Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Originally Posted by Calhoun
The hang tag has 2 E-G stamps on it, and the E-G stamp on the left looks like it also has a T stamped on it.

Rory the Stamp on left has a T and Over Stamped with an R.

Thanks for that correction.

Savage may not have advertised during the war years, but it's sure that they continued to produce and sell some 99's based off of letters we've seen and the serial number gaps. And the folks working at Savage during the war years weren't having a hard time, they were being worked very hard and making quite good money producing 50 cals for aircraft as well as Thompson submachineguns - and probably other weapons (produced a bunch of Enfields, didn't they?). From documents and articles I've found they tripled or more their staff during WWII. I think the 99 production was probably done as extra pay for overtime work after the government contracts were met. Thus Savage couldn't guarantee any given output of 99's because the gov't contracts always came first, but I think they managed to produce several thousand a year.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Weather is a TR,RT,R-eg
I can see the receiver's lettering, but i can not see the rest of rifle lettering.
For as it was told Lunch Box Special's Or what ever the Case, Savage supposedly did not mak any during the War Year's and So that story that i heard that Guy's took them Home to put together and sell to supplement there income- would never letter.
We have to remember that the Late 30's and during the war years were pretty tuff times for a lot of folk out there.
So if there were parts lying around,as i am sure they had a lot of stuff lying around the factory,Receiver's,Barrel's,Wood etc, they could of left,as long as it probably did not have to do with there military contracts. After-all We Know of Maybe a 1/2-12 Dozen or So on this forum that exist, and how many more we don't know about.

It would Seem if Savage was going to do a Change over or Continuation of a Model with some changes there would of been a lot out there, which does not seem to be the case, except as Rory Said the continuation of the E.G. and R as we Know it
J.M.O.

Steve

so if they are lunch box specials how did yours get a factory hang tag?

I now own an RT/TR whatever... and there are several here... and I can remember seeing a few sell over the years. Rare, maybe, but how is it that they are so consistent to forearm shape of a T and checkering of the EG? If guys were finishing these at home why would they not have just finished them as Ts, or Rs, or EGs?

May forever be a mystery?

Drew
I can not really answer that, That's the Way i got here, and That's the way 300Jimmy got it. The Mystery on it it has 2 1/2 different stampings on it.

The other Mystery With all the TR-Rt's EG-R-T is that they all had slightly different Checkering on the F.A. or a T or a different Stamp on the Front of the receiver. Again These Rifle's were never supposedly Catalog!

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yeah, I was wondering if the front of the receivers were marked with anything. The other question would be... what is the barrel length on one in 300... if its 24" then it was an R or EG barrel but if it was 22" then it was obviously a T barrel...

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
few 300's I have seen were 24" as I recall, which makes them an R with a T forearm in my book.

Edit: Or possibly an EG with a T forearm

Last edited by 99guy; 07/19/11.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same goes for Steve's 30-30, if it were a T, would be a 20" barrel. So......it's really an EG with a T forearm

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regardless of what they are............too bad they didn't actually put them into full scale production.

They are pretty cool guns and I bet they would have sold very well

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99
yeah, I was wondering if the front of the receivers were marked with anything. The other question would be... what is the barrel length on one in 300... if its 24" then it was an R or EG barrel but if it was 22" then it was obviously a T barrel...

Drew
At one time you were putting a chart together on 3 point checkering and 2 point Checkering on the R's Prewar.

Question,?
Did you ever get a coralation Between the R and RS Prewar as what had what? as Far as 2point or 3 Point Checkering?
In other words how many RS had Both, if any or How Many R's had both !
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My R/T 30-30 has a 22" barrel.

Cool guns indeed. Mine would be one of the very last I would ever part with.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Here is one WAG the rifles were put together for a major catalog dealer very similar to the speigal rifles many thought were salesman samples for years. How do the speigal rifles letter?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve, I think the 3 point checkering was on both the R's and RS's up to a certain serial number range, where they switched to 2 point checkering. Not sure there's a hard and fast cutover from 3 to 2.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctw
Here is one WAG the rifles were put together for a major catalog dealer very similar to the speigal rifles many thought were salesman samples for years. How do the speigal rifles letter?

The Speigel rifles letter as being shipped to Speigel... sort of the give away.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Steve, I think the 3 point checkering was on both the R's and RS's up to a certain serial number range, where they switched to 2 point checkering. Not sure there's a hard and fast cutover from 3 to 2.

Steve,

This is correct except I have not seen any overlap yet. Last three point checkered gun that I have in my records is 355,6XX and the first two point checkered rifle is 356,0xx, so somewhere in that 400 or so rifles is where the switch over would be...except as Rory alludes too... I would suspect some crossover just have not seen it. If you would send me the info you have on your pre-war Rs and RSs, it would greatly help my data.

Thanks

Andrew
C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
So why were they thought of as salesman samples for so long?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
???? No one ever lettered one??

Andrew
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had to have one that we prior to 371,200 to get an accurate letter. Many of them are later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good point Rory!

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you ask JC he will say it is a R because Savage only produced EG's and R's at that time. There is no information on the subject in the logs so we will have to go on what we can see.

War time production was around 11,000 99's in 1941, 1942 and 1945. That is a pretty steady run. Production dropped way down to 2000-3000 range in 1943 and 1944. I think they might have stopped production early 1943 and started again late 1944 vs. just slowing production.

The rifles I have info on with early R forearms are all in the 1942 range. The R/T rifles are in the 1944-1945 range.

Savage only printed one catalog during the war years but I have price sheets from 1942, 1945 and 1946 all showing that they were selling EG's and R/RS'. I couldn't find a 1943 or 1944 price sheet to verify but I would guess the R was in there, also.

I think the R/T was either created using blank T forearms that were on hand or it was the original intended relacement design for the early R. I've seen no R's from 1946-1948 with a couple late 1949 then full production in 1950.

The R/T, or what ever you want to call it, was produced. There are too many to be lunch box rifles. I suggest we just accept them for what they are. This is what's great about the Forum. Without the combined input from the group they would still be just odd ball rifles that eveyone was afraid to own because they were not known to be "factory".

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rick, I was thinking of the "using blank T forearms that were on hand" line of thought also, but then started wondering why they had so many T forearms and not any R, G, H, etc. I don't think parts guns works, or we'd see more variation.

And good thought on the price lists, was looking last night and saw the 45/46 price lists and it didn't strike me about the R's. remember that the 45 price list would have come out somewhere between November, 1944 and January, 1945. Gotta have the prices before the year starts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick99

The R/T, or what ever you want to call it, was produced. There are too many to be lunch box rifles. I suggest we just accept them for what they are. This is what's great about the Forum. Without the combined input from the group they would still be just odd ball rifles that eveyone was afraid to own because they were not known to be "factory".

+ 1 on That Rick.

I.M.O.-We still don't exactly W.T.F. they are? grinor really know why they exist grin ,but they do grin and they come around from time to time, But they are sure Fun to Have and history to speculate and boot on grin and great information here on the in between years as to why or what of happened.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rory, I would agree that having that many T forearm blanks left over from 1939 doesn't seem like the correct answer.

It is also interesting that we see 22" 30-30/.303 and 22" and 24" .300's on the R/T but mostly 24" .300's on the EG's.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did the later Spiegel guns also have the 22" 30-30/303 Savage barrels?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.