Hop To
#5431080 07/17/11
J
jd3006 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I picked up my Rem.700 CDL at the smith yesterday and being rushed I did not take it apart there to inspect the work. I had it in for a trigger job and to have the action bedded and the barrel free floated. The smith had instructions in writing as to what I wanted. Today, when I had the time I tried a dollar bill under the barrel and no go. So I then took the rifle apart and it's full length bedded. I have no experience with a full length bedded rifle and wonder how it may shoot as is. I'm also pizzed at the smith because that's not what he had written instructions to do. With 2 so called 'master smiths' at this shop one would think that they might be able to read and follow simple instructions. Who knows, maybe these smiths don't care for bedded actions and floated barrels and decided to do what they thought best. Any suggestions?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot it. Let him know your thoughts and be able to discuss performance.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Seems to me they went ahead and did something you did not specify. I would take it back, make them read the written instructions again while you're there and then hand 'em the rifle and say "fix it"..

I love written instructions - and always ask my customers re: custom rifle work to write them down in detail.. If I have any questions I contact the customer for clarification and make notes.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like he either had his own agenda, or he had someone else in the shop do it with out detailing what the exact instructions were.
I would shoot it first just to see what it does full length bedded. My 98 mauser with #3 contour barrel shot OK when free floated, but shot ragged holes when I went back and full length bedded it. Not the first time I have seen that, even with stiffer stocks and heavier barrels, when I worked in the shop.

Melvin Forbes (NULA) prefers to full length bed as an FYI.

I did not catch your rigs specifics but some combinations of barrel contours and stocks just shoot better FLB'd. Just a thought.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you gave them written instructions, they should have done what you were asking them to do, period. If they prefer full length bedding, they should have discussed it with you and gotten your stamp of approval. Take it back and tell them to what you asked. It might have been an oversight or a miscommunication between employees. They'll probably fix it for you and send you out the door with a smile.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might just have got the best of both worlds, You get to try it full length bedded and if it doesn't do what you want it to do, take it back and have them make it right! A lot of rifles shoot very well full length bedded,

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
You might just have got the best of both worlds, You get to try it full length bedded and if it doesn't do what you want it to do, take it back and have them make it right! A lot of rifles shoot very well full length bedded,

Hmmmmm, didn't think of it like that! +1

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (7mm_Loco, 35, 6mmbrfan, 1_deuce, 338Rules, 7 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,948
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.