Campfire Tracker
S
Mac Swirley

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cacciatore
All,
My wife and I have a little 2.5 year old girl named Alice and we are now expecting a baby boy in a few weeks. I (we) have been really struggling with a name for him. I thought this would be a good place to get some good examples. If you have a second, send me some suggestions of sportsman type names and/or even your kids names if you don't mind me stealing a name from you.

Thanks in advance.
Take Care.

What are your, and your wife's , grandfathers names?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Along with Pat's thinkin, we named our boy after my paternal grandfather

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Emery

.... pronounced EM-er-ee

.... Old English in origin, it means "home strength".

I went to grade school with a boy named "Emery". Always thought it was a pretty cool name, ... maybe just because he was such a good kid. I dunno. His family had a small dairy farm, IIRC. Haven't ever met anyone else with that name, and don't know why I thought of it, now.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Hunter is an excellent boy�s name. However, assuming your Campfire name (Cacciatore) is your last name, it already means hunter, so it will be redundant.

The Italian word for hunter is caccia. Cacciatore di pollo is chicken cooked hunter style (chicken cacciatore).

If you would like to keep his first name traditional & something to go with Cacciatore, here�s some thoughts:

Riccardo (Richard) "powerful ruler"
Gianpiero, compound name, Gianni, God is gracious" and Piero "rock"
Eugenio (Eugene) "well born"
Silvio (Sylvan) "from the forest"
Bernardo (Bernard) "bold as a bear"
Valentino (Valentine) "healthy, strong"
Mario "male, virile"
Vittore (Victor)"conqueror"
Aldo "little sword"
Vicenzo (Vincent) "conquering"
Teodoro (Theodore) "gift of God"
Raul "wise wolf"

Interesting & good that you are giving this much thought. My father just called me 'boy' till the day he died.
Just imagine the �stuff� one can read on this Forum!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slade or Tucker (Tuck) when he gets older. I wanted Slade but decided Tuck would be fine so my wife and I could agree his middle name is Louis after my dad.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Catfish...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why not start a NEW TREND by calling your boy "Weird?"

Or "Unique?" After his dumb parents!

You could always try telling folks you wanted to name the kid a "trendy" outdoor-name after a popular gun powder.

Plus place a burden on him before he even has a chance!

I once dated a gal who was a teacher, who had a student named "Blaze Wilde."

Who's really-DUMB AZZ idea was that?

Kid was a trouble maker (just living up to his name!) who was a real PIA when not taking his RHETILIN (sp?). Mother was single, unmarried. I always wondered if the mom was as stoopid as her son's name! For allowing (or actually) naming her child that name ("Blaze Wilde").

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by HawkI
Catfish...

Name the kid something "dignified" and proud and LEGAL like John or Robert or Kyle or similar, and ......

Call him by a 'nickname' like Catfish, 'Sport', 'Ace', Zeke, etc., etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I surprised no one said "Trapper" yet.

Or "Gunnar" or "Gunther" both become "Gunny"

I have a buddy whose sons are Trapper, Hunter and Fisher in that order.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There was a kid on my son's baseball team named Hunter DeJaeger. Hunter the Hunter? His Father is a serious duck/goose hunter whose nickname is "Goose". Oh, his baby brother's name is Remington DeJaeger.

JEff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in the 1960s I worked for a man named Fox Hunter Purvis. I saw his SS card.

The story he told was that when he was born his Dad was off on a one week fox hunt. The Doctor when filling out the birth certificate took it upon himself to name the baby.

Originally Posted by kkahmann
I know a man, high school principal no less, who named his first son Chase. That man carried his son to several treed bear--by the time the boy was 4 he could make it to the tree most times on his own. Boys middle name is Bear.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Cacciatore
All,
My wife and I have a little 2.5 year old girl named Alice and we are now expecting a baby boy in a few weeks. I (we) have been really struggling with a name for him. I thought this would be a good place to get some good examples. If you have a second, send me some suggestions of sportsman type names and/or even your kids names if you don't mind me stealing a name from you.

Thanks in advance.
Take Care.

I named my eldest son Daniel (After Boone of course)
He now resides coincidently in Boone County, Kentucky.

Life cannot be predicted.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dunno a lot of these sound like names that would be better suited as a nickname than a proper name, maybe it's just me.

Otto is my co-pilot.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Bob

He said a "sportsman name" not a good sport. Which Bob is, of course. smile

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Remington
Hunter
Forest
Fields
Bob White
Winchester
Ruger
Moose (if he's really big)

My mother wanted to name me Elliot, dad won fortunately. She probably would have liked it if I was a musical theater major too, sick

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I will answer a couple of the questions asked to give a clearer picture.

Cacciatore does mean "Hunter" in Italian. It is not my name, but what my Italian buddies I met called me as a nickname when I lived there for a couple years for work.

My wife's name is Katherine (Kate). My name is Robert. I was named after my Dad's Dad. My middle name is Larry after my Dad. If I continue this trend, it may turn into a never ending cycle.
I would like to name him after my Dad, but my wife is a little unsure, so I am trying to get some options.

There have been some real good suggestions. I kind of like the sound of Rigby as well as someone suggested.

I am not looking for something goofy that my son will resent me for later, but I would like something strong and maybe even outdoorsy (not sure if that is a word).

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
What are your, and your wife's , grandfathers names?

I would personally suggest this. My father was named after both of his grandfathers, and my mother was named after her grandmother. Of course they picked my name out of a book.......

My taxidermist named his three sons Hunter, Shooter and Trigger. That's cute and all, but as Sal mentioned it can really backfire if the kid ends up not being very interested in hunting or shooting.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Have met some folks who named their first son Hunter and Fisher. And others with some of the suggestions like the above. It's cutesy when they're 2.

Thereafter it's a reminder that some folks aren't clear on whether God's given them children or pets.

Give him a man's name. Larry and Lawrence (and Robert) are all perfectly fine. I'd bet your family and hers both have many examples that he would be proud to pass on one day, instead of remembering that his very name is a gag.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 56 invisible), 3,188 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,794
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.