Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Eventually, I have to weigh in only because it's against my nature to sit on the sidelines for very long.

"Softer" metal is not necessarily a bad thing on certain guns. With semi-autos, the hardness of the two mating surfaces must differ for consistent operation. But that's beside the point.

I once owned a 1903 Winchester 1886. The metal of that rifle was so soft, I couldn't imagine it taking the stress of high end .45-70 loads, yet, it was determined around the time I was being born in the 50s, that these guns would not wear out from stress due to the genius of their design.

My 1909 Argentine Mauser in .35 Whelen is a keeper. Yet, some custom gunsmiths believe their metal is too soft for high end loadings. Still, it's considered one of the most desirable actions from which to build medium calibers in custom Mausers. The .45acp is not a high end cartridge and soft is, as soft does.

There was a time when the Colt's Gold Cup was determined by "experts" not to have the longevity of other models because it had a "lite" slide. Of course, there was a time when this was gospel, long after that had been corrected...yet "experts" continued to write and re-write this every chance they had to sell print.

There are frauds here. Men of the school that "he who speaks the loudest, has to be right." Mostly, they are hen-pecked minor functionaries who have nowhere else to go to feel important. Often, they are people unsatisfied with their station in life have to find a platform from which to browbeat others. The internet is a place where pencil-necked geeks can assume "Captain America" proportions.

I've got this old Gold Cup - slightly modified. It took me through half a dozen years of competition and uncounted rounds fired. No peening. Heck, the frame rails still have some original bluing on them! Yet there are still experts who decry them for custom work because of the "lite" slide.

One old gentleman who waxed quite a few butts in Texas, used a bone stock 1911A1 with a cracked frame well after it should have been retired.

Some people talk a good game. Some people speak from experience. On the internet it's tough to tell. But one thing for sure, I am a lot more likely to believe something written by someone who posts their name and photo, than someone who does not. If you stand behind your name, you have a lot to lose if you lie.

Dan

Funny you mention the Gold Cup Slide. That slide with lightened for a reason and that was so the gun would function reliably with light target loads. That Slide and its 12lb recoil spring have in the past made me a lot of money. Too many people have given the GC a steady diet of hardball ammo while never upgrading the spring. The long term result is normally a cracked slide. They come to me and I replace the slide (at a real high cost because there are no cheap GC slides). That said I know of a cracked GC slide that was used for over 10 years without a hitch. The other common issue is the forward retaining pin of the rear sight will shear off and sometime the rear sight will come out. This is from the battering of hardball while still using the lightweight recoil spring. So I tell my customers that it is okay to shoot hardball or even hot loads in a GC just put in a heavyier recoil spring. As for the Gunsmiths that used to not work on those slides because of the lightening cuts inside....they in my opinion are nuts....look at the lightweight slides used in today's comp guns. Have a great day and shoot safe.

James Dunn

[email protected]
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Eliason rear sight went away in the first year I had the gun. Replaced by a milled in rear sight, along with the front sight and of course a heavier recoil spring, beavertail grip safety, mated bushing and a ported mag well. That's the sum total of the changes made to the GC. She's been a marvelous pistol ever since.

Still, Colt was cutting corners in the late 70s when she was bought.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a Gold Cup that's about 20 years old. I started using UMC hardball and about one round out of fifty would stove pipe. I sent the Gold Cup to Wilson and end of stove pipe. I know they put in a heavier spring, I'm thinking maybe 18 pound maybe heavier. A lot of other stuff has been done as well. Shoots hardball and hollow points all day long with out a hitch. I had the Gold Cup accuracized and up graded after about a hundred rounds of use. I don't see any cracks but who knows they could be there. I just shoot the sucker day in and day out.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the final word.

I�ve had these run ins with a few people who just push harder and louder. I call them on their BS and they just raise a racket. They make all sorts of outlandish accusations toward me, and (for those who remember) I have ALWAYS delivered. I ALWAYS back up what I say. On two distinct occasions, I have provided very specific events and even provided names and numbers to allow ANYONE to just pick p the phone and see if I�m FOS. I�ve supplied the names of schools I�ve gone to, past employers, and people who could verify my claims. And like Dan said, I post under my real name, and there�s even a photo of me. All this is to say, I DON�T BS.

