Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
forget the brake

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I don't go by the design, I go by field reports, what works, what gives issues etc is what I go by....

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that they've had their QC challenges.

Dober

Field reports! Some folks could not aim or load a gun well so they have problems.

I own five Kimbers. They all work well. I had the stock off of the 270 WSM the other day and I put a shim under the front ring. It shot better at the range after that.

I have been tuning guns since 1957.
The Kimber design pleases me.

To each his own.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
270 Win mod. 70. Use factory 140gr TTSX

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Be a patriot and buy an American made rifle. I'm sure that Tikka's are fine rifles but they don't keep American manufacturing jobs going. I would find a nice SS Model 7 or 700 in 300SAUM. Plenty of power for anything you want to hunt. But that's just me. Since you are recoil sensitive I would opt for a 7mm-08 SS model 7 or 700. There are many factory ammo options for the 7mm-08. If you can't get it done with these stock factory rifles you shouldn't be doing it. Of course if you are a rifle looney like most of us here, go ahead and start swapping stocks, special barrels, paint jobs, and on and on and on. LOL!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're going to stay American, then go Montucky wink

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
He sells rifles like 375 Ruger Alaskans and Africans, 338-378 Bee MK5s,

Perhaps you could order an accurate rifle through Bud's.
...........Nope! The three that I have already are accurate enough! Veeeeedy accurate!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I`d be looking at rifles approx 41"-42" long or less chambered in cartridges which would do all of that comfortably (ease when hiking, short and longer ranged shooting, in the bush, timbers, flat wide open terrain, so that you`ll be well covered in any situation.

The Tikkas which were mentioned (if you don`t mind their receiver looks and detachable magazines) are a fine choice.

The 20" barreled Ruger U/Lite chambered in the 30-06?

22" barreled Remy M7 or Browning chambered in the 300 WSM?
There are lots of choices you could go with.

But since you asked what we did? What I did and currently use more often than my other two, certainly isn`t conventional and would not be preferred by most if not all. What I wanted was a lighter, fast to target, short and handy piece, which at the same time is very capable of a 500 yard bull elk shot should that be needed in open country.

Because it isn`t a problem for me, I chose to let the cons of extra noise/blast and recoil fall by the wayside. My thinking is that when on a hunt, the actual shooting time is only a split second, but carrying and doing everything else with a rifle is many hours each day.

My little handy 35.5" OAL 300 WSM Frontier compact, is probably one of the more obnoxious, noisier rifles around. In the field, my Walker Game Ears do the job very well. At the same time however, I have 24" barreled `06 performance w/factory ammo (2800+ fps 180 gr) and can get even better velocity and accuracy results with my reloads. Like for example, a 175 gr VLD @ 2973 fps? Yep!

Regardless of terrain, it is one of the sweetest handy/carrying rifles to take on a hunt, and yet is powerful enough to take down any NA big game.

If you don`t mind the extra noise where it "wouldn`t" be a shooting hindrance (recoil and flinching) and prefer better manuverability, handiness, carrying ease etc, a similar themed powerful, short barreled rifle in another rifle brand might be your ticket. 300 WSM Ruger compacts were discontinued.

Anyway, that`s what I did. It is obvious that I and maybe a few others here and there, don`t always follow the conventional theme songs or the conventional ways of thinking......crazy crazy crazy

Hey Big Squeeze that is an interesting idea. I checked out the frontier and found the barrel to be 16.5 the rilfe looked good upto that point i have a 18.5 barrel restiction (gov rules) so that won't work for me but the Ruger Haweye MKII was the selected rifle for the Search and Rescue guys so they seem to think it is a stable platform.

I to wear game walker hearing protection so muzzle blast would not be an issue.

I do see most are telling me NO brake. either because of hearing, point of aim shifts or other concerns. the Mil/LE guys i know always have brakes even on the 308's so i am fine with or without.

I would prefer low maintenance and do not have a preference for plastic or wood stocks it simple needs to handle and shoot well.

this well be a function over fashion type of gun.

Trevor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go with a Kimber Montana in 308.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or if you prefer blue/wood, a Classic or classic select in 308, or a new 84L in 30-06

Those would all fit your requirements.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clearly accurate enough for you, isn't accurate enough for me.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never knew boodie shooting demanded so much accuracy?

Let's see that pic of the 14 yr old dink, shot thru the rump roast, laying dead in a golf cart, with a guy standing next to him holding a rifle with the sling on backwards.

You are a hoot Swampy!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Clearly accurate enough for you, isn't accurate enough for me.
...........How would you know how accurate mine are or aren`t? You don`t own, don`t reload for, haven`t seen, nor have you fired MY rifles.

That`s right Swamp. You always assume the worst about other rifles that you have never seen or touched.

But since you prefer one holed groupings from your rifles (GOOD LUCK) for hunting, then perhaps you can tell us all when the last time you attached a paper target on your quarry in the field and attempted to shoot some groups?

Because ya see Swamp, unless you are a match shooter shooting a match rifle, then all your ravings about Ruger in-accuracys from their rifles, which were manufactured in years past before Ruger made their own barrels,,WHICH btw WERE THE "ONLY" RUGERS YOU ADMITTED TO HAVE EVER OWNED,,is a ridiculous and absolutely worthless argument.

