Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa: I have seen enough of your groups on here fired with pre 64 barrels to be able to say that they mirror the results I have seen for years from those barrels.

Most of my custom barrels in 270 have been Kriegers and nicely accurate....but I am forced to admit that in many cases, I can't tell the difference between those and many pre 64's,in calibers from 220 Swift clear up through 375 H&H....the reason I no longer tear up pre 64's for custom rifles....I use the factory barrels and just slap 'em in a synthetic stock,until the factory barrels go;then replace with a Krieger (or a new Brux like I just ordered).

I am very impressed with the SC M70's,and if looking for a rifle like raybass wants today, would not hesitate to do the same things with a new FN M70 in 270 FW.....I would get a SS one though just for variety...swap out the heavy BM for something lighter,put it in a Compact Edge or Brown Pound'r, add Talley LW's,and rock on... wink

That's great advice Bob. It's funny because everytime I shoot my SC fwt it just feels more like the pre 64 model 70 than my NH's. I know you've had some nice NH rifles but you've said it takes a lot of work from a good smith to make them feel and shoot like the old pre 64's and I believe every word of that. The new SC guns are great IF you can get used to those danged triggers blush. Not that they're bad either, just not what I'm used to and I guess that's my only gripe about them. One of these days I'll get the lighter spring from ernie and my griping will probably be over grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Might save some money then, surely if I got a Weatherby U/L to shoot then a pre-64 shouldn't be all that hard, right? Sometime after the first of the year is when I plan to start looking for a rifle, maybe my plan just got simplified.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa in the 5 of them I have shot,the triggers all felt great....maybe I am not too fussy, but in those rifles they felt just fine,and shot great.I never felt a nee to touch any of those 5 triggers.

I have no squawk with them;just don't know how they hold up is all....plus using the pre 64 triggers for so many years I trust them.

But I think a SC M70 FW in 270,in a light synthetic,light mounts and BM,will be as good and functional as anything a guy could build...practically speaking.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
crazy Ya'll really have me thinking about going with a SC FN Featherweight 270 now. I have time to think about it, maybe do some handling between now and then also.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
GSSP's rifle is the inspiration.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Raybass, I would just order up a edge stock from MCM or D'Arcy, I have both and like them very much. I have 3 pre 64's that sit in synthetic stocks w/fwt barrels, 2 factory, one with a pac-nor fwt barrel. So if you order the stock for the factory fwt barrel, then find a .270 fwt and if it shoots leave it as is, otherwise order up a fwt barrel from whomever and you're set. I've been very happy with how my fwts shoot and you should be able to hit your target weight....it makes up a great package for sure.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
crazy Ya'll really have me thinking about going with a SC FN Featherweight 270 now. I have time to think about it, maybe do some handling between now and then also.
Here's a list of decent potential donors: (Noted these due to prices around $700)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=241840582
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=241857565
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=241958599
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=242606776
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=242747090

These two are 'actions only' and are fully complete.. An excellent start for a rifle that'll have a new stock)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=242825196
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=242599583

PM coming..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Redneck will square you away... wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Bob just posted a Montana 84L that was on GB. Apparently there is at least one around!

If you don't have a "donor" already it might be a good option for you. An 84L in 270 has a lot going for it.

I probably would of gone that way had I not already had a M70 that needed a stock.

Just a thunk.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Then again........old M70s are just cool grin

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MM: Indeed they are.... wink

84L is a good option as well.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I built a 270 from a classic model 70 action - I used a #1 Krieger at 24 inches, Echols Legend with Edge, Williams bottom metal (added a few ounces) - the final weight was 7 lbs 1 ounce without scope.

I like the gun alot, but if I had to do it again I would :

1. Cut the barrel to 23" and make it a #2. The weight would have been 3 or so ounces more - I think it would have worked for me.

2. Used the McMillan Edge/Compact pattern and kept the #1 at 23 inches. Several guys ( I think BobinNH and Utah708) have said they prefer the compact for below below 7mm RM and Legend above that (or someother like cutoff). I now see the wisdom in that advice. I have a 9.3x62 in a pre64 with a #3 pacnor that redneck put together and had it put into a Legend - like GSSP and I love it.

