Hop To
#5443946 07/21/11
J
Jester Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

Some of the avid backpackers on here have recommended a particular stake but I can't remember which one. REI or MSR I think. They would be used on an SL 5. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the MSR Groundhog stakes for mine. To guy out all the guyout points including the points a 1/3 the way up the tent its something like 12-15 or so stakes (with MSR GH stakes that 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound in stakes) which makes that tipi pretty well anchored to the terra firma which isn't a bad thing when the wind kicks up.

Lots of good stakes out there just the ones I have been using for the past 3 years or so and happen to like.

J
Jester Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

Thanks. That sounds like what I had read. I'll give them a try.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I also like the MSR Ground Hogs but recently have replaced most of them with these:
http://www.target.com/Kelty-Tent-J-Stakes/dp/B001M0NVHG

North Face has the same stake but they aren't anodised which makes them harder to find if dropped in the grass. These are a little lighter than the MSR's but hold very well.

I also carry a couple of the Vargo Ti-Nail pegs as well:

http://www.rei.com/product/709914/vargo-outdoor-titanium-nail-pegs-6-pack

The Easton round pegs hold well but the heads are bonded poorly and are prone to popping off when pulling or worse yet if the wind flaps the tent. These would probably be my favorite if not for the head issue.

Ed T

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I just made some using old carbon arrow shafts.I cut them about 9" long than epoxyed the heads plus about 1" from alum. gutter nails than alum. inserts with 75 gr. field points in the other end.I've only tried them around the house so far but they look like they will hold up ok
Tim

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
CF pegs have always interested me, but around here it's so rocky that I often have to use a ti nail peg or use the ti nail to start a pilot hole.

Ed T

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I like in this order

CF stakes - I had no problem pitching a tipi above timberline with these. Ours have a 50gr point and tinner rivet head.

Cut on site from branches

MSR groundhog

If it were not for the heads on the eastons I would rank them as my fav aluminum stake.

The way I look at it is, all stakes break. I've never had one I didn't break or bend.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too am with the guys that prefer the MSR Groundhog stake. In fact, I just replaced all of the stakes for my new Exped, Vela-1 with them. Was able to get 'em at the local Sportsman's so didn't have to send off. They're togh, IMHO.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the MSR Groundhogs, but have started using the 9" Coghlan knock offs. About the same as MSR, just 3" longer.

For the SL4/5, I use:

- 9" Coghlan ones on the 4 corners
- Cheap aluminum wire pegs to "pin" the sides by going through the loop that the ladderlock is on instead of the stake loop
- 6" MSRs elsewhere

Last edited by evanhill; 07/22/11.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I've used some of the Coghlan 9" knoc offs as well and so far they have held up fine.

I don't usually need too long of a peg, which is why I have switched to the Kelty's.

Ed T

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep I use the Coghlan knock offs for my SL-8 already and going to swap the lead weight stakes on my Cabelas Guide Model tent with them as well. Certainly cheaper indeed but for my other tents I just use the MSR groundhogs. Well with the exception of the inner nest of my Shangri-las, those just use the 1/2 oz golite stakes that came with them as they aren't what anchors the tent down but just hold the nest spread out so the anchoring isn't as crucial even in a gale wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 21, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 16,721 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,834
Posts18,537,140
Members74,047
Most Online17,595

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.