Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Looks like I'll be getting to hunt NE NM for antelope at the end of August. LO tags seem to be a little cheaper this year than in years past, I'm assuming probably more due to the drought and lower trophy expectations rather than simply just the poor economy.

Anybody live out there or scouted yet and can compare this years quality versus years past?

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
This is actually the first time in 15 years where I won't have antelope hunters. I haven't been up in that part of the world yet, but it dry dry everywhere. That being said, there's a couple of theories that horn growth will actually be better in dry years. Antelope horn is made up of keratin-hair so growth is not like a bone and doesn't take the energy that bone does. Another theory is that the horn is a cooling mechanism, much like the horns and black face markings on a gemsbok. This might have some merit too as one of the world record bucks came from Mohave co. which continues to produce huge bucks. I've got a buddy up in Cimmarron and he's been seeing some good bucks. Another buddy has been seein some monsters up in T.P. and the I've seen some bucks around here pushin 80" so there might be some merit to the theories, and this will be the year to really test things out!The problems you face up in the NE will be the hard winter two years ago and the fact that the G&F transplanted a bunch of antelope from up there. I'm sure you'll do fine though! Good luck & watch for rattlers!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I talked to a game warden last week that had to put a buck out of it's misery after it had been hit by a car. He said it had exceptional mass and would have gone over 80".

We've had a couple of rains in the last 2 weeks. Also, we didn't graze cattle this year and our windmills are pumping, so our bucks have more food than most and plenty of water. I talked to some guys who've been working on our place and they said they've seen some very good bucks. One of those guys is a good hunter and I know that he knows a big buck when he sees one.

My cousins' ranch, where I am hunting this year, was grazed but they are also reporting good horns. I'm excited about hunting there. It hasn't been hunted much the past few years and should hold some dingers.

There should be some big horned bucks taken - last winter was mild so there was good winter survival - there should be more maturity this year. Finally, they're native animals and are adapted to high desert. I think they do better than deer and elk in dry conditions and I know they do better than cattle.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Man, I hope you guys are right. The drought is serious there, but hopefully the antelope are doing OK.

I am going to be hunting out of Raton late next month and am getting excited about it again.

I have to go over to Cimarron to pick the mount of the buck I shot last year. May have to go get another dose of bison pot roast at the old hotel there.

That is really a great part of the country to hunt in. The area has an abundance of game from antelope, to mule deer, to elk, to black bear, to turkeys, et. etc.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hope you guys are right. I got a ranch tag for the 27-29 at the end of next month! I'm hunting between Wagon Mound and Springer and from what the rancher told me, I'll have no problem getting one.... just make sure its a biggin!

Everyone i've talked to has said that that part of the country holds the biggest bucks there are, so I think you should be in good shape!

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like a bit more rain tonight. We do have a lot of antelope and a lot of good bucks. JM, you shouldn't have any trouble getting one.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry to jump in at this late date but have had family issues so haven't prepared very well for the first ever antelope hunt. I have a tag on a ranch near the Texas border, northeast of Tucumcari. I have never hunted them before. Can you provide any tips.

Plan had been to glass, glass, glass......hopefully locate, stock, and fill the tag.

Has anyone used a cow decoy for stocking? Never been in this specific area and as terrain changes fast, not sure what it will look like. I am contacting rancher and G&F today for info.

Any tips from experienced pronghorn hunters (to include judging antlers) would be appreciated. Thought I saw a thread on field dressing and meat care, but again all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Talked to my rancher this evening. He says he's got more green on his property than the majority of surrounding properties, and as a consequence, antelope populations are actually up on his ranch. I've also heard that sheath quality has not been hurt by the drought and there are some real toads out there!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a generality, beef cows and pronghorn have radically different diets. Probably no more than about a 15% overlap in species composition. Pronghorn can shake out quality groceries in all but the worst of times.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by megalomaniac
Talked to my rancher this evening. He says he's got more green on his property than the majority of surrounding properties, and as a consequence, antelope populations are actually up on his ranch. I've also heard that sheath quality has not been hurt by the drought and there are some real toads out there!

There are. Have a good hunt.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.