Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
feriil Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've decided I want to become a beginner bowhunter; I hunt deer with firearms and want to extend my season, plus one of my favorite things to do is stalk a deer.

Other than seeing bows shot on TV and photos of them I have no experience with bows. I have decided I want to get a compound bow and was wondering if people here could give me some advice as to quality used gear I can look for within my price range and specs. (from other internet research and measurements) I know I need a:

29-31" Draw Length
55-65lbs Draw Weight for hunting, I'm a 6'3" strong 250lb male, so I'm thinking starting out near hunting weight for learning may not be a problem, someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong. Bow will be used for whitetail deer and target practice only.
68-72" Bow Length
33" Arrow Length

There are so many used bows with so little information out there on them its hard to know what is and is not a good deal and what I'll be able to use as my primary bow for several years after purchase. Anyone know of good models several years old I can look for that meet those specs? I'm looking to spend $300-400 for a complete package.

Even if you can direct me to other forum posts to help me it would be great.

Thanks!

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You need to find a local bow shop and go visit them. Ask them to tell you your draw length and pull some different bows. Rather than try buying one when you don't have any experience its well worth you time.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yip, got to KNOW your draw length and not just guess it's between 29"-31". Sounds like you're a strong guy, so a bow in the 60#-70# draw won't be a problem for you. Start off shooting and learning with it set at 60#, and by this coming season you'll be able to crank it up if you feel the need to.

If you're buying a compound bow, don't worry so much about the bow length. When you mention bow length it makes it sound like you're looking at going with a traditional bow? If so, then by all means, something in the 50#-55# range is a good starting point for you.

Arrow length will be determined once you have a bow and someone can measure your actual pull length.

As has been suggested, go to a bow shop and try a few different bows out. Don't even have to buy one, but at least get someone to show you the ropes a little and learn what your draw length is before buying a used bow that doesn't fit you.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
feriil, do yourself a favor and visit www. huntersfriend.com and begin reading. There is a world of useful information about bow's and related accessories. Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by rta48; 06/28/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go to a Pro-shop. Please trust me on this.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Ditto on your local pro shop - Don't waste your money buying things you don't need or don't fit you. You will lose confidence quickly and give it up. There is a lot of good used equipment that will suit your needs.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Ditto on finding a local pro shop. Best if you can find one with a range that they rent. The shop will get you set up right and if you stop by and shoot from time to time you will meet other bowhunters. You can see what they shoot and start to figure out what you like and don't like.

Setting up a bow isn't really rocket science and it maybe that after a season or two you will DIY the bow tuning etc, but its nice to have it done right to start.

One thing.. its doesn't take $1000 in equipment to be a good bow hunter, just like it doesn't take a $2500 rifle to shoot deer. Bowhunters tend to be equipment focused group, but all it takes is an in tune bow, some practice and some judgement to be a good bow hunter.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Go to a Pro-shop. Please trust me on this.

x2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Noknees great advice

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
These guys have you on the right track. I would go to your nearest bow shop and have them set you up a few bows to shoot. Most will jump at the chance to give their expertise.

Lots of quality bows out these days. Find one that feels good in the hand. Once you find one you like, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Shoot every day. Its mucho funno.

PS Getting started can be done very efficiently on a beginners budget.

Joseph

Joseph
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pro shop gets an another +

Look on craigslist for a set or post a WTB Compound bow set on the classifieds here on the fire.

A 68-72" Bow Length is long for a compound. That is the size of my longbow.

I found you a bow on Amazon.com it is a Bowtech Diamond.

Bow

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Do yourself a BIG favor- locate a pro bow shop near you. They can help you with fit, draw weight, arrows, releases, everything you will likely need to get started.
It doesn't mean you need to actually buy all that stuff from them, but I would recommend that you at least buy your bow from them, get it set up with whatever peep, arrow rest, etc. you decide on.
A good bow shop will be available to help you along the way, as you begin shooting, and if you have equipment 'tweaks' that need to be made until you become knowledgeable enough to do some of them yourself.

Please, put the internet wisdom on hold for awhile- With no prior knowledge and experience, you are not yet capable of separating good advise from BS, and the BS predominates.

If you have a buddy who is into bowhunting, and has some experience, by all means lean on him for help getting started in the bowhunting game.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
K
K
Great info above. Got into it about 6 months ago. I'm a small guy 6 ft. Only a buck seventy but ended up starting out with a 70 pounder and set it at 60 to begin with. After practicing a couple of times a week I've got it set at about 67 with no problems pulling or holding for awhile. I started out with a bear mauler package and happy with it. Only cost me about 400 for a complete set up except for the release and arrows. Just remember the obvious - cheap bow expensive bow, it all comes down to practice, practice, and then some more practice...

The 7 P's: Proper Preperation Prevents Pathetically Piss Poor Performance
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just remember, bowhunting season starts soon, many of the better pro-shops will be very busy and may not be able to spend much time with you, especially on weekends, just my opinion. I'm in the same boat as you.

I don't know what your budget is but as with all our toys, get the very best you can afford.

feriil Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the advice so far. Sounds like I need to visit a local pro shop soon, then know where to go from there. I like to patronize local businesses when possible but things are tight enough right now I'll have to get the most expensive stuff (bow) from craigslist or the fire.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always keep your eye open on Ebay.com

They have good deals for older NIB bows. They also have great deals on used bows.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PSE Spyder

You would have to trick it out but for the price you can make it the way you want.

Martin package

Alpine Frenzy

Bowtech

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
The draw weight is way over rated for deer. They are not that big. Start at 55 lbs and learn to shoot every arrow you trip into a 3 inch circle at 25 yds, esp from a high porch or tree stand if you plan to hunt from up high. It is not the same as shooting from the ground.

The shop is going to get you and your bow set up. You might save a few bucks buying it on craigs list, but you will need a lot of help in the beginning. They are going to just not be as available now that it is crunch time.

If you cant get on target like you should I recommend a device called an anchor sight.
Not every one uses them but they really help to get you on the same hold point and shooting form, each shot. Anchor Sight If the shop has never set one up they will be skeptical but you will believe once you see the groups you shoot.

Bow hunting dosnt have to be the latest most $ stuff. A mid grade aluminum or carbon arrow with a 100 grain slick trick broad head will kill any deer inside of 25 yds. That is the range you should be thinking for your first deer.

This is the time to set stands. Not the day before it opens. Shooting lanes in the brush are as important as the location and the wind.

Most archers I know practice all summer getting ready for the fall. This is a rush to get ready if you are thinking September. If the local pro shop has lanes shoot there a lot to get any tips you can to help for the accuracy required for the hunt. If you are getting a 12 inch flyer out of the shot group you need to be aware that you will most likely not find that deer. Tracking a gut shot in the dark is not a high probability situation most nights.

Spend the time to get a good shot with the bow. It will be worth it when the arrow flies true to the game.

There is way more but one internet post is not going to cover it all.

Good luck

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 21, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,893
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.