Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Does the decreased body taper and increased shoulder angle of the 7x57 AI neccesitate feed rail and/or follower modifications when using a standard large ring 98 Mauser(VZ-24)action?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I had one a long time ago and it fed fine with no modification.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think so but there's better sources than me on this for sure.

Why not just go 280?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Craigster
Does the decreased body taper and increased shoulder angle of the 7x57 AI neccesitate feed rail and/or follower modifications when using a standard large ring 98 Mauser(VZ-24)action?

Didn't on a Mark X I had. It subsequently rechambered to .280. BTW, not a real good recommendation to go from 7x57AI to .280 something weird about dimensions and all that silly stuff.

Try a .280.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Why not just go 280?

Dober

I'm with Dober on this. Should not require dinking with the rails. The 7x57 did not show significant enough gains to AI as far as I'm concerned. The straight 7x57 is a great cartridge in it's own right. If you want to dial it up go 280.

d.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

Why not just go 280?

Dober

Well, ya know, I've got 280 and a 7x57. And I got a really great deal on the dies, and I said I'd never do another Mauser, and I really need (OK want) another rifle, and I'm almost running out of projects, and it'll give me something to do this winter, and it'll keep me off the srteets and out of the bars, and I'm only in $50 on the donor rifle, and ............... wink

For what it's worth, Ackley said this about the 7x57AI, "The improved 7mm is one of the better so called improved cartridges. It has almost ideal powder capacity for the 7mm bore and produces very satisfactory ballistics."

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh man. You've got the "buy the dies without the rifle syndrome". Me too.

Do the Ackley, it will feed just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The dang bought the dies syndrom, I retract my thoughts on the 280 so get after it. I've been to that movie more than a time or two in my life. How on earth do those cheap dies cost me so...much

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The dang bought the dies syndrom, I retract my thoughts on the 280 so get after it. I've been to that movie more than a time or two in my life. How on earth do those cheap dies cost me so...much

Dober

I hate it when that happens! Not really.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Karnis

+1

I once saw such a good deal on bullets that I bought them and then later had to get a rifle to shoot them in...

John

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Yes, I understand the symptoms. Mine manifest themselves with the 250 AI.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jpb

+1

I once saw such a good deal on bullets that I bought them and then later had to get a rifle to shoot them in...

John

I got a good deal on 90 once fired RWS 7x64 cases and that's my paltry excuse to put a 7x64 together. Santa Barbara action, Walther barrel and a Boyds laminate.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnfox
Originally Posted by jpb

+1

John

I got a good deal on 90 once fired RWS 7x64 cases and that's my paltry excuse to put a 7x64 together. Santa Barbara action, Walther barrel and a Boyds laminate.

We have a winner in the reasons to buy a rifle category! Empty cases! smile

Actually, I can understand buying a rifle for RWS cases too! I bought a used .375 H&H rifle and it came with some RWS cases. Best cases I have used in more than 3 decades of reloading! I do not know if all RWS cases are like the ones I had, but mine had almost zero runout, were machined like little brass jewels, showed almost no variation in weight, and look like they are going to last forever (with annealing about every 10 firings). Even better than Lapua cases - and that is saying something.

John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The human mind is limitless in creating excuses to build or buy another rifle..... sick

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For what it is worth: Many years ago, I got my hands on a Interarms Mark X in 243. Shot the barrel out and put on a new douglas barrel in 7mm. Had it chambered for 7mm-08. Got bored and had it rechambered for 284 win. The next year had the bolt face opened up and had it chambered for the 7 Rem Mag. ALL three cartridges fed with no issues with an unaltered feed rail. I did remove a small spacer from the magazine for the longer 7 Rem Mag.

I can understand your wanting to try the 7 x 57AI. It would be great if you could find a few formed cases to see how it fits and feeds. You could try a 284 win case and see what happens. The 284 win has a 35 degree shoulder with minimum body taper which wouldn't be that much different.

Let us know how things worked out when the project is finished.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OldRooster

Why not just go 280?

Dober

I'm with Dober on this. Should not require dinking with the rails. The 7x57 did not show significant enough gains to AI as far as I'm concerned. The straight 7x57 is a great cartridge in it's own right. If you want to dial it up go 280.

d.

Why not just 7x64 Brenneke? or 7x64 Brenneke AI?

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The human mind is limitless in creating excuses to build or buy another rifle..... sick

so true ...+1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by brooksrange

Why not just go 280?

Dober

d.

because of the dies set.

his next project will be a 7x64 ...

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by yukonphil
Originally Posted by brooksrange

Why not just go 280?

Dober

d.

because of the dies set.

his next project will be a 7x64 ...

Ran into a guy at the range today, said he thinks he has of 8x68s dies that he has no use for. Here we maybe go again.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Craigster
[ I got a really great deal on the dies...

This is like a Jeff Foxworthy routine. You could be a rifle looney if....

If you buy a set of dies because it's a really good price, then you have to buy the rifle to use the dies. :-)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 44mc, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,847
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.