Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking for a good quality softshell for use in late season WY. I expect a lot of wind and variable weather (30-60 F) with some potential for snow. Is there a lightweight softshell that will be warm, cut the wind, and not be too bulky?

I'll be using a patagonia base layer.

I've been looking at the Arc'teryx Gamma LT, but would like to hear what other options are worth considering.

Thanks,
Eric

GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I've heard good things about the Kuiu jacket, although I've personally never had my hands on one. I do wish it had a detachable hood and it looks like it doesn't have pit zips. Material is supposed to be good, though.

And you can get it in an earth tone, non-camo, color.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marmot makes wonderful softshells for high aerobic conditions and warrant a look if you will be doing a lot of strenuous stuff. The M2 weight stuff is really well made and versatile but fit is slender, not too easy to layer underneath.

The Patagonia Guide Jacket is one I use myself for hunting. I prefer it over my Dimension because it doesn't have a hood which I find annoying unless it is raining. The cut on both Patagonia jackets is pretty generous and will allow layering.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1 on the Patagonia Dimension, not sure if there are any still available (I didn't look). It's very durable, and water resistant, almost in the hardshell category. It came out several years ago, I passed on it originally in favor of a hardshell which I felt I had a greater need for. It worked to my advantage because I was able to get one in the Alpha Green color as a web special a couple years ago versus the standard (read: bright) colors typically available.

Another route would be one of Filson's jackets. I have a waterfowl/upland jacket that has seen extensive use. The shoulders do soak thru in a sustained rain though. I have reapplied their "wax" a few times but the shoulder area remains the first spot to wet out. It is also quite heavy. I use it when I not hunting out of a pack, when I know I will be returning to camp (as in a cabin) at day's end.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This stuff is LW and sheds water like a duck's back. I can't give you a field report 'cause I haven't had it long enough.

http://www.acu.com/style_F740397366/

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am guessing the Alpha is made with this http://www.duroindustries.com/index.php?page=4-way-stretch-91-nylon-9-spandex-soft-shell

I had Beyond fleece make me a multicam pant and coat from it and like it a lot. It is fairly water resistant, does decent with wind, does snag a little on sharp brush. I would use and buy a product from it again.
I am having Beyond make me a tan coat and pant in there Schoeller wb 400 that should be warmer and in my hands in a week or so

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I do not Suggest anything from Patagonia clothing line....ANTIS!

>>>--DON'T TREAD ON ME--->
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Arcteryx, Marmot, KUIU is awesome. the first two are neutral on the hunting topic.

>>>--DON'T TREAD ON ME--->
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
KUIU is great, but I wouldn't call it a wind cutter. That said, it really breathes and is awesome for that. It's all part of the trade off. My plan it to go woth a waterproof shell should I really need the wind cut....at that point noise wont matter and neither will limited breatability.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Arctic Shield H4 jacket sounds like a good fit. I have the H3 which is just a bit heavier but is still the lightest of the 5 or 6 hunting jackets I own.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Sitka Jetstream is a good choice for windy conditions. Bit heavier and bulkier than some of the others mentioned.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
Sitka Jetstream is a good choice for windy conditions. Bit heavier and bulkier than some of the others mentioned.

I'll bet this is better in the wind:

http://www.acu.com/style_F734075366/

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Maybe, maybe not. The Jetstream has the windstopper membrane laminated to a light fleece fabric on the inside which gives it very good wind protection and a bit of warmth. Of course the good wind protection also restricts the breathability IMHO. The Jetstream fabric combo is fairly quiet in case you need to do a stalk with it on. It also has lots of pockets, kind of nice when you're hunting, not to mention pitzips for venting.

And best of all, the Jetstream comes in the latest camo fad guaranteed to make you look like a stud around the suburbs. :-)

And all of this only costs a couple hundred more than a standard windshirt. :-(

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a minor addiction to soft shell jackets. My all-time favorite is this one:

http://www.ottegear.com/catalog-detail.php?p=32

RLTW
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sancho_Maes
I do not Suggest anything from Patagonia clothing line....ANTIS!

Anti what? It sure isn't fishing and from previous discussions I don't think it was established that Pata is anti hunting. A large part of their customers may be.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I don't have a specific recommendation on softshells, but I like to go with a strategy of of using a good softshell vest over fleece and add a hardshell if the wind/rain become too much for that combo. None of the softshell upper layers that I have tried ever breathed good enough for me. The vest gives good core protection for wind and light rain without a lot of the overheating problems of the jacket. That's just one way to attack it though and might not be best for your situation.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
This stuff is LW and sheds water like a duck's back. I can't give you a field report 'cause I haven't had it long enough.

This looks interesting. I wonder how it compares quality wise to Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, etc.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EricM

This looks interesting. I wonder how it compares quality wise to Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, etc.

Can't tell. Does it have a hood?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EricM

Well, like I said, I can't give you a field report, but the garment looks well made, and a MED fits my 5'8"/170# frame perfectly.

It doesn't have a hood David. I just plan to carry a goretex boonie hat with it. If that isn't sufficient, it's likely time for a hardshell anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors

I'll bet this is better in the wind:

http://www.acu.com/style_F734075366/

Based on your experience in the field with both?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.