acp a Dillon progressive will be the way to go!

1+
Never been able to understand it when people suggest a newbie buy a Dillon for their first press. Ten years ago I bought an unopened Rockchucker kit from a friend that became convinced he needed a Dillon for his first press. The Dillon is still in the box, but so's the Rockchucker. I doubt my 1974 model 'Chucker will ever wear out.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A good compromise between a single stage and a progressive is a turret press. I have a Lee Classic Turret press that I love. Redding makes a great one and so does Lyman. The advantage of the turret is that you are not always swapping dies.

The Lee has easily interchangeable turrets. I simply set my dies up and swap out the turret for another that is already set up. The 4-hole turrets can hold two rifle calibers and one 3 die set. At last count I have ten turrets set up and ready to go. I only have to set up dies for seldom used calibers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm with the guys recommending that you start with a single stage press before moving on. This will make the learning curve easier & shorter. I'm partial to buying quality once and therefore, would recommend that you get the RCBS starter kit.
Don't forget to add several reloading manuals to your bench and I personally like the Sierra & Nosler books. If you decide to load Barnes bullets, then their manual as well.
As an aside, RCBS has unparalleled customer support only equaled by Leupold.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 07/16/11.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like Lyman equipment (although I do have some RCBS and Hornady too) and their manual has a great 'how to' section.

On another forum, a new guy has been asking a lot of questions and had several problems with his Lee progressive. I think there is just too much stuff going on and he can't watch it all. Thus the problems.

Dale

This space for rent

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Agreed on the single stage. RCBS is nice because I can go anywhere in town and get RCBS stuff. Wich if you go in spurts of breaking schit, Its nice to have replacements in 30mins. That said I kinda like the redding stuff a lil more.

If it were me I would look at whats in the starter kits and then ask on the classifieds here and see how much equipment you can round up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 3dtestify, 325wsm1, 280ACKIMP, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 10,227 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,340
Posts18,546,364
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.