Now I will say that on more than one occasion I have been wrong. I kinda like it when I�m wrong and someone calls me on it. It�s good to be knocked down to size, and it�s nice to learn something new (I learn something on this forum nearly every day).

In clearing up things for this topic/incident. Much of what I wrote was my OPINION based on my experience (conclusions/ reasons why gunsmiths didn�t want to work with RIA�s). Then there was OPINION based on my direct knowledge working with RIA products. Finally, I called in a favor from a dear friend who was directly involved in testing the Rock Island product.

This took time out of my day. I�m disappointed that Bricktop hasn�t manned up (as I do EVERY time I�m proven wrong, or have been caught being an ass), and apologized to those he belittled. Unfortunately, I�m not surprised; his behavior is normally rather deplorable.

For those eating popcorn and watching the show. I hope I wasn�t too brash or arrogant (I get that way from time to time); but most importantly. This forum is to share knowledge and for people to learn from each other. I hope everyone appreciates the effort; and a HUGE thank you to James Dunn for dropping by and talking about what he did with/for The Dealer�s Warehouse (original importer of the RIA guns).

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
If the fire lost you, we would be the poorer for it. Not so with Bricktop.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You da man. smile

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kevin Gibson and James Dunn,
I really appreciate your time and effort to shed the light of practical knowledge on this subject. I believe your words carry much more weight than those of the internet ninja, Pricktop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 222Rem
Only one post from him today---------his Google Fu must be weak.
I'm sorry, but are there any openings where you work? Because I'd sure as hell love to work somewhere that would be as gracious as your employer is to pay your sorry ass to sit around and surf the internet all day.

Looks like your "common sense fu" is weakest of all.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Bricktop decided to run his mouth about something he evidently knew nothing about. If he had any evidence that what he was saying was right, he'd have posted it. Personally, I think a person could argue til the cows come home about why certain "upscale" pistolsmiths won't warrant work on RI's, but if they are of soft steel, there should be some evidence of it. Since Bricktop brought it up and won't let it go, he should be the one to bring the evidence, or be outed as a common Anusjester.
I haven't seen anything yet that would counter anything I've posted or stated other than a vigorous attempt to "shout" me down along with a lot of petty insults. Like your posts.

Now that Wal-Fart is starting to sell guns again, I'd predict RIA crap to be one of their mainlines if they choose to sell handguns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I certainly have more to offer, like I said; I�ve known the original importer of Rock Island Armory guns for years�I have much more to offer.
Well, I am ABSOLUTELY convinced. If you've "known the original importer of Rock Island Armory guns for years," how can ANYONE -- ANYONE AT ALL -- possibly argue with that? You're right, that's utterly convincing.

What a load of BULLSHIT.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why won�t big name gunsmith�s work on RIA�s?

First, many will, but some wont.
Name one that will, stud.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesDunn
I currently still sell 1911 parts at local gunshows and on EBAY to help support my gun and ammo habit.
That's quite the mark of credibility. I've seen people selling beanie babies and steak knives at gun shows, too. I saw where some woman was selling "vagina paintings" on eBay a while back. You appear to be in good company.

I worked for the first importer of these guns. I was the guy who did all the inspection, testing and spec checking on these guns. When speaking of this gun I feel I can speak with some authority here. The comments that Bricktop has stated are in my opinion completely without fact.
Please post on your "knowledge" base of metallurgical properties of these. I'm also interested in how well they stood up to welding of lugs.

After the shooting we took the gun apart and inspected. The recoil spring guide was toast. It took one hell of a beating but was still functional. The slide and frame showed no penning or cracks. The barrel lugs were still sharp and not dinged up, same with the locking grooves in the slide.
Sure it did. You just posted it on the internet, therefore it MUST be true. No one should EVER question things posted on an internet message board.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I�ve had these run ins with a few people who just push harder and louder. I call them on their BS and they just raise a racket.
Like you, for instance.

I ALWAYS back up what I say.
Really? When is that going to happen in this thread? All I've seen thus far is a lot of invective from you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
fookin soft azz RIA's anyway!

it's been another hoot fellas

anybody seen the Battop?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Some interesting opinions and perspective on RIAs on this thread. To the guys who posted about their personal experiences with Rock Islands, thank you for that. Always good to see someone provide credible information on a topic.

