Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The .375 H&H Nosler Accubond 260 grains(the two on the left) versus the old standby the 270 grain Remington Corelokt at the same velocity.

You be the judge...

[Linked Image]

Jayco

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
Agreed that my own choice is the Accubond; agreed also with those who point out the Accubond by design sheds weight and so disagree with any who think the Accubond is the answer to the question as asked.

Then too my preferred elk rifle is a .375 bore with the 260 grain Accubond at nothing like the speed indicated by the OP. For the indicated speeds my preferred bullet is the Barnes MRX in 308 which both benefits from and can use the speeds indicated.

To the question as asked I'd suspect the Hornady or the Scirroco. On the other hand lacking wide experience,

-I'm inclined to be a good enough is good enough type along with using enough gun and not asking a cartridge to punch above its weight (and these days cartridges can reach higher than they did when I formed my ideas and experience)

I'm inclined to suspect the question is asking for deeper penetration and a bullet that retains 100% of its as loaded weight while assuming the shape of a round ball will certainly disrupt tissue for so far as it goes but may stop sooner than a long shank as is typical forex of the monolithic bullets.

The only person I've known at all well who has killed truckloads of game did so working for the govt and used mostly military ball - placement will always work.
laugh! Thanks for pointing that out, in my rambling about bullets I failed to answer the question, the Interbond gets my vote as toughest of the chosen three.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW
Well two of the three you just mentioned will be used this year....

Exits and cartridge with the 130 SII?

SS II's where in a 260 and a 6.5 SLR... from 210 yds out to 635ish...

All were pass throughs...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DaRanger
Nosler Accubond gets my vote. Very reliable bullet. The Scirocco never did much for me.

I've killed about 10 elk over the years with the Accubond and wouldn't change a thing.

I doubt anybody has killed "Truck Loads" of wapiti. Especially with Scirocco's.

Before you engage your man pleaser, you may want to have an idea of who you direct your comments towards...

Congratulations on your 10 elk killed over the years... That's just a busy day for me to rack up that count...

I am confident by FAR that I have killed more animals in one season than you have viewed in a life time but please continue on with Tales of what you have accomplished and the talley of animals you have "Counted Coup" on...

My statement stands... By the [bleep] Truck Load...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AK_ARCHER
Witch one of thees bullets is the toughest/has hightest weight retention - Hornady InterBond, SST, Nosler AccuBond, Swift Scirocco II? MV should be around 3,100-3,200fps.

Just a pic of some of the results I've expierenced... I would think either the Accubond or the SS II's would be the ticket unless you went with a Mono boolit...

Shoot what shoots best out of your rifle... Shot placement trumps bullet and headstamp in all cases... IMHO...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Nosler Accubond gets my vote. Very reliable bullet. The Scirocco never did much for me.

I've killed about 10 elk over the years with the Accubond and wouldn't change a thing.

I doubt anybody has killed "Truck Loads" of wapiti. Especially with Scirocco's.

Where did he go........ Kinda looks like truck loads... grin

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 08/12/11.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks a LOT like truck loads......grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AK_ARCHER
Witch one of thees bullets is the toughest/has hightest weight retention - Hornady InterBond, SST, Nosler AccuBond, Swift Scirocco II? MV should be around 3,100-3,200fps.

I'd say weight retention would be very similiar will all the bullets you mention. I prefer Accubonds because they shoot accurately in my rifles. I've had little success getting Interbonds or Sciroccos to shoot accurately.

These are 140gn Accubonds from my 270WSM and were recovered from wild pigs. Impact velocity was approx 2850fps and retained weight was 98gns and 86gns.

As expected,higher impact velocity results in less weight retention.

[Linked Image]

This is another 140gn Accubond from a 270WSM. Impact velocity was approx 3000fps and retained weight was 73gns.

[Linked Image]

This 140gn Accubond from a Ruger .280 retained 89gns - impact velocity 2900fps

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dingo; 08/12/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Accubond

Post from JonA

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

From left to right:

308 Cal 200 AB, 3170 fps: Penetration 11". Retained weight 133.6, 67%
338 Cal 225 AB, 3100 fps: Penetration 12". Retained weight 145.2, 65%
375 Cal 260 AB, 2700 fps: Penetration 12". Retained weight 203.6, 78%
375 Cal 260 PT, 2700 fps: Penetration 10". Retained weight 219.0, 84%

It was nothing too scientific, but I thought some might enjoy seeing the results. The medium was firewood:

[Linked Image]

Over the years I've found it to give results very close to what one can expect on game (depending upon where you hit the game, of course--no medium contains all the variables a big game animal does). This wood was greener and wetter (and of course, frozen) than what I've usually used in the past and penetration was about 35% less compared with past tests with the 200 & 225 which I've tested quite a bit. I feel it was a pretty tough test at full muzzle velocity.