Since you have no intentions to buy a "new" Ruger for yourself, reload for it and then test fire it for accuracy, then your arguments and opinions, "AS USUAL" leave alot to be desired.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Trevor60
I`d be looking at rifles approx 41"-42" long or less chambered in cartridges which would do all of that comfortably (ease when hiking, short and longer ranged shooting, in the bush, timbers, flat wide open terrain, so that you`ll be well covered in any situation.

The Tikkas which were mentioned (if you don`t mind their receiver looks and detachable magazines) are a fine choice.

The 20" barreled Ruger U/Lite chambered in the 30-06?

22" barreled Remy M7 or Browning chambered in the 300 WSM?
There are lots of choices you could go with.

But since you asked what we did? What I did and currently use more often than my other two, certainly isn`t conventional and would not be preferred by most if not all. What I wanted was a lighter, fast to target, short and handy piece, which at the same time is very capable of a 500 yard bull elk shot should that be needed in open country.

Because it isn`t a problem for me, I chose to let the cons of extra noise/blast and recoil fall by the wayside. My thinking is that when on a hunt, the actual shooting time is only a split second, but carrying and doing everything else with a rifle is many hours each day.

My little handy 35.5" OAL 300 WSM Frontier compact, is probably one of the more obnoxious, noisier rifles around. In the field, my Walker Game Ears do the job very well. At the same time however, I have 24" barreled `06 performance w/factory ammo (2800+ fps 180 gr) and can get even better velocity and accuracy results with my reloads. Like for example, a 175 gr VLD @ 2973 fps? Yep!

Regardless of terrain, it is one of the sweetest handy/carrying rifles to take on a hunt, and yet is powerful enough to take down any NA big game.

If you don`t mind the extra noise where it "wouldn`t" be a shooting hindrance (recoil and flinching) and prefer better manuverability, handiness, carrying ease etc, a similar themed powerful, short barreled rifle in another rifle brand might be your ticket. 300 WSM Ruger compacts were discontinued.

Anyway, that`s what I did. It is obvious that I and maybe a few others here and there, don`t always follow the conventional theme songs or the conventional ways of thinking......crazy crazy crazy

Hey Big Squeeze that is an interesting idea. I checked out the frontier and found the barrel to be 16.5 the rilfe looked good upto that point i have a 18.5 barrel restiction (gov rules) so that won't work for me but the Ruger Haweye MKII was the selected rifle for the Search and Rescue guys so they seem to think it is a stable platform.

I to wear game walker hearing protection so muzzle blast would not be an issue.

I do see most are telling me NO brake. either because of hearing, point of aim shifts or other concerns. the Mil/LE guys i know always have brakes even on the 308's so i am fine with or without.

I would prefer low maintenance and do not have a preference for plastic or wood stocks it simple needs to handle and shoot well.

this well be a function over fashion type of gun.

Trevor
....18.5" minimum barrel length uh? I guess they figure that over in merry `ol England, that a rifle with a 18.5" tube can do the job, but one that has a barrel 2" shorter cannot?

Welcome to the world of over-regulation. Rampant here in the states too with just about everything thanks in large part to our,,,,,"Idiot" and Chief that occupies the White House.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Whoops! Thought you lived in England. Quebec instead? Oh well. Still the same over-regulating bullcrap!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My advice is to avoid a Montana like the plague. BTDT. My newest is a Win. Extreme Weather .270 WSM. The scope is a Leupold, 2-7x and for big game, I don't see the need for anything with more power. In addition, I've had my smith install a set of open sights on this rifle for backup should something happen to the scope. Understand, our hunting trips are of extended duration so if something should happen to the scope, I won't be S.O.L. I've just finished working up a handload for this rifle and it's a reliable 1 MOA firearm out to 300 yds. which is the length of our local range.
I think you should look at the Extreme Weather in your favorite flavor and go from there. Don't think you'll be disapointed. Good Luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There is an incredible amount of knowledge here,I have had a-bolts, model 70's and 700's all shot good but I stopped after I got my tikka t3 lite in 30-06 easy carry/handling, smooth bolt and shoots sub sub moa.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by byd
There is an incredible amount of knowledge here,I have had a-bolts, model 70's and 700's all shot good but I stopped after I got my tikka t3 lite in 30-06 easy carry/handling, smooth bolt and shoots sub sub moa.

Yep, same here including some Rugers - most of them worked real well. I stopped with Big Green myself though I like Winnies too. May try a Sako next.

Funny how the peanut gallery is though..........

MtnHtr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find yourself a clean used 700 KS in 30/06 and preferably in stainless steel and you're done. Reliable, portable and very accurate.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm quite pleased with my Montana. Pretty much an ideal mountain rifle by my way of thinking. Just pick a suitable cartridge you like. This one happens to be a 338 Fed. Even have a choice of bullets pictured (180 BT, 185 TTSX, 210 Scirocco II, and 210 Partition).

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Trevor60

This will be my North American Big game rifle.

I am initially looking at Tikka

Thanks
Trevor

You hit the nail on the head. ALWAYS go with your gut instinct.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (257man, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,691
Posts18,534,514
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.