Print Thread
Hop To
T
tt35 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
OK, let me ask his in a different way...

Are the Eberlestock suspensions on their hunting packs (vs day packs) pretty similar in construction/design? If so, does it appear that the new internal frame packs (Destroyer/Battleship) are simialr design? Guesses on the high-end load capabilty of the suspension?

http://www.eberlestock.com/V69%20Destroyer%20and%20V90%20Battleship.htm

Thanks for any input.

tt

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd call and ask. I have an older J105 that I bought directly from Glen Eberle some years back. Back then, he made the J104 with a lighter frame sheet so that it would flex with the body, but it was intended for lighter loads. When he made my J105, he used a heavier frame sheet that did not flex much with the body, but it was designed for heavier loads than his 104. He may very well be doing the same thing with his packs today having some models with stiff frame sheets and others with lighter frame sheets. Glen fit the suspension of the pack to my build and it has worked very well for me in carrying some fairly heavy loads in an athletic clambering fashion. But, it does not carry super heavy upright loads quite as well as the larger frame packs. If I'm bushwacking while hauling, I tend to use the Eberle, but if I have room to walk upright while hauling, I tend to use a bulkier frame pack.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
tt35 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the input, Gary. Yeah, I probably should just call Eberle and get a comparison from the designer. I like the looks of the pack. I probably am too danged old to be hauling over 100 pounds anyway but under the right circumstances I'd like to know if it will handle it. My main beef with the Kelty 5600 I borrowed for our Spring bear hunt was that the hip belt wouldn't stay in place with the 85#'s or so load coming out. Otherwise, the pack worked excellent as far as I was concerned.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are packing without much off angled clambering, without trying to bushwack through heavy cover, and you are able to pretty much walk upright, especially if using the aid of hiking staffs, even if hiking up and down steep grades; I'm of the opinion that nothing carries large, bulky, super heavy loads better than a good framed freighter pack such as the Barney's. Don't think you can get any better than that if you have the personal goods to pack monster loads.

On the other hand, such a bulky freighter pack is a pain in the rears to maneuver through obstacles while clambering hard. In that case, I prefer a more athletic design. But then again, I cannot carry but so much weight safely when doing such clambering.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 007FJ, 1234, 54 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,107
Posts18,522,570
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.