Of note, the 260 Partition was the only bullet that failed to exit the first log:

[Linked Image]

The 200 AccuBond exited the first but bounced off the second. Both the 225 AB and 260 AB made it 1" into the second log.

All outstanding bullets IMHO. Sorry, I haven't recovered any of these bullets from game yet. Maybe som

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
D
Well I stand corrected on the truck loads of wapiti. Seems like a waste of game animals in my opinion.

Appears you shoot a lot of bullets into water, wet phone books or ballistic gel to have acquired that amount of recovered projectiles. What medium are you using that would equal the same results as a game animal would produce?

I still believe the Accubond is a projectile without peer. Any other is a distant second. Elk is not the only animal I've killed with them.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will stand corrected once again...

On any edible animal that is harvested the meat is donated to those in need (Low Income, elderly, single parent families, etc)and nothing goes to waste...

The bullets I posted were all taken from a dead animals... I don't put my trust in fish tanks, soggy phone books or jello to let me know how a bullet will perform in an animal... Nothing IMHO will produce the results of a game animal on a bullet... Obviously you KNOW otherwise...

Any bullet when placed correctly will kill an animal... A piece of gravel launched at 2700 fps will kill as long as it is placed correctly... Shot placement trumps all...

Congrats on the many kills with an Accubond... I'm sure you numbers are astounding... I await the pictures of said animals if only to rub my nose in it...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DaRanger

You haven't been posting for long here on the fire and your already on your way to being the LONEranger. The man calls himself "elkhuntingguide" why wouldn't you believe that he witnessed truck loads of elk taken? Then you assert that those bullets didn't come from the truck loads of elk that he showed you. At the rate your sticking your feet in your mouth your going to qualify for permanent disability pretty soon.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Note to self...

When EHG says truckloads he ain't bullchitten.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, them's truckloads.

Someone needs to show some smart and shut the hell up..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I still believe the Accubond is a projectile without peer. Any other is a distant second......

Gee.....I didn't know they are THAT good..... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
You will stand corrected once again...

On any edible animal that is harvested the meat is donated to those in need (Low Income, elderly, single parent families, etc)and nothing goes to waste...

The bullets I posted were all taken from a dead animals... I don't put my trust in fish tanks, soggy phone books or jello to let me know how a bullet will perform in an animal... Nothing IMHO will produce the results of a game animal on a bullet... Obviously you KNOW otherwise...

Any bullet when placed correctly will kill an animal... A piece of gravel launched at 2700 fps will kill as long as it is placed correctly... Shot placement trumps all...

Congrats on the many kills with an Accubond... I'm sure you numbers are astounding... I await the pictures of said animals if only to rub my nose in it...

I still recall your count from the season on another forum and it was simply astounding, truely seveal lifetimes of experience for anyone else I have even heard of.

Any comments on getting the Swifts to shoot well? I burned up a box or two in a .270 with a variety of powder and lenghts but did not get the results I was looking for.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been known to kill a thing or three... grin

Not sure on the .270 as I don't own one... In most of mine I'm jumpin them 10 thousandths with heavy doses of powder... I have them kissing in the 223AI but that particular rifle loves everything kissing...

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Thanks, and since you said everything is eaten how did that Navajo turn out?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tough and gamey...

D
D
I understand I have not been posting or a member here for a lengthy amount of time but everyone here was new at some point. I am posting of my experience only. Accubonds have always performed amazingly for me and I will continue to harvest and fill my tags with them.

I questioned elkhuntinguide's comment on Trucks Loads because I found that hard to believe. I have seen other posts directed towards him as not being what his User Name would suggest thus the reason for my disbelief.

His recovered bullets seemed odd due to the amount of Barnes projectiles he has pictured. I have read numerous times on here and other forum's that most never recover Barnes projectiles. That's why I questioned what medium he was using to acquire the projectiles.

A poster mentioned his Numbers he had posted else where and I have never viewed those numbers so I have no idea the amount of game he has been involved with.

He chose to champion the Scirocco and I disagree that it is a better projectile than the Accubond. He only pictured one Accubond so his knowledge and use of them must be limited. He would benefit by their use.

I could be wrong.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (2500HD, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 72 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,462
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.