Print Thread
Hop To
N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I went to my friends camp yesterday. Brought a bunch of guns for my son (9) and I to shoot. Two years ago I was given a box of Hornady LeverRevolution ammo for my 35 Rem. I tried shooting them yesterday. First I shot a few Remington 200 gr. soft points which I've been using very successfully for the last 20 years. They shot fine, as always. Then I loaded 4 of the LeverRevolution. When I racked the action to chamber the first round, it felt tight and didn't lock up as smoothly as it did with the Remington ammo I use. I was able to fire that round. Then I racked the action again to fire the second round and the action wouldn't lock up. The lever wouldn't touch the little pin/nob on the bottom of the pistol grip action area, which is required to allow the gun to fire. I racked the action again to remove that round and to chamber the next round. The same thing happened. I emptied the magazine and load two different rounds out of the box. Same thing happened.

My friend had a half box of LeverRevolution ammo for his 35 Rem. in his camp. He gave me a few rounds to fire. They fired fine. Unfortunately, he didn't have his rifle so he couldn't try to fire the LeverRevolutions I had. Then we looked closely at the rounds from both boxes of LeverRevolutions and my Remington rounds. The shoulder on the LeverRevolution I had was slightly longer then both his LeverRevolution and my Remington rounds, it was noticeable by eye.

Honestly, I would have never bought LeverRevolutions. I use my rifle for still hunting and hunting in deep thick brush/woods were my shoots will most likely be under 75 yards for deer (hopefully boar and black bear soon). I figured I'd shoot them because I had them. I was wondering if anyone else had trouble with LeverRevolutions?

Thanks, NYH1!

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe you had a bad batch ? Try taking whats left back where you bought them and if a different lot number shows a variance they may exchange them for you. Heard a lot of great things about the ammo.
I've only tried the LR in my old 1936 marlin in 32 special. Seemed the shoulder was visable shorter than all the 32 ws ammo I tried . I had good 200 yard accuracy , but sticky extraction so I decided my old rifle just didn't like them.
Win ( power points and silver tips ), Federal ( power shock ) and , Rem (core lokts ) All fire and function well . Like you , short range and I felt no need to argue with an old rifle that didn't like one brand of ammo .

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Would agree with M1894. If you could actually see that the shoulder on your ammunition appears to be in the wrong place, you may have a bad batch of ammo. Uncommon but it does happen. Yet another remote possibility is that someone pulled a fast one on the dealer by returning a box of handloads and that dealer did not first check them to insure they were what the customer said they were.

Ammunition companies have, on occasion, put out defective ammo (I've witnessed upside down primers and bullets) but I find it hard to believe that the did a run of ammo with the forming dies not property set.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I gave them to my friend. I'm going to stick with the Remington ammo. It's worked all these years.

federali, my boss ordered them from Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops, I can't remember which. He gave them to me for Christmas. They were on back order when he ordered them. So he had them drop shipped to me as soon as they were back in stock. I got them about three weeks after Christmas. I'm pretty sure they weren't bought and then returned. Stranger things have happened I guess though.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've shot several boxes of the LR with very good results then the rounds started keyholing. I contacted Hornady and sent pictures of their ammo and pics uasing federal ammo. Hornady admitted that there were problems with the micro-groove barrels and their LR ammo. I cleaned till I was blue in the face but still get keyholing 1-3 shots out of 5 so I went back to Federal.

IC B2

N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
We were just plinking. My buddies brought a bunch of their pistols, AR's, AK's, assault type of 22 LR carbines for my son (9) to shoot which were pretty cool. I brought my G22, G27, SW1911, 336 35 Rem. and my son and wife's 870 Jr. 20 ga. and his 10/22. My son shot every gun we brought. He did good. We were only shooting at 30 yards or so with our long guns. They have to fix the back stop on their long range target area.

The issue I had with my 35 Rem. wasn't accuracy, it was function ability. When the LR rounds I had would chamber and shoot, they seemed to shoot pretty well, as well as can be figured at 30 yards. My LE rounds just wouldn't function reliably. A few times when I racked the action to chamber the next round, it would put the round in the chamber but the action wouldn't lock up. Also, the next round to be chambered would come back farther then it was supposed to, back past the magazine door/flap. It was just a mess.

It won't do the above mentioned things with my Remington 200 gr. ammo (and never has in the past either) or even with the few rounds of LE ammo my friend gave me to try. I'm going to stick with the Remington 200 gr. ammo. They shoot good and knock deer off their feet, usually a bang flop. This rifle makes a great thick brush, deep woods, still hunting little rifle. I have to get my son a little 336Y, or make one.

Thanks again guys! grin

Last edited by NYH1; 07/24/11.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Throat more likely the issue. I've had to get 35's throat lengthened a bit to accept certain bullets.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
They sound like reloads to me where somebody put in too much of a roll crimp.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Had the same issue of lock up when I tried LR and no problem with winchester or remington so that is what I used.
frank

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 260Remguy, 14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 35 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,115
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.