Bricktop - can you offer any support for your opinion that that Rock Islands suck because (1) they are soft and (2) well known 1911 custom makers won't work on them. For example, showing us a detailed comparison of the Rock Island with other manufacturers, say, like the Springfields. Or, verifiable statements from some well known and respected custom makers that they refuse to do custom work on the Rock Islands.

As you love to tell other posters, if you said it on the internet, it must be true. We all look forward to you coming forward with some credible data or sources to back up your assertions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Techsan
Some interesting opinions and perspective on RIAs on this thread. To the guys who posted about their personal experiences with Rock Islands, thank you for that. Always good to see someone provide credible information on a topic.
Credible? In what way? Because someone took the time to post an unverifiable statement? Wow. color me f*cking convinced.

Bricktop - can you offer any support for your opinion that that Rock Islands suck because (1) they are soft and (2) well known 1911 custom makers won't work on them. For example, showing us a detailed comparison of the Rock Island with other manufacturers, say, like the Springfields. Or, verifiable statements from some well known and respected custom makers that they refuse to do custom work on the Rock Islands.
Get off your ass and call Clark Custom when they open tomorrow: (318) 949-9884. Can you offer anything to support otherwise? No? Too bad.

As you love to tell other posters, if you said it on the internet, it must be true. We all look forward to you coming forward with some credible data or sources to back up your assertions.
As I also look forward to you and your Wal-Fart ilk "coming forward with some credible data or sources to back up your assertions." Thus far it's only been "IF WE CAN POST MORE OFTEN AND MORE VIGOROUSLY, THEN EVERYTHING WE POST IS TRUE AND WE'RE RIGHT." What a load of BULLSHIT.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wonder, does Chip McCormick work on RIA guns?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bricktop, we've gone through this exercise before. I'm asking you to present some credible evidence in support of your assertions that Rock Islands suck. Since you say they suck, surely you have some concrete evidence in support of that opinion.

I have not proferred any opinions regarding Rock Islands because I don't have any experience with them, nor have I reviewed any credible data or testing comparing Rock Islands to other 1911 manufacturers, like, for example, Springfields. For this reason, I won't be making any unsubstantiated claims about their quality or reliability on the internet.

You, on the other hand, have made some pretty strong statements that Rock Islands suck. Back it up with credible data, testing, or some other verifiable evidence. I'm sure you've got plenty of support for your opinions regarding Rock Islands, otherwise you would have never made these statements, right?

Looking forward to seeing your evidence, may help me make the choice between a Rock Island and a Springfield next time I buy a 1911.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I wonder, does Chip McCormick work on RIA guns?
If you're to believe the SUCKASSES who've beat the drums in defense of RIA bullshit, there's no 1911 ANYWHERE that Chip McCormick would rather work on than a RIA. Because if it doesn't say RIA, then you've run out of 1911s. Yep, "Made in the Philippines" isn't just what you want in your womens, it's what you NEED on everything. San Miguel beer, LBFMs, jeepneys, and [bleep] 1911s; it just don't get no better than that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop, we've gone through this exercise before. I'm asking you to present some credible evidence in support of your assertions that Rock Islands suck. Since you say they suck, surely you have some concrete evidence in support of that opinion.

I have not proferred any opinions regarding Rock Islands because I don't have any experience with them, nor have I reviewed any credible data or testing comparing Rock Islands to other 1911 manufacturers, like, for example, Springfields. For this reason, I won't be making any unsubstantiated claims about their quality or reliability on the internet.

You, on the other hand, have made some pretty strong statements that Rock Islands suck. Back it up with credible data, testing, or some other verifiable evidence. I'm sure you've got plenty of support for your opinions regarding Rock Islands, otherwise you would have never made these statements, right?
Got any credible evidence that disproves any of my claims? No? Damn, ain't that a bitch?

Looking forward to seeing your evidence, may help me make the choice between a Rock Island and a Springfield next time I buy a 1911.
If you actually had any money, this would be a discussion worth having. You'd be better off spending your jack wisely. Like on new cinder blocks for your trailer.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,681
Posts18,493,892
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.