Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think either would be great.

Personally I'm pretty clueless when it comes to optics although I'm trying to learn, so I guess my vote would be for optics.

JM

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks to everybody for the responses. I think we have the drift, since the rifle/handloading book now has 37 votes and the optics book 6.

My original OPTICS FOR THE HUNTER was one of my best-selling books but is now badly out of date, even though most of it was dedicated to general principles and self-testing.

I do intend to do both books, just wanted to see which one was wanted first. So am going to do the rifle/handloading book in 2012, and the optics book in 2013.

Oh, by the way, next year Eileen is going to publish a book of her hunting stories as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be looking forward to Eileen's book I enjoy her work as well as yours. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
+1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Rifle trouble shooting & handloading first if possible.

Last edited by gldprimr; 08/22/11.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Another vote for trouble-shooting and handloading.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Oh, by the way, next year Eileen is going to publish a book of her hunting stories as well.
Good to know. She has a way with a hunting story.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looking forward to it! Her article in Successful Hunter on hunting mule deer and whitetails, can't remember the title but the first page had a picture of each species, is one of my favorites!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
another vote for the rifle trouble shooting & handloading book!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Good to know. She has a way with a hunting story.

a BIG +1 there....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifle troubleshooting and handloading

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Rifle troubleshooting/handloading

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifle trouble shooting/Handloading!
G

"If you don't stand up for what you believe,,you stand for nothing"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a fool proof approach to Eileen and John's books.

If they write it, I buy.

And frequently more than one since I give them as gifts.

Steve

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We're publishing one of my books every year now. My new collection of hunting stories, BORN TO HUNT, will be out in October.

For next year I am trying to decide between a new optics book, and a book on rifle troubleshooting and handloading.
Which one?

Definitely the book on rifle troublehooting handloading. As has beeen previously noted, there is already a lot out there about optics, some good some not so good.

There is precious little written on troubleshooting and handloading. Couple the vacuum you could fill with your ability to communicate across economic and skill/ability lines, you won't be able to write enough of the rifle troubleshooting and handloading to keep them on the shelves. A scope is a scope is a scope. You pay what you get for. The gunwriters have beaten optics to death...so have we. But rifle troubleshooting and a primer, even an advanced manual, on handloading would be welcomed with open arms I would think. YMMV

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking forward to the troubleshooting and reloading book.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks to everybody for the responses. I think we have the drift, since the rifle/handloading book now has 37 votes and the optics book 6.

My original OPTICS FOR THE HUNTER was one of my best-selling books but is now badly out of date, even though most of it was dedicated to general principles and self-testing.

I do intend to do both books, just wanted to see which one was wanted first. So am going to do the rifle/handloading book in 2012, and the optics book in 2013.

How about "Optics for the Hunter II" like Boddington's updated "Safari Rifles?" The fundamentals of glassing and caring for optics haven't changed much. What has changed is the technology, its availability and cost, and the increased expectations that access to that technology has resulted in for many hunters.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
The next optics book will be even more "revised" than Craig's safari rifle book.

One of the really big changes since I wrote the first book in 1998 is the proliferation and improvement of laser rangefinders, which of course brought about enormous changes in scopes.

Also, the manufacturing of optics has changed considerably as well. There wasn't a Schott glass manufacturing plant in China, for instance. Really GOOD optics are now made all over the world. They always were, of course, but the trend has increased considerably since 1998, with the result that we can now buy top optics for much less than we did back then.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Interesting. I vote for a chapter entitled: "Why Your Laser Rangefinder Does Not Substitute for Shooting Skill." Or, perhaps a chapter entitled "Just because You Can See It, Doesn't Mean You Should Shoot It." Or maybe "The Secret Lives of Riflescopes" about how globalized production has reduced the amount of bragging that is justified by owning certain brands. grin

Last edited by Oregon45; 08/23/11.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I would be most interested in a handloading/troubleshooting book.

As an aside, I bought a Ruger 77 Ultralight at a gunshow on the weekend. I still have the issue of Handloader that had the first Handloads that Work article. As per the suggestions for the 30-06 I used 60 grains of H-4831 and a 180 grain bullet. That got me 3/4" groups (and a couple better) and a velocity of 2550 fps average. Not bad for the first load out of new rifle with a skinny 18.5" barrel!

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,246
Posts18,486,192
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.