Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I have recently inherited a "sporterized" 1917 Enfield (Eddystone) in .30-06.
It was sporterized by Kenneth VanZandt of Arkansas in the late 1960's and has not been drilled and tapped for scope mounts, though the rear action "ears" have been milled off.
The stock has the correct drop for iron sights, so mounting a scope will probably result in a poor cheek weld.
It still has the cock-on-closing feature and original bolt handle.

I already have an accurate .30-06 so I was thinking about having my first custom build on this action.

Any advice on using this action? Cautions or suggestions for maximizing the benefits of this action?

I have always admired the .300 H&H but have never owned one, so this is my first thought.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 08/14/11. Reason: Corrected post title

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ed, I don't think there are any P17s. A P14 or mod 17 maybe. The receiver is strong enough for any cartridge. Custom parts are available, but expensive. James Anderson has mine and is doing a 416 Rigby with extended tangs. Some of the metal work was done by John Farner in NM and some of it by Nick Hughes. Both are very good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nick should have the custom bolt release done in the next week or 2. He surface ground the receiver, did the bolt handle, scope bases, and rings.
John Farner got rid of the ears, built the mag box, installed Duane Wiebe bottom metal and follower. He did the feed work.
James Anderson will do the extended tangs, quarter rib, sling stud, and front sight. He will also do the stock.

Butch

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Butch,
Thank you. I would guess that it is a Mod 17. I called it a P-17 as it originally looked like a P-14, but is marked "Model of 1917".

I like the looks of your project!

Is there a structural reason for the extended tangs?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd run it as it is, they aren't worth dumping the money into.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I disagree. The model of 1917's make some really fine full length magnum rifle builds. They are a true Mauser, have a great safety, and there are lots of aftermarket upgrade parts for it.

My 340 Tyrannosaur (338/8mm RemMag) is built on a 1917 with Dayton Traister Cock on opening mechanism and a speedlock set up that is so stout one needs a drill press to dissasemble the bolt and re-assemble it. Also has the matching trigger assembly and the trigger breaks crispy and cleanly at 2.25lbs. I have dual dovetail Burris bases and rings, a re-shaped Boyds JRS stock, Burris Euro Diamond 2-10x44 Posi Lock scope, Barrel was a McGown SS 300 WBY that after I wore it out was cut rifled and re-chambered by the late Dick Nickel and now prints nice little groups with 225GR TTSX Barnes bullets spitting out at 3100fps. Easily is my most used and deadliest rifle in the stable. Not only in my hands, but as a loaner in Africa for clients who used it to very deadly effect.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As to the rifle in question, it would make an EXCELLENT 300 H&H or 375 H&H, as well as any other fll length magnum rifle you want. Even a 416 Rigby which would be a natural for the iron sights type stock you have. Good luck and keep us posted on this rifles progress! MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What would you do Steelhead, buy a Swampman Remington? I do a lot of things that other folks question, but I like them.
Ed, The extended tangs are more for looks in my case. It does give a little more strength in the wrist area.
Butch

Last edited by butchlambert1; 08/14/11.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mine is nothing real fancy. Was originally "sporterized" by Dad shortly after his return from WWII. About ten years ago I updated it with a Timney trigger, B&C stock, shortened the barrel to 21" and added a 6x Leupold using Weaver rings and bases. I left it a .30-06, although I considered everything from a .25-06 to a .375 H&H mag.

In recent years my youngest son has developed a strong appreciation for this old family rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Model of 1917 really is a pretty doggone good rifle. I think it would be easiest to just use the '06 case, making your choice of .25-06, .270, .280, .338-06, or .35 Whelen pretty easy to do.

Regards, Guy

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Steelhead's got a point. The 1917's aren't cost effective anymore given that you can buy off the shelf CZ550 actions for the 416 Rigby for about what you'd pay a gunsmith to do the conversion work on a 1917.

That said, I wouldn't mind have a 9.3x62 on a Remington Model 30. I've got one in 30 Remington that is too nice to cut up but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a clean donor.

The 1917 has one of the best bolt action safeties ever made, in my opinion.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks, all.

