Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, I've been in training and out of town except weekends for the last month, so when we set up the garden this year, I used newspaper and straw as mulch to cut down on the weeds, and used drip irrigation on a timer to cut watering time and water use. It seems to be working.

My fruit trees have been doing poorly. The foliage is doing OK on all but the apple trees, but they have produced little fruit. The apples have been getting ravaged by both cedar rust and Japanese Beetles. I sprayed Captan and Malathion on them after bloom, and again recently, but the damn beetles are prolific if nothing else. I plan on using Milk Spore this fall around the trees and plowing it into the garden at the end of the season. I hope that it will keep the beetle grubs down to a dull roar next year.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MColeman
This was the first year I put a garden in that place and the grass/weeds were taking it over. I finally sprayed everything just to try to get it ready for next year.

I had some "corn" in the field next to the garden and the crabgrass was waist high! No exaggeration. I also have some sort of grass with long, narrow, shiny blades (not nutgrass) and I have lots of it. Don't have a clue as to what it is but I'll work on it next. I've already spent $150 on Roundup (generic) and still have weeds.

I could water my garden easily so the dry was not a problem. We're getting good moisture these days, thankfully.

YOu might have a watergrass there... I forget the name, but we had to ID ours, and then buy the right spray.. Roundup and its generic versions did not kill it... It was fairly easy to get rid of once we knew what it was... kind of similar to me, I spray the foundation all around eveyr 3-4 mos or so... with termite spray... so far its killed about anything that crosses its path... but found out the other day that it won't even TOUCH a beetle from the darkling family group of beetles....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by mike762
Originally Posted by gunner500
Mike, I got a nice quite little 22 I need to send You grin.

Gunner

I have the paperwork in to the ATF for a GemTech suppressor. Hopefully I'll get to pick it up in the next few weeks. Thanks for the offer though.

Your welcome, but dont get in a hurry waitin' on those dude's, there stamper runs slower than molasses in alaska, You'll have something for garden maintenance next year though by golly

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How you guys and the bale gardens doing?? Saw some earlier pics when you first got started..wondered if you'll do it again next year??

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I expect they will likely be much slower with ATF being under the gun-literally-with the "Gunwalker" scandal, and possible budget cuts.

Hope springs eternal that they won't take too much longer. Maybe I'll have it by squirrel season though, and I can use my Mk II this fall and not spook everything in the woods when I shoot.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
... with termite spray... so far its killed about anything that crosses its path... but found out the other day that it won't even TOUCH a beetle from the darkling family group of beetles....
Would you believe that darkling beetles are also resistant to cyanide? Years ago, I was collecting beetles and was using a cyanide killing jar. The darklings survived it, even after several days.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
David that's a nice lookin stand of everything!! Just came back from my Canadian fishing trip and think some of Mickey's rouge weeds migrated North to set up shop in my gardens! grin

Thanks Woody. We started most everything from one of these SHTF heirloom seeds sites. I feel this season we wound up with the best garden yet. Monsanto can KMA!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not burning up but cool nights are killin me!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by MColeman
This was the first year I put a garden in that place and the grass/weeds were taking it over. I finally sprayed everything just to try to get it ready for next year.

I had some "corn" in the field next to the garden and the crabgrass was waist high! No exaggeration. I also have some sort of grass with long, narrow, shiny blades (not nutgrass) and I have lots of it. Don't have a clue as to what it is but I'll work on it next. I've already spent $150 on Roundup (generic) and still have weeds.

I could water my garden easily so the dry was not a problem. We're getting good moisture these days, thankfully.

MColeman

That Roundup won't work worth a schitt with it being gourd-vine dry! Grass/weeds have to be 'actively growing' so get you some hose-pipe and water the garden!! grin

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Mickey's not too far from me so I doubt he's gourd-vine dry. It's been raining straight for the last two weeks around here, we're floating away. Everything's soaked.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Another 1/2" last night. smile

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by eh76
Not burning up but cool nights are killin me!

WOW, cool nights? What I wouldn't give for a few cool nights...
its been hot at night, hotter in the daytime. Cabbage and beets doing great, and beans starting to come in. But eveything else has been leafy and slow to produce. Definitely not a banner year. Corn started out slow and may get a good crop yet. Now we got the smokey hazy hot from the Dubois fire, tormenting evrybody's sinuses and respiratory systems. No rain in sight for quite awhile.
You southern guys got some nice gardens there.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
It's really nice of you to ask. I would rate it as pretty bad few tomatoes, one small mess of squash, three little cukes, orchard and berry patch atotal wipe out. We are getting a few grapes. Agian, thanks for asking

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
55F here this morning, 95 forecast for today. Nice thing about this climate is that there's normally a 30 to 40 degree day/night difference. We turn on a window fan a few hrs before bedtime and sleep with a ceiling fan going. It'll be down to 70 by bedtime and by the wee hours, we have a light blanket on top of us.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 39 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,143
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.