-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm contemplating getting a new semi auto to take up waterfowl hunting and also to upgrade from the pump I have used for sporting clays and wobble. I have shot a Remington 870 Express for years now and the gun has never failed me. So, needless to say, when I find a brand that does not let me down, I want to stay with that company. I know, loyalty can get you in trouble sometimes, therefore I am asking for input. I have read and heard both positive and negative about the new Remmy Semi and wanted to know if there are any out there shooting and either loving it or hating it. Any input, good or bad, would be very much appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

may all your projectiles fly true!!
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No one with experience with this gun?? UP

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
why when for that price you can buy a Benelli M1?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually I just put my hands on one about a month ago - takes new guns quite a while to show up in small eastern NC gunshops. I don't know anyone who has bought one or shot one yet. I think the Benelli M-1 that MCH mentioned is discontinued. My Benelli M-2 was made in 2006 and is supposed to be the replacement for the M-1 (I haven't seen a new one in some time.) The Versa Max I put my hands on was similar to the other modern, aluminum receiver shotguns you see today - couldn't tell you a thing about function.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You can still find NIB M1's if you look hard enough. Then its only a matter of how much they want for it. Usually they aren't too bad. You can keep the M2.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed. You can't go wrong with a Benelli auto-loader for a waterfowl gun.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mm08okie
No one with experience with this gun?? UP

If you go to Shotgunworld, you can probably read all weekend.

Remington actually succeeded in recalling the Versamax before it was even in widespread distribution. Coming on the heels of their 105 Cti fiasco (actually there is probably not a word descriptive enough to capture the tragedy of that whole cluster), you thought they would have known better. But no.

Now it seems the guns they're shipping might actually be working. This is all based only on what I've read over on Shotgunworld so decide for yourself.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by antlers

Waterfowl? How about the little 28ga for chukar? I wouldn't mind lugging that thing around chukar country. Oh what the hell add quail, woodcock, and grouse for that matter.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 08/12/11.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by antlers

Waterfowl? How about the little 28ga for chukar? I wouldn't mind lugging that thing around chukar country. Oh what the hell add quail, woodcock, and grouse for that matter.

I only mentioned waterfowl because that's what the dude who started this thread was inquiring about. I agree with your additional comments too. cool

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
True.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
You can still find NIB M1's if you look hard enough. Then its only a matter of how much they want for it. Usually they aren't too bad. You can keep the M2.

Why thank you, I believe I will keep it.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all of the input. I have since put my hands on most of the new offerings of shotguns in the auto loading higher end category. I attention has now shifted from the Remy to the Browning Maxus. Anyone have any field experience with this gun? Sorry to change horses, but when I picked up the Remy, it just did not feel right. Thanks everybody!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got one and with one exception believe it's a good all around shotgun. It only weighs 6lbs 15oz and will handle light and heavy loads. IMO it has good ergonomics with all the shims and spacers you'd need for a good fit. It seems pretty simple and is easy to break down for cleaning. I've probably put a flat of shells through it so far. The exception was it not firing on some but not all follow up shots. I'd shoot once and the trigger wouldn't pull on the followup shot. From what I've heard most owners don't have this problem but enough do that there's a lot about it over on Shotgun World.

It appears the problem is the trigger return spring. Browning said send us the gun and we'll fix it. I asked them to send me a spring and they refused. I kind of understand their position but didn't feel like going through the hassle during hunting season. I stretched the spring and so far it's ok.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 08/16/11.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Browning maxus is an externally redesigned browning gold. The guts are mostly the same. Not all Bt mostly.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info. I checked Brownell's. The part looks the same and doesn't cost but a few bucks. If mine gives me any more trouble I'll give them a try.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 47 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,243
Posts18,504,590
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.