-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I know that everyone is absolutely in love with Vortex optics so I will put on my Nomex suit and post my experience.

I wanted to buy a 8-40 roof prism binocular in the $300 class for my brother and had an eye set on a Monarch. A salesman in Bass Pro convinced me that a Diamondback is a better glass for less money, so I bought it even though it was a little heavier. However, being the anal type I am, I couldn't sleep well until I put my doubts to rest, so I went and bought a Monarch too, and despite the picking from my dear wife, set out on th edeck, comparing.
In the daylight there was just about no difference. But in the fading evening light, the Monarch started discerning the brownish colors of the grass and brush better for my eyes. The Diamondback was sharp but with more washed out colors. I gave them both to my wife, without giving my opinion, and she, for once, came to the same conclusion.
So I took the Diamondbacks back and kept the Monarchs, even though they were something like $70 more.
So now I have some bias against Vortex. It is probably wrong and I would like to change my mind but find it hard to buy a heavier optics that look inferior to my eye. Anyone care to comment?

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A dissenting opinion

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?24861-Vortex-Diamondback-vs-Nikon-Monarch

I compared Monarchs to the discounted Vortex Viper Binoculars at our local Yukon Camera store. The Monarchs are still there... I left with the Vortex and have since added another set. No comparison at all.

Didn't look that close at the Diamondback line though.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Never been impressed with the Monarchs at all. Easy to get better glass in the same price range.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'm a hardcore Nikon camera guy, so I am naturally biased toward Nikon optics. That said, I had a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x42's and was not impressed. My $69 Leupold 6x30 Yosemite's give better performance, to my eyes. And, frankly, how a pair of binos performs for my eyes is really all that matters to me.

Last edited by Oregon45; 08/19/11.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, we can always agree to peacefully disagree smile
I looked at a set of Leupolds (forget the line, $400 class) and their periferial distortion was just unreal, I didn't think such glass is still made in 21st century. Could be bad sample? Possibly. My personal set is porro prism Nikon Action 8-40 and so far I have been happy. Color is different on all brands, some having better browns (warmer). Vortex Razor I understand is a step up in class from Diqmondbacks though.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Different products for different eyes?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
For sure. I went and read the Canadian site. Counting pine needles is hardly a criteria, at least in my opinion. With either set just a hair out of focus, and this test is lost! However, if it was harder to focus one or the other to individuals eyes, that totally matters.
I looked through Conquest and VX-3 at the same power. The warmer color coatings on the VX-3 appear to help resolve browns better and create visually better contrast for many hunting situations. Zeiss was brighter. What is better? I don't know.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Never been impressed with the Monarchs at all.
+1

Nikon spends big bucks advertising when they should invest in better glass.

Everything here was brighter than the Monarch's...

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not sure about the Nikon binocs, but their scopes always seemed decent for the price range.

That being said, I have recently had the opportunity misfortune to try a few different models of Vortex binocs, and a set of Loopy HD, gold rings. eek

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Best glass I seen above was Conquest & Swaro. VX3(50mm) & Burris FFII darn good also. Looked thru 3 Monarch's w/friend and both agreed Nikon could not compete with others.

Trijicon still has the 'coolest reticle available IMO. The Swaro 18x44 Z5 was badazz, though damn thing is long as your barrel. smile

Of coarse everyone's eyes are different.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, in my spare time in Anchorage I stopped by Sportsmans and looked at some binoculars. They didn't have Vortex Razors or Vipers but plenty of Pentax and Nikon. All were quite nice once I fiddled with the focusing and diopter settings. And then I picked up a set of Swaro EL.
They didn't need fiddling. They don't have tunnel vision, period. They have no edge vignetting or distortion, same image quality on edges as in the center. And, the 8-32 has just about the same brightness as the 8-42, and is brighter than Nikon 8-42.
I think I am sold. I look through a scope all of 10 seconds on a hunt, so I think FF2 will be just fine. On another hand I look through binoculars for hours. Sounds like a better investment for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul,

Compare the Monarch to the Viper line. IMO you'll find the Viper to be better glass...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've seen some widely varied opinions here some I kind of agree with.
For what its worth I don't find his findings suprising at all, especially considering he is talking about the newest Monarchs. II'm not a big Nikon binoc fan either, but considering my experience with the Diamondbacks,with the exception of one pair it doesn't suprise me he found the newer Monarchs better. The diamondbacks are good binocs for the coin, but I've found thenm to only be on par with the older Monarchs, which isn't really bad per say, but it is what it is. The vipers are better,yes, but then your talking another price range of binocular.
Bill

Last edited by tx270; 08/24/11.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
I know that everyone is absolutely in love with Vortex optics so I will put on my Nomex suit and post my experience.

I wanted to buy a 8-40 roof prism binocular in the $300 class for my brother and had an eye set on a Monarch. A salesman in Bass Pro convinced me that a Diamondback is a better glass for less money, so I bought it even though it was a little heavier. However, being the anal type I am, I couldn't sleep well until I put my doubts to rest, so I went and bought a Monarch too, and despite the picking from my dear wife, set out on th edeck, comparing.
In the daylight there was just about no difference. But in the fading evening light, the Monarch started discerning the brownish colors of the grass and brush better for my eyes. The Diamondback was sharp but with more washed out colors. I gave them both to my wife, without giving my opinion, and she, for once, came to the same conclusion.
So I took the Diamondbacks back and kept the Monarchs, even though they were something like $70 more.
So now I have some bias against Vortex. It is probably wrong and I would like to change my mind but find it hard to buy a heavier optics that look inferior to my eye. Anyone care to comment?

Your observation is right now. I wasn't impressed by Vortex Diamondback either. I think Leupold Rebel is optically superior to Vortex Diamondback.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (akpls, 300_savage, 2500HD, 79S, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 673, 14 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,920
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.