Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Over the last couple of years we have been trying to get my dad to apply for the Oregon hunt that we go on every couple years. We finally got him talked into applying with us and we got drawn. Now he has never been out of state hunting before and was stoked. He couldn't wait, after over 45 years of hunting he is finally going to venture past the Washington border.....

So we thought.

He is not to computer savvy so while I was trying to get him to apply for the hunt on line he decided that it would be a better idea to call ODFW directly. He talked to a nice lady there and she told him to fax in his info including payment information. So naturally my dad did. He then called the next day to confirm that he was in the group and the lady he spoke with confirmed that he was in fact in the group.

Well after we drew we started getting plans together, he schedules vacation etc...

But when he went to buy his tag the ODFW have no record of him even purchasing a license let alone getting drawn for a hunt. Seems the problem is that either they never got his fax or misplaced it, and when he called to make sure that he was in the group and they confirmed that he in fact was, it never crossed my dads mind that him and my brother have the same first middle and last name. So when he called to confirm all he did was confirm that my brother was already in the group.

I'm not sure what happened exactly but it really bums me out. We are trying to talk him into buying an over the counter bear tag and coming along anyways, but I'm not sure he is going to.

Hopefully the hunt goes better that the application process.

Last edited by heavywalker; 07/15/11.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
that really sucks sorry man! bet hes regretting having a jr now.

the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That does sucks.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yeah it sucks pretty bad, did you hear anything from the Res?

Last edited by heavywalker; 07/14/11.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang. What a bummer!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That blows. I'd give anything for my dad to share a deer camp with me one year. You guys that grew up hunting with your fathers are very lucky.

WarDamnEagle
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is to bad. When my friends or family have wanted to hunt oregon. I do all the applications, pay all the fees then i can watch the charges come on my card. Confirming ODFW processed the paper work. Then once i see this charge, i call everyone and ask if they all received the lic/tag application in the mail. Then they reimburse me the costs. I also track all points and the odds to draw. My stepdad died waiting to draw a nonresident tag. 5 points and still could not draw a tag a resident draws with 1-2 points. Oregon is very nonresident unfriendly.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya. That's why I do a lot of the hand holding and butt wiping with newbies/lost/confused/intimidated at my place, on my computer or dining table. I'll let them type in their personal stuff or write their own checks, but I make sure their "i"s are dotted and "t"s crossed before I cut them loose if it's important to me that they come on "my" hunting trip.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Man sorry to hear about that that is why I don't trust faxes but what can you do? It sounds like he followed up and every thing.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by exbiologist
I hear ya. That's why I do a lot of the hand holding and butt wiping with newbies/lost/confused/intimidated at my place, on my computer or dining table. I'll let them type in their personal stuff or write their own checks, but I make sure their "i"s are dotted and "t"s crossed before I cut them loose if it's important to me that they come on "my" hunting trip.

That is the only part that really pisses me off about the entire thing, I tried to get him to come up to my house and do it. I told him I would do everything for him all he had to do was bring his credit card and his personal information that is required. My brother kept telling him that he couldn't do it because it was his first time applying for the hunt that he had to do it over the phone and fax or mail in his info. I kept saying bullschit, that they could do it online, but neither of them seemed to believe me so here we are, a man down.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Oregon's system is now based on ones hunter ID number. There could be 50 Joe Smiths, and there should not be an issue. Crap happens though.

Any chargers to cards or checks cashed?

1Minute
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
No charges anywhere, I think the fax just didn't get there or was misplaced.

And I think that the reason for the confusion was that he gave the lady our group leaders hunter ID and asked if to varify if he was in the group, him having the same name as my brother....

Last edited by heavywalker; 07/15/11.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wareagle
That blows. I'd give anything for my dad to share a deer camp with me one year. You guys that grew up hunting with your fathers are very lucky.

Plus one!

Bummer, heavywalker! Some "social engineering" at ODFW might save the day... worth a try...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, if he may not make it to another tag and hunt and if i had a tag and he was my dad- i know who he could hunt with and i know who could pull the trigger. 'course, i have been referred to as an azzhol. I mean, what's the odds you'll miss out on a booner?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Jeff, been there and done that, and was stonewalled....

He will be able to go the next go round hell he still has quite a few good years left in him.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't think I'd take no for an answer just yet. I'd put in some (very polite...this ain't one of them times to start cussin people out) calls to folks in supervisory positions and explain the situation, and see if there's any way they could hook Pops up due to it being an administrative error, and that he was told he was, in fact, in the group.

If you talk to everyone short of the governor and the answer's still no...well, better luck next time.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
When my Dad was in his 80's the same thing happened to him. he said "I've been hunting for 60 years..this one's on them" and he went anyway

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,572
Posts18,491,887
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.