Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I can't seem to figure out what I need here. I hunt western NE/ KS rifle seasons, Nov/ Dec. There is the possibility of an Oct. CO pronghorn hunt as well.

Last year was my first out west and I learned a big lesson, covering ground is the key. That being said I need to leave the heavy weight stuff behind and I have decided that Sitka is the way to go. I have good base layer and windshear mid layer pieces right now but what do I need for a shell/ all around. It is typically quite dry in the winter so completely waterproof is not a concern. I have settled on either the Jetstream or 90% jacket? For pants I am looking at either the 90%, Mountain, or Timberline (mainly for the waterproof seat/ knees, knowing full well that baselayer will be a necessity.

First hand experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
90% or go with the Mountain Pants and 90% jacket. That way you can layer underneath but still be ok in warmer weather. I would go 90% for what you described.

Good Shooting!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by hunting1
90% or go with the Mountain Pants and 90% jacket. That way you can layer underneath but still be ok in warmer weather. I would go 90% for what you described.

+1

Alan

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Well I bit the bullet tonight.

I really appreciate the advice, I got the go ahead from the finance department that "You needed to be warm this year" so I re-thought my hunting conditions. It was below 0 windchill last year a couple of days so I figured I would cover myself.

Traverse Beanie
Timberline Pant
Jetstream jacket
suspenders

Again thanks for the advice, I hope this Sitka stuff is all I hope it is.

Nick

Last edited by evans1010; 07/26/11.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd have got the 90%. But you won't be disappointed. I love the sita gear. Good luck.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Just a follow up:
The Timberline pants are very similar in weight to the 90% though they have the removeable knee pads and waterproof knees and butt. Excellent construction and very true to the 36R size, though they may have been a bit longer than what I would have expected for a regular.

The Jetstream is slightly heavier than the 90% jacket in core areas plus the hood and Wind Stop. The XL does fit slimmer than the 90% in the same size which was welcome after trying the 90% on.

The Jetstream gloves are next and I should be set. I did buy a set of suspenders for the pants only to find out they already came with them. Let me know if you need a set, they will be cheap.

Thanks
Nick

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had a few of the Sitka gear pieces over the years. I think they have gone downhill since the original owner sold. the good news is the the original owner started KUIU

http://kuiu.com/

I only have the Attack Pant so far but they are superior to my Sitka Ascent Pants. Much more abrasion resistant.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I've had a few of the Sitka gear pieces over the years. I think they have gone downhill since the original owner sold. the good news is the the original owner started KUIU

http://kuiu.com/

I only have the Attack Pant so far but they are superior to my Sitka Ascent Pants. Much more abrasion resistant.

+1 on the Kuiu.
I had the jetstream jacket and bought the guide jacket from Kuiu and I stay warmer and sweat less. Seems like the Kuiu breaths better but still cuts the wind. I hunt the Kalifornia coast for deer and pigs and the weather is horrible. Deer season is hot normally around 100 to 105 or freeze your butt off cold. 20 mph wind 90% humidity
with fog and 50 degrees. Normally on the same day so you need light weight stuff that breaths good.
Seems like the Sitka gear keeps way more sweat inside to get you wet.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Where were you guys 2 weeks ago! Oh well, I will see how the Sitka works out.

Thanks,
Nick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (2500HD, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 52 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,781
Posts18,515,729
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.