Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, they did name it after Bill. He was a big Kifaru fan and contributor.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by David_Walter
anybody using the UL Catalyst ?

Yes, awesome hiking pack, but it ain't no meat hauler, the "frame" is a plastic sheet. It'll carry 40#, but really starts to cave on you at about 45#. It is well designed for what it is, an UL/LW hiker's pack. If I could get Kifaru to copy it and put their KU suspension on it and make it in dyed spectra, I'd be a happy man.

I have a Kifaru KU3700/KU E&E on order, I'll probably sell the Catalyst, as they will serve the same purpose, 'cept I can haul a bit of meat with the KU. Should be able to carry a whitetail and LW gear. That's all I need right now.

If it has stays , you should be able to put stronger stays in it to get more weight handling.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yep, the pack is named after Bill K.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by David_Walter
anybody using the UL Catalyst ?

Yes, awesome hiking pack, but it ain't no meat hauler, the "frame" is a plastic sheet. It'll carry 40#, but really starts to cave on you at about 45#. It is well designed for what it is, an UL/LW hiker's pack. If I could get Kifaru to copy it and put their KU suspension on it and make it in dyed spectra, I'd be a happy man.

I have a Kifaru KU3700/KU E&E on order, I'll probably sell the Catalyst, as they will serve the same purpose, 'cept I can haul a bit of meat with the KU. Should be able to carry a whitetail and LW gear. That's all I need right now.

If it has stays , you should be able to put stronger stays in it to get more weight handling.

The pack has a single small stay in the center. I don't think you'd gain much from trying to change it. It is what it is, an excellent hiking pack for light to moderate loads.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
ahh, my epic has two stays. I replaced it with some 7071 aluminum tubing for more load, an I might add in a a CF stay for more stiffness.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
The pack looks pretty good to me. The pockets seem to make it useful when compressed for a daypack and it seems to compress really well. The weight is a nice balance also. Eveyone knows how durable the material is so that isn't an issue. I might actually get one of these. Well done.

You basically fixed everything about the LongHunter and KU5200 I didn't like, not to mention ones made by other brands. Simple with some extras.

It's been a good year for new packs it seems. It'll be interesting to see what people have to say about all of them next year.

J
JBR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Dan360, they did. A fitting tribute to a great man. I'm sure it would've been his new "favorite".

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I believe I will just keep my Gen2 Kifaru Long hunter Guide. Perfection in a pack is already there.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
http://kifaru.net/timberline.html

Up on the website now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any chance we'll see it in a 5200" version for around 5 bills???

Patrick is going to cost me a lot of money before the 2012 season.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
can the Timberline use the cargo chair?

I didn't see anything on that....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Any chance we'll see it in a 5200" version for around 5 bills???

Patrick is going to cost me a lot of money before the 2012 season.

Ditto that! And if they'd offer that pocket arrangement on the Late Season then I'd buy one of those as well.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It appears the Timberline IS a 5200 ci pack...with a 2000 ci snow collar. Same demensions as a standard Longhunter, it just doesn't have the removeable frame.

If they modify the design, or offer a different model, that uses a rolltop/drybag style closure (from the existing snow collar),and makes those dinky little pockets one larger pocket of useable size (ideally of mesh), I'll buy it. If not, I'll most likely have a custom pack built down the road. Before I write a nearly $700 check for a pack, it'll be setup the way I want it to be.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You can use the Timberline with a Cargo Chair or Grab It.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an EMR G2, and a long hunter guide G1. I may just sell one and get the timberline.

Although, the g2 pack frame is hard to beat.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yea, the Timberline is sort of a "tweener"... between the Longhunter and KU. It handles weight like the Longhutners, but you gotta pay a little more attention when you load it since it has no frame sheet. To keep the weight under 6 lbs, but keep the packs material 550D, the Duplex frame was not an option.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
maybe Ive missed it (didn't read every reply) but im a eberlestock fan mainly because there's a scabbard for my rifle or the butt bucket for my bow. do these packs have that option?

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by littlebuf
maybe Ive missed it (didn't read every reply) but im a eberlestock fan mainly because there's a scabbard for my rifle or the butt bucket for my bow. do these packs have that option?

http://www.kifaru.net/gunbearer_hunt.html

Ahh, nice marmot
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The "grab it" is very similar to the Ebrle bucket.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am totaly satisfied with my Kifaru packs. I don't know these other brands. But, I do know how heavy a meat filled pack is, and how my Kifuru packs fail to show signs of wear after a lot of hard use.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 15 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.