Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I know this has been debated many times, but I didn't find anything similar to this question in the search on this site. I recently bought a Glock 26 as a CCW and haven't been able to make up my mind on which ammo to carry for self defense. I know that pretty much all of the high grade hollow points will work if you do your job and make the shots count, but every advantage helps. It's also nice to have what you believe to be one of the best rounds available loaded in your gun just for confidence purposes. I've pretty much settled on the Federal HST based off of reviews and price, but I can't make my mind up between the 124 grain and 147. Or weather or not to go with +P.

On one side, most people claim the lighter faster loads are better because of the higher energy. On the other side some people prefer the heavier loads for penetration. Also, from what I know and have read, Winchester states that the heavier 147 grain loads perform better in short barreled pistols such as my Glock because of the larger surface area that allows for the pressure to build allowing you to get the most out of the round. I'm only 22 and no expert on any of this stuff. This is my first center fire handgun and I've only shot others on a few occasions.

My main questions are, in your opinions(fired from my short barreled G26), which would be best for self defense? What are the differences in energy, recoil, and penetration? Please state weather or not you would go with +P or standard pressure and why.

The only rounds I have even fired through this gun are PMC 124 FMJs and Winchester 115 FMJs. I did notice that the PMC's had lighter recoil and were easier to shoot. I always thought heavier loads would have more recoil, but that's just from rifle experience.

All info is greatly appreciated.

- Michael
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'd go with the Speer Gold Dot 124 +P Short Barrel load myself.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My advice ( worth < $0.02 ) shoot a box of each and see what YOU like.
Where it hits. And how you like the recoil, and feel.

For my wife's 9C I load 90 grain slugs ( HP Hornadys)

The same one I use for the .380

She can keep a palm sized group all day long with them.

AND I only need to stock one .355 bullet.

My sone likes the 148's in his Ruger.

( remember a hit with a .22 is better'n a miss with a .45 )

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Factory...Corbon 115s....1350 from a 4" barrel...Sierra HP expands dependably...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For legal reasons, hand loads may not be a good idea for personal protection. Attorney's for the recently departed/wounded perp. will get up and do a song and dance before a jury about those "dum-dum" bullets you prepared especially for his client, the "victim" of your aggressive tendencies... etc., ad nausium.

I think any good defense lawyer would agree...

Just a thought...

DF

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I'd go with the Speer Gold Dot 124 +P Short Barrel load myself.
+1 on this load.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
for HD, I use Federal HydraShock 124 grain in my 9mm pistols.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just don't sweat it. Use any JHP from a major manufacturer that you can trust. The difference from one to the other will never matter. I tend to lean toward heavier bullets, never going lighter than 115 grain. Usually like a 124, but occasionally pick a 147. I've treated a lot of shooting victims, bullet has never been a factor unless you're talking gimicky rounds; that's why I say stick with the major manufacturers...they're not going to bet their reputation on gimicky bullets.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I always go with the heaviest HP bullet I can. I like the 147's and want them as hot as they come....the laws of physics apply and you have conservation of energy in mass rule......the heavier the bullet the better it penetrates....and I am not worried about pass thru's so much as getting all the energy I can inside the target...that said....no bullet in the world will do you any good if the shot is not place right on the target...remember more people die from .22lr than any other caliber...shot placement is the key...any thing else is just a bonus point...

James Dunn

[email protected]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JamesDunn
...and I am not worried about pass thru's so much ...

If a pass-thru is going to be a problem, think what a miss is going to be! wink

Last edited by tjm10025; 08/10/11. Reason: smiley-winky thing
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Reason I'm so torn between the two is because I've read a lot about how the lighter bullets have more energy and I've read several things from places like chuckhawks stating that the 147s are the worst rounds to use. Seems like a lot of people love them though. I won't be ordering much of whatever ammo I go with and was hoping to just order a couple hundred rounds of one kind rather than 100 of each to try. If a local place sold them I'd buy 50 of each and try but no where around here does. From the videos I've watched on youtube the 124 appeared to do more damage and penetrate almost as much as the 147.
124 grain HST
147 grain HST

If both rounds are going to perform nearly identical to one another out of my gun, I'd rather have the easier one to control, but I don't know which one that would be? If one will perform reasonably better out of my short barrel I'd rather have it. I realize how shot placement is everything and either bullet will work fine but like everyone I want the best grin

- Michael
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite load is the Corbon DPX 115gr. +P. I feel very comfortable with this round.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by orion03
My favorite load is the Corbon DPX 115gr. +P. I feel very comfortable with this round.

