Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This has always puzzled me, I know thier big nock is because they are investment cast, it has been proven that they are just as strong as any other action. Is it just because gun smiths dont trust them because they are cast, obviously i know mod 70s and rem 700s are so plentiful and have proven to be excellent performers. Just wondering what the fellas at the fire' thought.

Thanks.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As a preface to this post- please bear in mind I have owned Ruger m77s for over 30 years now. I feel they are a great factory made bolt gun.

As far as their use in custom builds- they are out there. Proably in about the same numbers as Sakos . They are not used more in custom rifles due partly the basic build quality of the Rugers. It's not just the investment casting but the tolerances. Over all, they are rather sloppy built actions to be building a high end custom rifle on.

Two high end guns out there- Shiloh Sharps rifles and Freedom Arms revolvers are both made almost totally of investment castings- yet they are built like fine watches compared to a Ruger m77 of any vintage.

The other part is due to the other actions available. There are better "accuracy" actions like Remington m700s and clones.
There are more "classic" actions like pre 64 m70s and m98 Mausers for building high end classic stocked guns.

One other aspect of customizing Ruger m77s is for the use most folks buy them for- basic working class rifle- they do not NEED to be customized. They shoot very well with a bit of bedding/tuning and already have well designed stocks on them..

That is my take.

Last edited by jim62; 08/07/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Rugers are tough as nails. When I lived in Alaska, I knew 4 different guides that carried the M77. I asked them why a Ruger and not a 700 or 70. All said that the m77's just worked and could stand up to tons of abuse.

I have owned 2 of them, a 30-06AI and a 338 Winmag(both ss)and sold em when I left AK.(still regret it!)

My next rifle is going to be a 280AI on a stainless M77 and an MPI stock. it will be accurate and tough as nails.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
My theory was that Ruger builds such a great rifle, that the donors never get turned into customs.

Not like those Remington 700s... whistle

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think the main reason is there aren't a lot of aftermarket goodies for Rugers. You are stuck with their heavy ring system, and few companies make a stock for the MKII's or Hawkeyes. Plus, seems the latest trend is for light rifles, and Rugers are not a good starting point in that regard.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2.....not what I would call High end.....one in 338-06 and a McMillan ......the other in 270 with a nice walnut handle....both in SS.

I also own 3 "Factory" M77s in 257Bob,350RM and 300WM.....also SS....I love Ruger bolt rifles. Where and how I hunt 2lbs of rifle means nothing.

Robert

Last edited by Bruzer; 08/07/11.

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If I could get an Edge for an M77 I'd have several more than I do now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brown Precision and MPI are the only two that I know of that make a ligh-ish stock for the MKII. Brown only in long action.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Ruger that wears a 308 Norma barrel, and it shoots really well. The smith that put that barrel on had no qualms about doing it on a Ruger.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Banser or High Tech makes them don't they?
Originally Posted by pointer
Brown Precision and MPI are the only two that I know of that make a ligh-ish stock for the MKII. Brown only in long action.

Banser or High Tech makes them don't they?

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have a number of semi-customs built on Ruger MkII's and one on a Tang Safety. If you like the ruger action and you can meet your weight requirements with a ruger, they work fine. All mine are sporting rifles but they shoot as well as similar rifles built on Remington actions.

Two things I would Like changed, or rather have available in the aftermarket, would be a the McMillan MKII classic made in EDGE and someone to make rings that weigh about half what The stock Ruger's do.

Frankly if your making a LW rig the ruger isn't the place to start, but I have found that a 22" ish #2 contour and the MCmillan MKII classic make a reasonable rifle that both carries well and shoots well.

I just picked up a MKII in 7mm SAUM..not sure what to make it into yet. 338WSM?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea,it can be done,but what I've seen they just don't resale well,well below the standard loss of a P64 or M98 action custom. I hunt with them like crazy,just make'm shoot and leave them alone from there... I had this done to my 6.5X55, I like color case.Besides slimming the stock down and adding a ebony tip,trigger and it's ready to go shoot stuff...

[Linked Image]

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have a point.

Consider however that a factory rifle with a really nice stock can be tuned to equal many of the features of a so called custom. Of course it may not have the superior checkering etc. of some rifles we see posted here.

The Ruger Express rifle had a suggested retail of $1,550. It came with a integral barrel rib and some had very fine wood.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have built most of my parts guns on Remington 700 series actions because they have generally been less expensive to buy and there were far more after-market part options easily available. When I started building parts guns in the mid-1980s, there were lots of Remington 700 and 722 donors that could be bought for around $150, but not nearly so many Ruger 77s in the same price range.

The only Rugers that I've put together were in the RSI configuration, because I like mannlicher stocked rifles and 77 RSI stocks are the easiest mannlicher style stocks to find via the internet.

JEff

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rugers have loose tolerances.

That's why so many custom rifles are built on Mausers instead of Rugers.

smile

Bruce

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Customizing a Ruger 77 is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I consider the M77 stainless rifle a hunters rifle and not a "looney" rifle. You see an awefull lot of them here in Alaska cuz they are rock solid.

I did end up tricking out my kids Mk II SA. It started out as a ss/laminate compact in .308 Win with the 16.5" barrel. It was his starter centerfire rifle I bought for him when he was 10.

I put on a 22" PN 10 twisty, 3 groovy bbl. Plus a B&C Carbelite stock bedded to the action and a Timney trigger. Yeah, and I steal it from him time to time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's mine. It ain't nothing to look at. M77MKII with a McMillan stock, Krieger fluted SS #4 barrel and Timney trigger. It's chambered in a .264WM and wears a S&B Zenith 3-12X50 scope. It's a nice "beanfield" rifle.

[Linked Image]

Terry

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What do you guys consider light I have a 7-08. Hawkeye in a mcswirly That weighs under 7 w scope I believe that's light for me I spose.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TC1
Here's mine. It ain't nothing to look at. M77MKII with a McMillan stock, Krieger fluted SS #4 barrel and Timney trigger. It's chambered in a .264WM and wears a S&B Zenith 3-12X50 scope. It's a nice "beanfield" rifle.

[Linked Image]

Terry

I like this one. How long is the barrel.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 219DW, 21 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,765
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.