Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5441424 07/21/11
S
Skip23 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
On my trip to Juneau a friend who lives there took me halibut fishing. we went into a sheltered bay to eat lunch.
While there I noticed that the bottom was covered with fish. I began fishing for them with a light rod. A small piece of salmon resulted in a bite every cast. The fish I was catching were flounders I think, some type of flat fish. They seemed a decent size fish, my friend thought I was wasting my time catching them. He at least didn't hold them in a very high regard. He didn't recommend that I keep any, but he did keep the crab I snagged. I assume they are good to eat. The only fish you hear people talking much about are salmon and halibut. Are there species that are used a lot but not talked about?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We throw them all back...

I cooked one up once (arrow tooth flounder I think) and it was ok flavor-wise, just kind of a mushy consistency.

Bottom line though, is that we're pretty spoiled on fish up here.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Those flounders aren't really flounders. Soles, and not the good kind. Pure junk. Almost every client on my charter boat thinks they are flounders tho.

Arrow tooth flounders look like halibut and get up to 10lbs, and have the really nasty looking teeth. Many people have been fooled into eating the arrow tooth. They only make that mistake once.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sorry, wrong post

Last edited by iambrb; 07/21/11.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are alot of different types of flounders/sole in Alaska, so w/o a pic, hard to say what you were catching. Alaskans are spoiled with such a huge variety of large excellent eating fish, so alot of what are referred to as trash fish may be excellent eating.

I ended catching some sole over the 4th of July weekend, it was more of a water based camping shrimping trip, but I decided to do some jigging while we were anchored to see what was down there. I ended up catching several small flounder. Whenever I see a fish I've caught is bleeding from the gills, I keep it if it's a legal fish. So, I end up with a ping pong paddle sized flat fish. Not much meat after cleaning it, but it was decent tasting with good texture.

So just because most people don't talk about a paticular type of fish, doesn't mean they aren't good to eat.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flounders can be tasty. I've eaten a couple starry flounder and they were pretty good.

As a side note, in Alaska it's illegal to catch crab with a rod and reel. Just FYI.

Deal with it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Interesting. We get some starry flounder dipping the K. I've not tried it because; 1) they are pretty small, and 2) I've been told they are not very good.

Maybe I'll try one or two.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Apparently they can get up to about 28". I caught one that was pushing 24" this spring.

Deal with it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The stary flounder have one of the toughest skins I've ever cut, will take the edge right off of your fillet knife. The flesh does turn mushy quickly, so fillet immediately and ice it. Decent tasting, but not really worth the effort.

The flounder I caught in PWS seemed to be better tasting, but they were immediately filleted and cooked vs. the starty flounder that were on ice for quite awhile before we got home and dealt with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only starries I've eaten have been filleted and in the pan in short order. More of a food of opportunity/curiosity while camping.

Yellow sole cook up nicely as well, but they're pretty small.

Deal with it.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been told that the starry flounders we catch on the Kenai are all worm ridden..... through them all back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never seen worms in starry flounders, but I've only kept a few.

The wormiest fish I've seen have been cod and pollock in K-bay. Yet I was suprised when we caught six cod in Resserection Bay last weekend that they had very few worms in them, and they were very large, biggest tipped the scale at 9#'s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are worth keeping, however, for fish prints. Great school project.

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
... they had very few worms in them, and they were very large, biggest tipped the scale at 9#'s.

Those are big worms!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We-do-an-annual-flounder-feed-when-the-big-starrys-come-in-during-subsistence-king-time.-Most-times-the-flatfish-are-too-small,-but-they-seem-to-be-the-bigger-spawners,-perhaps,-when-the-kings-are-in.They,re-a-decent-change-from-pink-fleshed-fish.....closest-thing-we-get-to-halibut-locally.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
... they had very few worms in them, and they were very large, biggest tipped the scale at 9#'s.

Those are big worms!

Steak 'em!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
http://www.alaskaseafood.org/health/facts/pages/fish-sole.html

My wife is a North Carolina girl and "flounder" is the end all be all fish where she grew up. I am not going to mention that these might be "sole" since that is the only reason I occasionally trick her into going fishing with me. Taste about like any other white fish to me.

The trick seems to be freezing them to below 0 degrees F which is supposed to neutralize the enzymes that cause them to cook into fish flavored mash potatoes. This seems to firm the flesh up enough to fry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We bay fished in Mystic, CN and ate flounder on the same day that it were caught. We thought that it tasted great, but in KS we kind of like for fish to taste like fish. We know what chicken tastes like.

Arbalester, I never considered a colder freezing temp for fish to keep it firm. Shore caught Lake Trout in Canada is just as good as Walleye, but Lake Trout will not carry back to my home without turning mushy. Food for thought. Thanks.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by croldfort
We bay fished in Mystic, CN and ate flounder on the same day that it were caught. We thought that it tasted great, but in KS we kind of like for fish to taste like fish. We know what chicken tastes like.

Arbalester, I never considered a colder freezing temp for fish to keep it firm. Shore caught Lake Trout in Canada is just as good as Walleye, but Lake Trout will not carry back to my home without turning mushy. Food for thought. Thanks.

I did not even think about trying this deep freeze trick on other "soft" fish. Please let me know how it works.

I don't mind fish flavored fish either. We can get so spoiled here by halibut and salmon that I have seen people waste fish (dolly varden and steel head) that a Texan would be tempted to send to taxidermist because they "taste fishy."

My fishing luck is so bad that I don't throw much of anything away.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those things aren't bad tasting. Problem is they're all head. Once you get them filleted they're isn't much there.

Deal with it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 204guy, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,462
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.