Good luck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The Legend is the finest synthetic stock I have ever used in a magnum caliber of 7mm on up.It really does attenuate perceived recoil and I have shot them in 7 mag, 300 Weatherby and 375.Rifles almost aim themselves.....

For a standard cartridge I like something a bit trimmer....rumor mill has it that this is in the works and I want one.... smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RayBass,
A few years ago, a Bro of mine and BobinNH's peeled a original 270 Featherweight away from me that quite frankly I was a little loathe to let go. Though it looked like it had been drug down a couple of miles of barbed wire fence, I could tell that it had been someones trusted rifle and that it had seen a lot of hunting camps from the honest carrying wear on it. When my bro finally got it away from me several years later he called me not long after he received it and said he was going to rebarrel it, I asked him "why?", "have you shot it yet?", he said "no" I said to him, "before you do that why don't you shoot it first,it shoots extremely well for me" so he did. Today it's sitting in a Banser pounder stock, still missing a fair amount of blueing and wearing the original barrel. Its lighter and trimmer and in my opinion balances better than it originally did, but its still frighteningly accurate. BobinNH has commented about it stellar subMOA abilities out to 300 and 400 yds here on the Fire.
IMHO, BSA and BobinNH are correct about not parting out a original Featherweight 270, If my heart was set on using a pre-64 action for a .270 build, I'd consider shopping for a well used standard weight 06' rifle that had seen many campfires. Its the same action and magazine follower. I see them ocassionaly in my neck of the woods, usually with a pad on the original stock in the $500-$650 range.I know where theres one now in a local shop that I think is going for around $625. Who knows, you might find one with a roached out barrel that you might get a great deal on. Which way you decide to go, either a new FN or a pre-64 build I hope it turns out well for you.
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks like a pretty productive thread. A lot of good points being made here.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
here's the best point yet.

hurry before i scrape up the cash!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5443179/2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, thats a good one!!!!! grin

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I saw that one too man oh man. It shouldn't last long.....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
RayBass,
A few years ago, a Bro of mine and BobinNH's peeled a original 270 Featherweight away from me that quite frankly I was a little loathe to let go. Though it looked like it had been drug down a couple of miles of barbed wire fence, I could tell that it had been someones trusted rifle and that it had seen a lot of hunting camps from the honest carrying wear on it. When my bro finally got it away from me several years later he called me not long after he received it and said he was going to rebarrel it, I asked him "why?", "have you shot it yet?", he said "no" I said to him, "before you do that why don't you shoot it first,it shoots extremely well for me" so he did. Today it's sitting in a Banser pounder stock, still missing a fair amount of blueing and wearing the original barrel. Its lighter and trimmer and in my opinion balances better than it originally did, but its still frighteningly accurate. BobinNH has commented about it stellar subMOA abilities out to 300 and 400 yds here on the Fire.
IMHO, BSA and BobinNH are correct about not parting out a original Featherweight 270, If my heart was set on using a pre-64 action for a .270 build, I'd consider shopping for a well used standard weight 06' rifle that had seen many campfires. Its the same action and magazine follower. I see them ocassionaly in my neck of the woods, usually with a pad on the original stock in the $500-$650 range.I know where theres one now in a local shop that I think is going for around $625. Who knows, you might find one with a roached out barrel that you might get a great deal on. Which way you decide to go, either a new FN or a pre-64 build I hope it turns out well for you.
BD

The rifle is here because Blackdog is a true peach of a human being and for no other reason...... grin

Bro and I shot that rifle first time with the iron's at 100 yards and giggled when it cut about an 1 1/4" for both of us.....and my eyeballs ain't twenty anymore.....I can attest to the accruracy after watching Bro dump 7-8 shots into about 4" at 400 yards with a Leup 2-7 and dots....and watched him kill a big mule deer at 385 yards in Wyoming last fall....a couple of weeks ago it did well with 62 gr 7828 and 130 Partitions.

It looks knarled up but I notice a lot of fancy customs stay at home,and this one goes hunting when it's time to kill.......

I think so much of original pre 64 M70 tubes that I have a really mint 270FW pre64 barrel here "just in case"....people will rebarrel them, thinking they will get something better than the original tubes,but I sorta doubt it. whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm truly humbled by the kind words my friend. God bless you.
BD

- Winston Churchill-

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,984
Posts18,480,940
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.