-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
At the suggestion of member "16 Bore", I am reposting this information on this forum in the hope that it may save some member from getting dinged by Ebay,
having US Customs seize a scope or getting in trouble with the US State Department.

Please no rants about Ebay and PayPal..... some hate them some use them, that's not the thread topic.
I hope the trolls leave it alone this time..... we'll see.

Here's the post, thanks !

Forever it has been okay with Ebay to ship scopes anywhere.

The US Government, however, forbids shipments to any country (except the USA) in the Western Hemisphere or identified terrorist sponsered nations (even if going to APOs). (Commerce & State Departments)

Ebay has now added scopes to their list of "restricted" gun parts. Scopes may only be shipped to the USA.

Long and short: no scopes to Western Hemisphere (except USA). If you want to sell to other (non terrorist) countries, don't use Ebay.

So far, no other aution site gives a rat's azz if you want to sell a scope to an Aussie.

It (Ebay) is in Kalifornia, after all, so rational thinking should not be expected.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good for them. I read about the recaptured U.S. Smiper rifle that was equipped with a Tasco in Iraq. It could have well come from some unknowing U.S. eBay seller.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sopershole
At the suggestion of member "16 Bore", I am reposting this information on this forum in the hope that it may save some member from getting dinged by Ebay,
having US Customs seize a scope or getting in trouble with the US State Department.

Please no rants about Ebay and PayPal..... some hate them some use them, that's not the thread topic.

The US Government, however, forbids shipments to any country (except the USA) in the Western Hemisphere or identified terrorist sponsered nations (even if going to APOs). (Commerce & State Departments)

Ebay has now added scopes to their list of "restricted" gun parts. Scopes may only be shipped to the USA.

Long and short: no scopes to Western Hemisphere (except USA). If you want to sell to other (non terrorist) countries, don't use Ebay.

So far, no other aution site gives a rat's azz if you want to sell a scope to an Aussie.

It (Ebay) is in Kalifornia, after all, so rational thinking should not be expected.

From Brownells shipping area but may explain a little more aboout why.

This is the Commerce Department EAR Section 774 Category 0 listing. The following classifications will need a license:

ECCN 0A018 � Items which are on the Wassenaar Munitions List

ECCN 0A984 � Shotguns, barrel length 18 inches (45.72 cm) or over; buckshot shotgun shells; except equipment used exclusively to treat or tranquilize animals, and except arms designed solely for signal, flare, or saluting use; and parts, not elsewhere specified.

ECCN 0A987 � Optical sighting devices for firearms (including shotguns controlled by 0A984); and parts, not elsewhere specified.

Canadian customers can click here for information regarding firearms purchases: http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/import_e.asp

Canadian customers can click here for information regarding firearms parts purchases: http://www.international.gc.ca/eicb/military/faq-en.asp

Canadian customers are required to provide and Import Authorization which states that you can import firearm components. Our Department of State will only accept a certified English translation of this import permit. DO NOT send your original copy because you will need it to receive the goods when they come to you.

If your country does not require an import license, you will need to post us a certified letter reflecting this information. Your written, signed order is required, as well as the guidelines previously mentioned. If you have any questions you may contact our Foreign Sales Department

And I f the others are stiill allowing it, they soon wont after they get slapped. Heres a link to an article you might enjoy. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rm-illegally-trafficked-Middle-East.html

Swifty

Last edited by Swifty52; 07/15/11.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amazing how Ebay has taken on so much law enforcement.

I just have to question the why/how of this.

If I ran an auction site, I would not accept responsibility for anything other than getting your auction posted accurately and making sure the bids were posted accurately.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's not just eBay. Many of our customers/manufacturers including my own are not shipping products from the US but rather requiring those transactions be conducted in country.