Glad to hear of no issues other than money and desire.

Butch, I'd like to hear how yours shoots when it is finished. I've owned a .375H&H, .416 Taylor, .416 Rem, and a .458WM, but the thought of a 416 Rigby puts a smile on my face.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The classic and powerful 416 Rigby and the 1917 action are a perfect match for one another. Build it and hunt it!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
What would you do Steelhead, buy a Swampman Remington? I do a lot of things that other folks question, but I like them.
Ed, The extended tangs are more for looks in my case. It does give a little more strength in the wrist area.
Butch

Were it me Butch I'd not get my panties so sucked up in my twat, he asked a question and I gave my opinion. If you don't like it I suggest you shove that action straight up your ass, assuming something isn't already in the way.

If you don't like an answer, don't ask a question.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Or one could send it off to Art Alpin, he REALLY knows how to polish a turd.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have seen all kinds of calibers on 1917 actions, most
recent was a 375H&H.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
I disagree. The model of 1917's make some really fine full length magnum rifle builds. They are a true Mauser, have a great safety, and there are lots of aftermarket upgrade parts for it.

My 340 Tyrannosaur (338/8mm RemMag) is built on a 1917 with Dayton Traister Cock on opening mechanism and a speedlock set up that is so stout one needs a drill press to dissasemble the bolt and re-assemble it. Also has the matching trigger assembly and the trigger breaks crispy and cleanly at 2.25lbs. I have dual dovetail Burris bases and rings, a re-shaped Boyds JRS stock, Burris Euro Diamond 2-10x44 Posi Lock scope, Barrel was a McGown SS 300 WBY that after I wore it out was cut rifled and re-chambered by the late Dick Nickel and now prints nice little groups with 225GR TTSX Barnes bullets spitting out at 3100fps. Easily is my most used and deadliest rifle in the stable. Not only in my hands, but as a loaner in Africa for clients who used it to very deadly effect.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As to the rifle in question, it would make an EXCELLENT 300 H&H or 375 H&H, as well as any other fll length magnum rifle you want. Even a 416 Rigby which would be a natural for the iron sights type stock you have. Good luck and keep us posted on this rifles progress! MARK

Very Nice Rig cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is my USMC marked 1917 Enfield .300 H&H :

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was originally built by a fellow in Medford, OR as his LR elk rifle.

The barrel is a 26 inch Apex (at least that is what I was told)

It is also drilled and tapped for a Lyman receiver sight.

It has the Dayton Traister Cock on open and speed lock as well as the DT trigger.

It currently wears a K-8 Steel Tube Weaver and puts the 190 grain Hornady BTSP into tiny little groups at 100 yards

The only real down side is that when field ready with a sling and full magazine it weighs a smidge over 11lbs.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the m1917 action too. Grew up using one in Nevada. Chased everything from lizards to big mulies with it. They are heavy and probably meant for a much larger cartridge than what they were originally designed for. If it were me I'd opt for 300 H&H or 375 H&H or maybe even a 416 of some sort. Your options are almost endless with that action.

[Linked Image]
Here's my pre 64 and my poor man's pre 64 blush (both rifles made in 1951). Correction: the bsa model D (factory sporterized m1917) was sporterized in 1951.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Lots of space inside a 1917/Remington Model 30 action. Here's a look at mine chambered in 30 Remington. That's a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip seated as far out as the chamber would allow.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Lots of space inside a 1917/Remington Model 30 action. Here's a look at mine chambered in 30 Remington. That's a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip seated as far out as the chamber would allow.

[Linked Image]

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm......... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I once saw one rebarreled to 223 many years ago.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The 30 Remington was an original factory chambering, along with the 35 Remington. Mine has a very quick tapering slim barrel that results in good balance and handling despite the weight of the action itself. Unfortunately, the crescent steel buttplate is uncomfortable even with the mild recoil generated by the 30 Remington.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregon45; 08/14/11.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (2003and2013, 257 mag, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 160user, 163bc, 60 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,787
Posts18,477,248
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.