Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
blitzen Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thought I would have a little fun here and see what people think. Does one little hole in an original stock really make that much difference as to the collectibility of a 99? Before I go any further let me say that I totally agree that any alteration to the metal kills the collector's value of any firearm. Here is the situation: I have two 99Fs, a pre mil in .243 and a slightly post mil in .308, both guns 90% or better condition and unaltered except for one little hole in the butt stock which was drilled for a sling swivel stud which now resides in said hole. The forends of both guns have not been altered but the original forend screws have been replaced with sling swivel studs that screw into the original holes. Let me know what you think.

Doug

"It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." Tom T. Hall
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of us collect Savages. I'm sure ALL of us have at least ONE rifle that has been dicked with in one way or another. Personally, I wouldn't let that ONE LITTLE HOLE bother me in the least as long as the rest of the rifle hasn't been dicked with. There are still MANY of us that have at LEAST one rifle in the herd that has had scope base mounting holes drilled into the reciever/barrel. If that rifle was a rare one, I don't think there's more than a handful that would let it walk, regardless of what is preached. There are some that look down their noses at any rifle that is less than pristine. To those folks, I say thank you. We've had several threads over the years attempting to answer,, Are you a collector or just an accumulator? I have a "collection" of Savages some here would snub..........But to me,,,,,,,,,,well I think you get my drift.

That one little hole is/should have been a barganing point. ALL of my rifles see time in the woods. I love to hunt and the rifles were made to shoot. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We collect for different reasons. It makes a difference if you buy them to resell at a profit. If you buy them to have, to shoot, to enjoy it should make no difference at all unless it makes a difference to you. Enjoy!

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its not going to make much difference in the price of a gun that is 90% b/c that is not really collectors quality anyways... and post mils as a whole really don't demand a premium of any sort unless they have a box with them. 90% might be a collectors gun if it was say pre-war, especially pre- WW I. And then yes, sling stud will effect final price as that gun is likely being bought by a collector... we are assuming public sales like a large auction or internet sale.

If the gun was 99% with sling stud(s)... then yes, the sling stud would effect the selling price.... for all 99s that were not factory original with studs.

If you are thinking of selling the F, please let me know.

Andrew
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
After reading the thread title, I thought this was going to be an entirely different topic! :-) Oh, I'm bad........ I'm here all week folks!

My "accumulation" has more with extra "tiny holes" than not. The deer don't seem to mind. IMHO, slings are "bad" when hunting, as the rifle shouldn't be over your shoulder, BUT, they certainly come in handy when your dragging one (or two) deer out of the woods. That being said, I try to never add any additional holes in my rifles that weren't there when I aquired them. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It all depends on WHAT you are collecting! Pristine 99's or F's or calibers (me) or SRC's or .....? We ALL want the best condition rifles we can find and/or afford. I know I have a couple I wish I had passed on and used that money towards a better gun later on but they fit a hole in "collection" and hopefully will upgrade some day. And I will shoot most of mine if not all some day. It all boils down to having fun and enjoying your guns!

Bruce
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me they are less concern than a recoil pad or D&T. They do need to be in an acceptable location and style.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick99
For me they are less concern than a recoil pad or D&T.

Yep:

I have 99's with sling studs. I prefer them without though wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
To HELL with you snobby ,perfection ,purists !!!!!!!! i collect serial numbers !!!!!!! grin grin grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Okay Don, I'll trade ya a dozen serial numbers for a dozen of those pesky wood and metal things you got in your vault.

Just cuz I'm a nice guy... grin

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like them attached to a firearm !!! grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here's the 308 EG I just picked up.Is the bit big enough?? http://photobucket.com/sqweeler i5

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd use a plug cutter bit myself with a little gorilla glue. Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
john no would probably be happy with lots of the guns that are passed by by many on his forum grin

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1OntarioJim, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,336
Posts18,526,767
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.