Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Just curious but how do your dogs travel with you? Inside the open vehicle, back of the truck in a kennel, etc.

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the back of my Suburban in a kennel. I normally try to stop at a wayside every 4 hours or less to air them out.

Last edited by claycrusher; 07/26/11.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Depends if just her and I in the front seat.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
depends.....we like to hunt with 2 vehicles if at all possible but thats mainly cause we seem prone to "hold my beer and watch this" type stunts and the second vehicle to yank the first ofut of a mudhole.....so there is usually room and the dogs ride in the backseats with the kids or designated gate b!tch....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The pickup has a camper shell, 4 or 5 kennels fit in there, a trailer for the additional dogs. This all depends on who goes and how many dogs. If it's just me and Willie going to the store he rides in the back seat. Even though I do it, I think it is a little dangerous to have a 50-80 lb lose object in the car with you.
I don't stop as often, usually about once every 6 hrs on long trips sometimes more often depends on how long I can drive without a break.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In the cab usually.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Driver's seat. I have to set the cruise control for him cause he can't reach the pedals but he stays in the lane pretty good.

Stop lights kind of throw him off, being color blind and all...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Driver's seat. I have to set the cruise control for him cause he can't reach the pedals but he stays in the lane pretty good.

Stop lights kind of throw him off, being color blind and all...

your dogs related to ingwe's?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Kennel in the back of the 4Runner. Otherwise Toby thinks he should be driving. He's pretty smart, but as of now is not up to the task. As soon as he is, I'll turn the duty over to him.

Last edited by battue; 07/29/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think Tobey would look good in the drivers seat.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Truly the safest place is in a kennel.

Dutch my GSP rides in a kennel in the back seat of the F250 Super Duty.

Reba my ACD has always been to dignified to ride in a kennel; besides it would be difficult for her to guard inside a kennel:-)

First stop is usually within 20-30 minutes; after that every few hours.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm about to start a 5 day road trip with an 80lb Airedale in the flattened out back seat in my superduty. He'll have a bed and travel waterer back there and he will be free to climb up in the front passenger seat anytime.

Wish me luck crazy

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I think Tobey would look good in the drivers seat.

He will be along tomorrow. See you at Rock Mountain around 8am.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tomorrow your a day ahead of yourself aren't you????? I thought it was on Sunday.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Leaving tomorrow afternoon and spending the night in a motel. You are correct on Sunday.

Last edited by battue; 07/29/11.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah I had to reread the flyer to make sure. I will see you Sunday morning.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Full-size van & everyone is crated (Vari-kennels) Sometimes The Princess (Tara) rides shotgun. Short distances like to & from work they all ride loose & believe it or not, all 6 are very good.

Be the type of woman that when you wake up each morning and put your feet on the floor the Devil says -
"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by manydogs
I'm about to start a 5 day road trip with an 80lb Airedale in the flattened out back seat in my superduty. He'll have a bed and travel waterer back there and he will be free to climb up in the front passenger seat anytime.

Wish me luck crazy

He slept the whole friggen way. Only came up front when I shut the motor down when it was time to go pee on something. What really surprised me was the number of dogs traveling. At one rest stop, there must have been 8 dogs there at once.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well I said it before but worth saying again, when taveling I will not let my dog out where the Normal "ALL" dogs get out at conviences stores truck stops, Cabellas.

Raider was 8 week baby just picked him up from the breeder to take him home, stopped at Cabella's & a convience store hour later, to let him empty on ride home & he picked up Corona, sub species of Parvo, somewhere, probably Cabellas. Damn near killed him but he survived it.

I make it a point to find somewhere else to stop several blocks from truck stops, let him out, clean up after him, so its not someones problem, nothing irritates anyone more then someones dog crapping in your yards & they don't pick it up.

So think about the possible bug they can catch with (8) so many other dogs having use of the same location.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kennel in the car/truck for me.

I had a friend get rear-ended by another car....two of tree Setters were killed when they were "launched" inside the bed of truck with a topper in it. Severe brain damage and they had to be put down.....not worth it.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,826
Posts18,516,834
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.