Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a thought...

A levergun left in plain ol' walnut and blue with a Williams reciever peep still looks sort of innocuous but works just as well as a jazzed-out "tactical" version.

Like I said, merely unscrewing the rear sight aperture leaves a functional "ghost ring" sight, or does on mine at least.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fast twist barrel threaded with a q/c for either flash suppressor or silencer. wink

That said I agree with the 357 mag, 180 gr @ ~1700 fps is no slouch and makes for a reasonable 200 yd round.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
You need to watch :
"The Rifleman! "

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A levergun left in plain ol' walnut and blue with a Williams reciever peep still looks sort of innocuous but works just as well as a jazzed-out "tactical" version.

If, by "tactical" we mean "get off my lawn," that will do very well!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Send it to Red Jacket have them put a 700 nitro express under the 30-30 or untop of it then could never be under gun again

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cross that was hilarious!

made me chuckle, even my boys thought it good and they don't have the history of the Rifleman that I enjoy!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have put cans on 45-70s

In fact, a major can company is working with us to design a dedicated one for the marlins.

WildnicetoshootAlaska ��2002-2011

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
THE TACTICAL 30-30 LEVER ACTION RIFLE
Copyright 1999, Gabriel Suarez
All Rights Reserved

Ask any student of small arms to name the most typically American rifle and chances are that they will name the .30-30 lever action rifle. Manufactured for over a century by Marlin, Winchester, and others - the lever action invokes images of the Old West. We see Jimmy Stewart in "Winchester '73" smiting the enemies of justice and freedom with his "repeater". We see John Wayne admonishing his adversaries to "fill their hands" as he gallops forward, a stubby Winchester in each hand. And, of course, we see photos of that most American of presidents - Theodore Roosevelt wielding his lever action against all manner of beasties in Africa. This ubiquitous and understated weapon has played a very major role in this country's history.

Today the lever action is most often seen in the hands of close range deer hunters as a brush gun. It is not likely to be the first weapon that comes to our minds when the talk turns to fighting. But make no mistake friends, as a fighting (anti-personnel) weapon, the lever action is just as useful and deadly today, on a lonely stretch of highway in the bad part of town, as it was in the dusty cow towns of the Kansas Territory more than a century ago.

Today a rifle of this sort might be kept in tactical storage in a hall closet, above the hearth, or in the trunk of a car for unexpected social unpleasantries. In such a role the lever action has several advantages over other weapons that are more commonly thought of as fighting tools.

Primarily, the lever action is inexpensive. Used examples in perfect working condition may be had for about a hundred bucks. Even brand new weapons will set you back less than the price of a night on the town for two. Compare that with the price of a more military-like, and hopefully still legal, Sturmgewehr-fighting rifle (If you can find one for sale these days)!

The ammunition (.30-30 Winchester Centerfire) has all the characteristics desirable in a mid-range fighting rifle cartridge. In fact, the ballistics of the .30-30 cartridge are amazingly similar to those for the most specifically designed fighting cartridge of all, the 7.62X39 Russian chambered in the AK-47. Shot for shot, the .30-30 will do everything you could ask from a mid-range tactical rifle. And it will do these things far better than many military weapons will!

Being "sporting guns", lever actions are usually issued with fairly good triggers which are crisp and conducive to hitting. Even if the trigger action is rough on some pieces, it is a simple matter to have it brought up to speed by a gunsmith. Additionally, you'd have to look long and hard to find a gunsmith that isn't familiar with the lever action lock-work. This is certainly more than we can say about the gritty as-issued, or modified triggers of the various SKS, AK, HK etc.

Finally, the lever action rifle is more compact in its 16 inch barrel configuration than most other rifles that might be chosen to fill the role. Equally important in this age of sensitive, touchie-feelie, felon huggers, it looks innocent. Don't dismiss this last attribute too easily. In our troubled and ignorant times, juries release violent murderers and rapists because they are not intelligent enough to discern the real facts from the spun fiction. Such things as a bayonet lug or a 30 round magazine from East Germany may confuse them enough to change your life's plans...drastically.

The standard .30-30 will suffice as issued for most duties. But enhancement may be undertaken to improve its performance. One area where improvements may be made is the sights. These weapons are issued with the old buckhorn type sights. They will do, but a rear ghost ring aperture sight with its accompanying front sight post will, in my opinion, do much better. These are available from various sources.

My .30-30 carbine has a modified 1903-A3 rear sight whose aperture has been opened up to ghost ring configuration. This rear sight, coupled with a ROBAR front sight at the end of the barrel, works very well indeed.

