Print Thread
Hop To
M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I had a head case seperation in my 35 Whelen, and I cannot get the case out. I've tried using a 50 cal bronze brush to remove it and failed, I also tried using a "hook" to grab the case mouth and pulling backwards. Any other ideas, is it something a 'smith can take care of?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pull the barreled action from the stock. Carefully push a patch down the bore from the muzzle end to about the throat area. Clamp the barrel vertically in a padded vise, muzzle down and pour some Cerrosafe into the chamber as if making a chamber case. Carefully insert a polished rod into the muzzle end of the bore and knock the offending case out. Watch the crown! No Cerrosafe? Either obtain some, or hire the job done by a competent gunsmith.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
A trick I tried several years ago for a stuck case that worked well was to use an Easy Out, the type used to back out a broken bolt. I found one that fit into the case a little ways and gently snugged it up. I popped the case out by running a cleaning rod in from the muzzle and a couple of gentle taps and it popped out. It is essential that you not over tighten the Easy Out so as to go through the brass case into the chamber. The Easy Outs are made to engage steel, they do it very well and would easily score your chamber. Be careful!!!

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I don't reply further, I'm satisfied with my side of the "debate."
[Linked Image]
...nuff said.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yup, just what Malm said...

One issue I have with the Midway/Potterfield video is their failure to use a crown protector when using just the brush to attempt to push out the case remains...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have done a number of them using epoxy in lieu of cerrosafe. I use a syringe with a tube on it. Obviously, you don't want any leaking past. Once it sets up, tap it out with the biggest rod that will fit down the bore. I have a set of brass rods that are 1/4" and up for this. I don't have to use them much!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have had cracked cases on my 7x57 due to full length resizing (changed that since...) and this my sure fire way to get a stuck case without and base. I get em' out under a minute 'cause I've had more practice than I care to talk about.

Get a tap the hole size of the case (without the base) and lightly screw it into the stuck case (with bolt removed) until you feel the tap teeth grip. Not so tight as if you were cutting threads - just a bite. I use a square socket on 1/4 drive.

Now here's the hard part...pass a cleaning rod from muzzle to case-once it touches the tap - give it a knock and your stuck case is out.

M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I went ahead and ordered the Cerrosafe, looks pretty straight forward. I mat try the tap procedure in the mean time though.
thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You can save yourself time and trouble by inserting a rat-tailed file into the neck of the casing and screwing the file into the case neck until the file has plenty of bite into the brass. The case should come right out if the process is done properly. You want to do it right the first time so you don't remove too much brass from the inside of the case neck...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You can save yourself time and trouble by inserting a rat-tailed file into the neck of the casing and screwing the file into the case neck until the file has plenty of bite into the brass.

Are you serious???

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cerrosafe is cheap easy and......safe

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Malm
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You can save yourself time and trouble by inserting a rat-tailed file into the neck of the casing and screwing the file into the case neck until the file has plenty of bite into the brass.

Are you serious???

Absolutely!!!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a real hard time with sticking a rat tail file into one of my chambers under any circumstances other than to salvage a hunt or something when you have no other alternative.

I have removed literately dozens and dozens of stuck cases from Ruger carbines. We found that it would tear the head off Blazer aluminum cases 9 out of 10 times. I could almost always get a stuck case out with a 45 brush and a little kroil. All this other stuff is excessive for most applications.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you suffer from palsy, this may hard to do. The case usually separates at the head nearest the bolt. The entire chamber is protected by the remaining brass casing. A rat tailed file inserted when the bolt is removed will do the job easier and faster than you think.

You don't use a drill, force or any other method that would harm the chamber. If you work on stuff with an 8 pound hammer, this may be a bit too much for you to do, but it does work and work well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you use the .50 brush from the muzzle or breech?

Try running it in from the breech end. The bristles are supposed to bend backwards and catch on the case mouth.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I recently had the same problem with a very stuck case.

The fix was very simple. Same idea as the cerrosafe but I used some epoxy putty. Swabbed the case with some acetone. Mixed a ball of epoxy putty until it started to warm up. Pushed it into the case and let it set up for 10 minutes. Popped it out with a cleaning rod.

M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 1234567
Did you use the .50 brush from the muzzle or breech?

Try running it in from the breech end. The bristles are supposed to bend backwards and catch on the case mouth.

Yes I did, I have removed stuck cases with this method in the past.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
As A 30 yr plus gunsmith, never stick anything in a barrel thats harder than it, Cerrosafe works about 95% of the time. Use a solid brass rod at a 1/4 in dia. you should be ok.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might try putting the barrelled action in the freezer overnight, then try the bronze brush trick. Cartridge brass should shrink at a greater rate than barrel steel when cold.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a method that is similar to cerosafe. It's called "Automotive Body Putty." The body shop guys call it "dumbo." You use it the same way.

Go somewhere that sell supplies to auto bodyshops. They have a product that is called "body putty." It comes in a box and is in strips. It's layed in layers, and is stacked between waxed paper. It cost between five and ten dollars a box, and when made by 3M, comes in both black and white. It is placed in inside auto body seams befor they are painted.

Pull your bolt, and clean the inside of the cartridge case with some good degreaser on cleaning patches. Stick a good wad of paper tight into the case neck, and then fill the case with a wad of this sticky stuff. By pushing against the wad of paper from the muzzle with a blunt cleaning rod, or a blunt rod, the case should come right out.

FYI: I also use this stuff for filler when doing bedding jobs. I keep cerosafe on hand, but have never had to use it, or pull a barrel to get out a stuck case.

Good luck, and let us know what works for you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,307
Posts18,487,152
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.