Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5478561 08/01/11
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A friend has a Witness in 38 Super for sale that has my curiosity peaked.

Anyone have an educated opinion of the Witness pistols in 38 Super? Seems like a solid CZ design, all steel with a grey finish. Trigger is better than most pistols I've handled latley.

It's in very nice condition with 2 mags and the case for $400.

A good way to get in some 38 Super fun? Or an over priced paper weight? What says the Fire?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like the CZ design, and Tanfoglio generally makes decent stuff IMO.

There were some issues with cracked slides when then they went to the rounded slide profile, but that appears to have been primarily with the 10mm guns. I'm not sure if the 38s were afected as well. (You can probably mitigate the potential by running a buffer and/or heavier spring.)

The full size frame is pretty big, but I assume you have handled the gun and don't have a problem with that.

I'd try to get it for $350, but I'm cheap.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MadMooner
A friend has a Witness in 38 Super for sale that has my curiosity peaked.

Anyone have an educated opinion of the Witness pistols in 38 Super? Seems like a solid CZ design, all steel with a grey finish. Trigger is better than most pistols I've handled latley.

It's in very nice condition with 2 mags and the case for $400.

A good way to get in some 38 Super fun? Or an over priced paper weight? What says the Fire?

Nice gun and a great price......the .38 super on this one is so cool....hi cap and a real cartridge.....great guns always end up being copied or cloned...the CZ75 is one of those and for good reason....if the gun has a downfall its the price of mags....a little pricey and not found just anywhere....outside of that....great gun

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Tanfoglio guns are solid; used to be the basis for Team Springfield's IPSC competition guns. They feel good in the hands and that .38 Super is a great pistol. Lots of boo-lits in that magazine. And you can shoot 9x23 in there as well if you decide to rock the house a bit.

The EAA's are convertable and you can get conversion units in 9mm, 10mm (that's what I'd take), .45, & .22. I think a .22 conversion unit would be a solid idea, and a 10mm would be nice too.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the opinions. I may swing by this afternoon and take it home.

I just have to find 38 Super ammo now.......

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You will love the gun.....they are a first rate design and well built

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So I decided to buy it.

[Linked Image]

It's quite clean, doesn't appear to have seen much use. Both mags hold 17 rnds.

I was a little worried about finding/affording ammo until I get set up to reload, but I found 38Super at the local shop. $20 a box of Mag Tech. Damn near the same as 380

I'll stop at the range later and see how I do with it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats on the new pistol....find yourself a commercial reloader...I have one here in NORCAL that does 38 super....I take him the brass and he charges me 22-25cents per if I remember right

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner
So I decided to buy it.

[Linked Image]

It's quite clean, doesn't appear to have seen much use. Both mags hold 17 rnds.

I was a little worried about finding/affording ammo until I get set up to reload, but I found 38Super at the local shop. $20 a box of Mag Tech. Damn near the same as 380

I'll stop at the range later and see how I do with it.

Georgia Arms loads a 124 gr Speer Gold Dot in Super. I have used their 9mm and 10mm loadings and it is first class stuff. Saw a box of Winchester silver tips a while back at $45 plus a box. Ouch!

http://georgia-arms.com/38super.aspx

Last edited by rkamp; 08/01/11.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey Mad,

Do you still like it? I'm looking at an EAA Witness on Gunbroker, NIB, 40S&W, at $289+shipping and FFL fees. It's blue and full-sized. I've read good things about them, but don't know anybody that owns one. The seller (Tanner's Sports) is offering factory magazines (12 rounds) for $25 each. He has more than 30 of these for sale.

I have a PT-92 and a PT-100, both of which fit my hands nicely.

Any advice?

Thanks!

JJ

Last edited by JJ1962Hemi; 08/11/11.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." -- Ronald Reagan

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when these were coming in steady int he early 90's, when i was a periodic gunstore manager (in between owner's cancer bouts) We sold a passel of these. I never owned one 'cause my hands were darn small, and the trigger reach on the gun in DA was wortless, but I really think I cheated myself, because we never had even ONE come back with an issue, which is one heckuva lot more than i can say for some hi-buck stuff we sold.

If you can ever snag one of those FIE TZ-99' they are butt-ice ugly, but every bit as good.

Cool score - I am lusting after a 38 Super

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks! I like the idea of a large frame steel pistol. I love the PT-92 that I have. I made the mistake of ordering a too-pretty PT-101 (rosewood grips, bright stainless, gold accents) that I hate to shoot. I thought a Witness in 40 S&W would be something I'd have no trouble beating on a little bit!

I know that, some day, I'll add a 38 Super to the collection, and a 44 Special, and a 32-20, and a 7.62 Tokarev....so much to do and so little time!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." -- Ronald Reagan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (22kHornet, 219 Wasp, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1badf350, 47 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,092
Posts18,501,938
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.