Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 28 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 27 28
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by ShootDogs
I think your definition of "pack" is different. He didn't claim to be carrying a full combat load, just "my pack"
i want mine to have about 15 helium ballons

Great idea! If you see a guy with some balloons tied to his Kodiak this year.......

I didn't read this whole thing, but I'd say that carrying a heavy rifle is better exercise for building muscle. Light rifles are for more repetition. Sometimes I pull my truck up the mountain road just to get warmed up for the hunt.

Bill

There are many copies.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by 280shooter; 08/22/11.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If people worked out as long as it took to write 23 pages of this BS they would all be in better shape and could probably carry a cannon.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LMAO. But that only works if you're totin' a chainsaw.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by smokepole
LMAO. But that only works if you're totin' a chainsaw.......

Seems to me that a physical specimen like Logcutter would not require a horse to hunt.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my 2 pennies. if you are to wimpy to carry a 9 pound rifle .you have absolutly ZERO chance of packing out an elk quarter. stay home and oil your rifles. or road hunt........

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bluegillman
my 2 pennies. if you are to wimpy to carry a 9 pound rifle .you have absolutly ZERO chance of packing out an elk quarter. stay home and oil your rifles. or road hunt........

That is correct bluegillman, rifle weight and packin' out meat are not the real test in an emergency situation, we were pushing out a bowl to try and run something over an old gentleman that had left and set up an hour earlier.
I saw him down and poppin nitro pills, I hollered and we all ran up to where he was, I handed my rifle to one of the other guys, loaded the old man up on my back and headed out of the timber down the mountain with him while his son was calling 911.
We reached the trailhead and met a life flight whirly bird that took him to the hospital in Grand Junction, he had 3 stints installed and survived cool, packin' a 175 lb. man out in a hurry while running bent over frontwards is a hell of a chore, and it didnt hit me till the copter was hummin' off in the distance, I fell over and nearly had to call them back to get me to grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gunner500

That is correct bluegillman, rifle weight and packin' out meat are not the real test in an emergency situation, we were pushing out a bowl to try and run something over an old gentleman that had left and set up an hour earlier.
I saw him down and poppin nitro pills, I hollered and we all ran up to where he was, I handed my rifle to one of the other guys, loaded the old man up on my back and headed out of the timber down the mountain with him while his son was calling 911.
We reached the trailhead and met a life flight whirly bird that took him to the hospital in Grand Junction, he had 3 stints installed and survived cool, packin' a 175 lb. man out in a hurry while running bent over frontwards is a hell of a chore, and it didnt hit me till the copter was hummin' off in the distance, I fell over and nearly had to call them back to get me to grin

Gunner

Your a Good man Gunner ..someone raised you right

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

just because i can pack a 9#+ rifle up the mountain doesn't mean i'm going to when i have a Kimber Montana in the safe...

just like i don't pack a handgun when i will have a rifle, i don't pack a whole box of ammo to fill one tag, and i don't pack a cell phone into an area with no cell service...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I love the guys that pack a handgun up the hill...ostensibly for grouse or to "finish" game....

Grouse: if you are willing to screw up your elk hunt by shooting at grouse...that leaves more for the rest of us...lots more.

Finishing shots: A spare cartridge for the rifle weighs less.....just sayin....

Pick up your hat that says " Tyro" at the front desk.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I carry a handgun for bear defense while hunting with a rifle..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've heard that one too..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't worry GW I carry one to,always figured if my rifle gets knocked away and I wake up in a bloody mess with feces filled shorts I'm not going to stumble around looking for my rifle,I would just start truck'in back.
But a handgun don't slow me down or my rifles or my pack or my boots or my clothes or all the junk us gear heads have to have.
BBJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys wanna see a really funny thread on using a bayonet for defense while hunting?
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=608791

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh Man....THAT is rich......

" aggressive animal attacks"....

Never had one of those....outdoors..... whistle

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i guess i just don't understand why any sporting rifle should weigh 9#+ all up...

my .375 Ultra

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Your a Good man Gunner ..someone raised you right

Y Thanks Oldelkhunter, quite a bit of that right raisin' came from the fast end of a keen switch grin.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Did he just say this?

[bleep], if anything, this thread is great at drawing out the resident gapers around here.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yea, you are gonna have to duct tape a couple of bricks to your 7 SAUM so you can prove something. just what, i don't know...

Oh, wait, we've proven that you don't have to carry a heavy pig of a rifle to be able to pack elk out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just to say something my dad moved to Montana in the early 50's.His grampa sent him here with a old 30-06 from WWII non-spotarized,with peep and clip mag.He climbed up and down the kootnie valley for years with that gun.In 1960 something my mom scrounged enough money and bought him a Winchester fwt '06 from the little gas/sport shop in Troy,MT.That old WWII rifle hit the back of the closet so fast that it's still there.
Maybe it was just a new gun,but I know it's HEAVY!!!
BTW my father is 73 yo this year and he drew his 1st either sex bull tag and that Fwt is going to put one more in the freezer.
BBJ

Last edited by BareBack_Jack; 08/23/11. Reason: bad,bad spelling
Page 23 of 28 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 59 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,306
Posts18,487,165
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.