Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I own a RRL 28 ga., which I use for doves, quail, and pheasants over dogs.

Lately I have been visiting a local gun shop, and they have a Browning Citori Feather. It comes to shoulder perfectly, with the exact sight picture I need- just bead, no runway of rib to look at. Perfect. Great wood, a little engraving, excellent wood to metal fit, wood all matches grain and color.

Anyway- there is nothing really wrong with the Ruger, except it's plain, the forend wood doesn't really match the buttstock, and even after thousands of rounds, the action still opens rather rough.

I shoot it well enough, but there is just something about this gun I can't warm up to.

I paid about $750 new for the Ruger, at an auction- it retails in the $1300 or more range nowdays. The Browning, on the other hand, retails for around $2200.

So, here's the deal- I really want to buy the Browning, and sell the Ruger, but I usually try to come up with at least a somewhat plausable excuse to give the wife, and I'm having trouble with this one.

Any suggestions, other than just keep the Ruger and be happy?

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you like the Browning then sell the Ruger and purchase the Browning. I have tried both and the Beretta 686 28 ga is what i liked the best. I purchased the 686 two barrel set so i could switch from 20 to 28 with the same shotgun.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I'm not mistaken the Browning has an aluminum receiver with a steel insert and I just can't warm up to that. Probably not a thing in the world wrong with that, I just like all steel guns.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Browning is a very durable gun that will retain resale value pretty well. That's not generally true about the Rugers. More people in my experience like the Browning.
I think it is a better gun than the Ruger O/U.

Good luck!

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Browning is by far superior to the Ruger in every respect... and that while admitting I cannot shoot a Browning to save myself... I have two and have had several more.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have handled the red label & own 2 Citoris. I much prefer the Brownings. My 20 is a Citori 'Lightning Feather' with a 26" barrel, very enjoyable to carry in the grouse & woodcock coverts. I think you could find a slightly used Citori for a fair bit under $2200.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have owned a Red Label 20ga but not the 28ga. I currently own a 686 Silver Pigeon S 28ga that I really like however, I also have an older Citori 28ga with fixed chokes that I shoot very well. I prefer the Browning. It weighs more, has 28" barrels and swings easily. I have to push the Beretta to get it started and keep it going but it is light, 26" barrels, and it is just a pretty little O/U. This is just my opinion, I'm certainly no expert. Get the Browning and shoot it a lot!

B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got my Freedom Arms .454 Casull for sale. If it sells this week, it's off to the gun store for that 28 ga. Citori!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Anyway- there is nothing really wrong with the Ruger, except it's plain, the forend wood doesn't really match the buttstock, and even after thousands of rounds, the action still opens rather rough.

I shoot it well enough, but there is just something about this gun I can't warm up to.

Any suggestions, other than just keep the Ruger and be happy?

I've not owned a Ruger, but most I've handled seem loose or sloppy, even fairly new ones. I'm surprised yours opens rough.

I have both Beretta and Browning OUs. The Brownings are heavier, but I don't have the aluminum framed ones. The Brownings are pretty tight, and don't open near as easily as the Berettas. Beretta receivers are also more slender, except for the Cynergy, which has styling I don't care for. My vote for an upland OU: Beretta

Last edited by OldForester; 08/17/11.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 37 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,156
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.