Also useful is a leather butt-cuff. This keeps extra ammunition on the weapon itself. This may compromise the concept of the light carbine, but if you have to grab the rifle and run out of your house at 0'dark 30 one night to repel the Visigoths, you'll be glad the extra ammo was there. I know that I was always glad to have a few extras!

Winchester still provides their lever action rifle in the "Wrangler" 16 inch barrel configuration. Marlin once made a similar model called the "Marauder". If your fighting lever gun is too long, it is a simple matter to have your excess barrel lopped off at the local gunsmithy (make certain it remains at least 16" long to keep "you know who" away). Such a conversion will greatly enhance handling, as well as keep the spirit of the compact weapon.

I thus modified an old Marlin 336 rifle that I rescued from the used gun rack at the local gun store. Total cost of the entire package was less than two hundred bucks (including a nice 4X Leupold scope, which I eventually mounted on another rifle!). It is short, light, hard hitting, rugged, cheap to replace if necessary...and well, it looks innocent. I obtained a supply of hunting grade PMC 150 grain .30-30 ammo and tested the combative utility of the carbine via a series of rifle exercises from Suarez Internationals Tactical Rifle school. The drills involve both close range reactive shooting as well as longer distances possible in combative encounters. For purposes of uniformity, all drills commenced from the Rhodesian ready position - that is gun held loosely at the belt level with the muzzle depressed to the offside.

Head shots were fired from the shoulder at 25 meters. Body shots were next at 50 meters, 75 meters, and 100 meters. Multiple targets were shot at 50 meters distance as well as up close at 7 meters. Close quarters targets were engaged both with snap shots from the shoulder, as well as from the Close Contact CQB position. Approximately 200 rounds were fired to get an overall impression of the lever action rifle in the anti-personnel role. Our findings were that there is very little that a realistic rifleman (acting as an individual - not a member of a military rifle squad) can expect from his weapon that the lever action cannot deliver.

If you are in need of an economic and effective rifle that offers as many advantages as a single rifleman can use within "defensive" or "urban" conflict distances, take a serious look at the lever action carbine. I think you'll like what you see.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A lever is the only design that you can reload while shouldered & shootin'. No bolt to open for loading and no magazines to replace.

If it's good enough for Lucas McCain vs the Germans, it's good enough!

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BMT;
Thanks for putting up that video, I appreciate it.

Clint Smith has always struck me as a real down to earth, practical type of instructor. I've never met the man but base this on some of the comments attributed to him as well as reports from those who've been through his courses.

While I'm not sure it's in the future for me to attend one of his classes, I may have to invest in the DVD as it looks quite educational.

Thanks again and all the best to you and yours BMT.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are welcome

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
In a nation where most have access to semi-auto's, a lever action rifle isn't what I'd want to be arming myself with. A guy with only half assed skills and a 20 rnd semi-auto can suppress you, then eliminate you. I've done it myself and seen it done time and time again in force on force training. Big advantage to semi-auto in the hands of even a semi-competent rifleman; just ask any WWII Japanese vet. Had to suck to be on the receiving end of a squad of M1's when armed with an Arisaka.

Now with that being said, a lever action rifle beats no rifle at all by a long shot.

The Germans weren't to happy with the M1 either.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Clint certainly has a point.

All guns kill.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't doubt it but that's a tricked out Marlin. Mine never would have done as it came from the factory.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
You need to watch :
"The Rifleman! "

I was Chuck's stunt double. Even did all his killin' for him. Don't like to brag about it but there ya go.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Clint certainly has a point.

All guns kill.

True.

More importantly, FIGHT WITH THE GUN AT HAND!

Most homeowners won't be going up against an AR. It's clubs knives, and handguns for MOST BadGuys.

A 30-30 lever can raise holy hell down a residential hallway.

Range is not a problem in the US. Its measured in Feet, not yards (Often INCHES).

Also, the 30-30 round will knock the snot out of a bad guy.

Works for Black Bears, it'll work for meth-tweekers.

BMT

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It'll over penetrate. Just sayin' 'cause I never recovered a .30-30 bullet from a critter in my life and it's been a lot of critters.

On other points, there was mention earlier about putting a red dot on the roof of a lever gun. Well, to my eye it is both a clash of technology and a brilliant idea for assisting older eyes. Made such a bold suggestion to a neighbor a couple years back and he rushed out and got a Millett SP1 on his Marlin. That's when the dying started...

Won't get beyond a good receiver sight for my own for some years though, maybe a detachable scout mount down the road when I get feeble. Or duct tape.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
You need to watch :
"The Rifleman! "

Exactly!
Now THAT's a "tactical" thurty thurty!
Even the Nazis and Japs fell to it!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 23 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.