Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I am hoping you guys can help me narrow down my choice for a hunting rifle shooting factory ammo.

I am looking to purchase a Practical/Mountain rifle. In the 6-8 lbs range I am primarily looking for a .30 cal the choices are 30-06 or 300WSM. I have a 308 tac rifle but it weighs 15 lbs and I am getting tired (read older) humping it through the bush

This will be my North American Big game rifle. From moose on down to white tail, I have no intention at this time to hunt the big bears. I will be hunting From BC to Quebec and the northern US states.

I am initially looking at Tikka but others have suggested the Winchester M70, or other options

I my put a brake on it for recoil management and follow up shots where needed.

I do not plan to reload for this rifle I already have my plate full for reloading for comps as I spend 1,000 of rounds down range in various disciplines. So factory ammo offerings are the preferred choice. If you have a favorite factory ammo choice I am all ears.

Let me know your thoughts and why you chose what you did.

Thanks
Trevor

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about a 308 in a lighter rifle?

Here's my recipie.

Take one Youth model 700 in 308, it will come with a 20" barrel that's of standard contour weight.

Add a Ti take off stock, Talley's, a 6x36 Leo w/dotz and rock on..

It's cost effective, handy and for me incredibly user friendly.

Just a thought.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winchester Featherweight in 308 or, better yet 30/06. Scope it with a mid range 32mm objective lens variable scope of good quality and you are there. Done. Finishimo. It really is that simple. No need to overthink it or subject yourself to an ugly, soul-less rifle with a plastic stock wrapped around a sheetmetal tube push feed action.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mark's idea is the way to go IMO...

Howver, if you realy want it easy, pick up a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in .308 or .338 Federal and mount a scope.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What Dober said.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
How about a 308 in a lighter rifle?

Here's my recipie.

Take one Youth model 700 in 308, it will come with a 20" barrel that's of standard contour weight.

Add a Ti take off stock, Talley's, a 6x36 Leo w/dotz and rock on..

It's cost effective, handy and for me incredibly user friendly.

Just a thought.

Dober

Interesting rig. How does it shoot?

Last edited by fyshbum; 07/18/11.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been around a couple set up this way and they shoot balls out (that's good right...grin).

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington XCR-II in .30-06.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kimber 8400 Classic in .300 WSM or 84M in .308. You may prefer the Montana, but I have to recommend the Classic, as I just can't handle the looks of anything other than a wood stock. I'd like to take a look at the 84L as well, but haven't seen one yet.

A 2.5-8x36 Leupold or something in that size/weight range in the magnification of your choice would top it off nicely. My Kimber .300 WSM wears a 2.5-16x Bushnell Elite 6500; not a lightweight scope, and it doesn't seem too top-heavy, so you can get away with a bigger scope if you so desire.

I also like the Winchester Featherweight, but the Kimber's a bit lighter.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The tikka in a 30-06 is going to be VERY tough to beat for a "practical" mountain rifle imho. It's light, accurate, and reasonably priced.

I can't like the looks of them at all, but if you don't suffer my vanity then I don't think you could do any "better" with a choice.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i prefer wood/blue, so i suggest a mod 70 featherweight in either 308 or 30-06. mount a good 4x or 3-9x40 and shoot fed premium 165gr partitions in the 308 or fed premium 180gr partitions in the 06'. one man, one rifle, one land! jones used a 700 adl in 06', but you could do the same thing with the mod 70 in 308. whatever you select, good hunting.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What I'd consider ideal might not suit you, but I'll try.
Until you get some experience hunting in the mountains, I'd suggest a standard classic sporter by a major maker that feels good to you with a basic, simple scope.
It needs, most of all, to be something you can shoot well from field positions, standing included.
Contary to the beliefs of some, it doesn't not have to be, or even is desirable to be really light, nor does it have to be chambered for some howling magnum. Nor is it a great idea to mount a fancy scope on it with three adjustment dials. I know hunters who use all of the above and use them well, but I'm of the opinion that most of us do quite well, at least until we get some real experience, with standard sporters chambered for standard cartriages and basic scopes or modest magnification.
As to chamberings, the .308 and the 30'06 have all sorts of high quality ammo that will handle your hunting chores.
After you get some time out there, you can decide what or where you want to go in this area.
BTW, alot of these standard setups are usually pretty easy to tweak for really good performance in the field. That thought can save you lots of money in the long run. E

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
30-06 is the easy choice.

Ruger Mark II or Hawkeye stainless synthetic
Remington 700 ADL synthetic or stainless SPS

Leupy 4x scope matte duplex
Talley Lightweights in low

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trevor,

It seems that Rem's (700 types) get suggested quite a bit on some forums. I find the design second rate. Its cheap in every way including looks. They have cheap extractors, cheap ejectors and even the locking lug section of the bolt body is brazed on!

Look at rifes that have three position safeties that control the firing pins. Such designs include the Kimber 84M and 8400's and Winchester M70's. Rugers are well made also however the safety does not control the firing pin when in the middle postion.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My current hunting scope is a 2.5x10 B&L 4200 all those other high end scopes the B&L Tac 10 and Nightforces are set up on custom guns. I shoot out to a 1,000 durin the season and compete in other disiplines that incorporate movers. I may lack mountains climbing proficencies, but as I hunt primarily Northern Ontario any destination trips can be planned ahead and the needed cardio accounted for.

the caliber choice is based on short barrels,availability and KE to drop game. MY current 308 has a 26 inch barrel so dropping 4-6 inches would lose velocity and FOR ME suggests a little bigger cartridge might be a good fit... commonality of the 30-06 or 300WSM is for far off places where in the event an airline loses my ammo I can walk into any local store and pick up some in my caliber. shooting a 270WSM or a 280 are not as common and stores may not carry them.

Rifle selection is also based on availability the TIKKA and Sako are highly promoted and they seem to be quality firearms the others less so. (this is where everyones imput is valuable). all the other bells and whistles are nice to have but not needed

There is a Sako AV in 30-06 used that I am keeping an eye on but have not committed to still gathering info.

Please keep your comments coming

Trevor

P.S
One more point as this is a hunting rifle that will see 2-4 weeks out of a year usage there would be far fewer rounds down range against my other rifles. A simple rifle that wroks well and need little maintaince is desirable. If it shoots 1moa out of the box with facotry ammo it is good to go.

Last edited by Trevor60; 07/18/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Remington XCR-II in .30-06.
................Available at Walmart???? laugh

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Savage 99-yepper the QC is so much better @ Kimber... grin

Dober

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Not everybody "takes" to the Tikkas but this stupid little T3 Lite stainless .308 with a Loopy 2.5-8 VX-III I got on sale when the VX-3's were taking over has made shopping for another rifle really tough from a "practical" standpoint. Other than visual sex appeal it does just about anything I could ask for in a light rifle at a sane price for NA hunting.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Savage 99-yepper the QC is so much better @ Kimber... grin

Dober

I doubt that you have any manufacturing Quality Control experience.

The Kimber design is better in most ways. That's what I described. The design.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't go by the design, I go by field reports, what works, what gives issues etc is what I go by....

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that they've had their QC challenges.

Dober

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (7mm_Loco, 264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,060
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.