Only reason I'm not considering that round is the price. I want something I can practice more with and can't afford to do that with those. They look like a great round though.

- Michael
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by orion03

+1

I have 9mm 147gr Winchester Black Talons, 147gr Speer Gold Dot, 124gr Speer Gold Dot +P and Cor-Bon DPX 115gr +P.

The Cor-Bon DPX is my favorite....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those short barrel Gold Dots are what I'd carry. Winchester Ranger is the best all around 9mm load if you can get it. This is especially true if carjacking is an issue where you live and you need to shoot through glass. That stuff is deflected a lot less than conventional ammo.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Not all Ranger is bonded.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Barnes 115 XPB's, I load mine w/ power pistol powder for 1300 fps. in a little SIG P-239. done quite a bit of testing in my bullet box.
My bullet box has hard glossy magazines [dry] pieces of 2x4's and drywall mixed in and stacked tight, and after testing all I can say is thats one mean little MOFOing bullet, and I would NOT want that little buzzsaw ahold of any part of my azz.

It may sound silly to some, but I had to do those test to try and convince myself that something that small can be effective, IMHO it is.
And if your not a handloader I believe Double Tap ammo sells these loaded up and ready to go.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Whether you like or despise Masaad Ayoob--you have to give him credit for being a student of lethal confrontations---he compiles data like no one else that I'm familiar with. He's been a friend since 1979 and I was able to sit thru a very intensive two day MAG-20 class of his two weeks ago.

His take on the 9mm is that of the data that he's collected (including response reports from a HUGE # of LE agencies)- by far the best stopping load in the 9mm is the +P 124 gr. load.

I'm not personally a big fan of the 9mm and have no dog in this fight--just passing along the opinion of someone who has more than a cursory knowledge of the subject.

YMMV.
Greg

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by gmoats
Whether you like or despise Masaad Ayoob--you have to give him credit for being a student of lethal confrontations---he compiles data like no one else that I'm familiar with. He's been a friend since 1979 and I was able to sit thru a very intensive two day MAG-20 class of his two weeks ago.

His take on the 9mm is that of the data that he's collected (including response reports from a HUGE # of LE agencies)- by far the best stopping load in the 9mm is the +P 124 gr. load.

I'm not personally a big fan of the 9mm and have no dog in this fight--just passing along the opinion of someone who has more than a cursory knowledge of the subject.

YMMV.
Greg

From what I've read he actually prefers the 127 grain Ranger +p+ and the 124 Gold dot +p second.

Looks like I'm going to order some of the Rangers and DPX's from surplusammo.com because they are the only two self defense loads they carry that I'm really interested in plus they have cheap practice JHP ammo. Hoping to get some HST's to try out as well.

- Michael
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I could never understand the theory behind the 147 Subsonic loads.

.38 Special 158 +P LHPs don't exactly have the stellar reputation for tactical penetration nor immediate incapacitation among street officers who have been in actual gun fights with them. So if the average velocity of these rounds from a 4" barrel is in the 900-950 fps range what exactly is the difference between that and a 9mm (.355) at 950+-fps from the average 9mm handgun......

The 9mm subsonics being jacketed and having a smaller meplat over penetrated in soft tissue and underpenetrated hard cover. One of my friends saw an expended bullet recovered after a gunfight and said it could have been reloaded....

I remember making the statement right after the wound ballistics committee report came out that "now we just have a 15 shot .38 Special"....and that is what it exactly turned out to be. If it was as great as the committee said it was going to be every LE department in the nation would still be using it....few today are. Somewhere around I have an article with an interview of the Chief Range Officer for the FBI being questioned as to the 9mm/147 and why the FBI was no longer using it. He stated something to the effect that "it hadn't worked quite as effectively as predicted"...no $hit $herlock....

In .35 caliber guns give me all the velocity that can safely run and still control the weapon. The .357 Magnum/125 JHP is the standard that every other self-defense cartridge compares itself to and the 147s have proved lacking over and over again....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,657
Posts18,533,963
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.