Compliance has become very important for all big companies these days.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's about litigation...nothing more, or less. It's not worth the risk. Company lawyers make the call.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've known about this for a long time,and therefore have never had an Ebay scope shipped to Canada.It's not a problem with Canadian law but it's against US law.For the same reason I have never bought a scope from a Campfire member in the States,even those willing to ship to Canada.I wouldn't want them to get in trouble with US laws regardless of whether I agree with the law or not.WE pay 25-30% more for a Leupold up here,but it's worth it if it keeps a good guy in the States from getting screwed over by his Government. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm all for the ban. Too many scopes from the USA ending up on rag head rifles killing Americans.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I'm all for the ban. Too many scopes from the USA ending up on rag head rifles killing Americans.
The ban doesn't mean that anyone anywhere in most civilised countries(Canada,Australia,NZ,GB,and others)can't walk in to a store and buy a Leupold,Burris or any other US scope.It just means that people in these countries(like me) can't order one from the States.The law is a waste of time the Chinese,Koreans and Russians make thousands of scopes and they don't care who they sell them to. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Agree 100%. If you have not seen the movie "Lord of War", you should.
If you have the money, someone can get it for you. Ask all the people you know using illegal drugs. Adam Smith was never wrong !

IC B3

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E

As a US Ex-pat living in Canada it pisses me off to no end that I can not buy a rifle in the US and have it shipped up here. I served my country for 20 years in the US Navy, I have passed a police background check in Canada have a gun permit and I own 10 registered long guns. I also can not buy reloading componets, IE brass, bullets, caps, or powder. I guess I dont qualify as I am not a Mexican drug cartel member. As a result of this prices on anything to do with firearms has a price that is nearly double what it would cost in the US. This is because of the mountains of paper work that the United States State Department requires just to buy a scope, rifle, ammo, or rifle parts and export them from the United States and import them to Canada.
Eric Holder must be charged, arrested, prosecuted, and put in jail for violating United States export laws on firearms, ammo and rifle parts. What's good for the goose is good for the gander as the old saying goes.

Last edited by eaglesnester; 07/16/11.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Agree. Have you heard Eric and Anthony are going to take a run at the President an VP jobs ?

Their slogan is to be:

In 2012 Elect

WEINER HOLDER !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Pretty easy for someone to pay someone else a few bucks to pick them up a rifle scope (or 10) at the local gun shop and then carry it out of the county. As easy as it is for illegal aliens to get into the country, it has to be just as easy to take things out of the country. The law banning exports to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, the U.K., Poland, etc. does nothing to keep rifle scopes out of the hands of terrorists.

Besides, as someone else pointed out, how many scopes have "Made in China" on them now, and you can be sure the ChiComs have no qualms about selling (or even giving, as they have in the past) military weaponry to our enemies.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 07/16/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eaglesnester

As a US Ex-pat living in Canada it pisses me off to no end that I can not buy a rifle in the US and have it shipped up here. I served my country for 20 years in the US Navy, I have passed a police background check in Canada have a gun permit and I own 10 registered long guns. I also can not buy reloading componets, IE brass, bullets, caps, or powder. I guess I dont qualify as I am not a Mexican drug cartel member. As a result of this prices on anything to do with firearms has a price that is nearly double what it would cost in the US. This is because of the mountains of paper work that the United States State Department requires just to buy a scope, rifle, ammo, or rifle parts and export them from the United States and import them to Canada.
Eric Holder must be charged, arrested, prosecuted, and put in jail for violating United States export laws on firearms, ammo and rifle parts. What's good for the goose is good for the gander as the old saying goes.

I agree with you, it's a stupid law, but it came on the books during the bush years, Holder had nothing to do with it.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Laws may be repealed Congress or just ignored by the Justice Department .... happens all the time.

The idiots in the Commerce Department took a treaty (that was never signed by Canada) that was designed to keep TERRORIST WEAPONS from traveling inter country in the Western Hemisphere and added everything but the kitchen sink to THEIR list. A typical of out of control Bureaucrats finding ways to justify their continued existence.

Where is Captain Sato when we need him !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.