Hop To
#555443 08/19/05
G
Gator1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thinking about doing my BLR with Tru-oil.

Questions-
1. How do you get the buttstock off? I see no screws on the relativly short tang.

2. Best way to get that pin out of the barrel band?

3. How do I deal with the checkering:
*When stripping-

* When staining-

Thanks for any input.

Ric

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ric
Under the buttplate/pad you will find a deep hole... stockbolt goes in from there to a vertical bar (IIRC) running between the upper and lower tangs.

I would not do it, were I you, unless it was really badly beaten up. Fix the dings and buff with rottenstone and oil to get the luster you like and call it better than good...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Gator1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
SD,

What bothers me is that there is what appears tb be 2 large oil/water stains-one by the reciever, and one buy the buttplate(go figure). Purely cosmetic, I know.

There is still 99% of that thick Browning clearcoat/poly on the rifle, but is rather dull. Would rottenstone help that, and what the he!! is rottenstone, and how is it used? Is this available at Home Depot?

Thank you for your help, and I think you might have talked me out of a project WAY to hard for August in Florida.

Ric

G
Gator1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
By the way, this is one slick handling rifle.

Ric

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I just put camo tape on mine and forget about it, mine are using rifles, If they shoot gggod and function, the rest doesn't matter.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i did 2 and it sucks. i ended up using citri strip and wrapped it in aluminum foil for each coat. (think it was 4 or 5 coats). make sure you wrap it and leave it outside the living area. heavy smell for sure.

then you scrape a bit after the first coat then scrape some more etc etc. i taped off the checkering after a few coats and a toothbrush scrub.

then i colored it and oiled the snot out of it. it looks great but it is a bunch of work. just remember, once you start your in for the long haul.....

maybe someone like boyds is cutting replacements in the white. you can just finish yourself......

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rottenstone is available from Brownell's and is cheap. It is diatomaceous earth... calcium carbonate shells from tiny marine life deposited over a long period of time. A superfine abrasive when applied with oil that cuts the sheen down to a nice eggshell luster.

It is a bit of work, but far less than a strip and refinish job. The water marks might go away with the rottenstone, but may require a little more magic. Baking the area with a heatlamp over several hours may work if rottenstone does not.

Use the rottenstone on a felt rag dipped in oil (mineral or linseed ) and rub vigorously with long strokes. I prefer to do large areas at a time rather than attempting to match a bunch of small areas.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
diatomaceous earth is also used for swimming pool filters. called D&E it it white and comes in large bags and is really cheap. a 25 LB bag will do a million stocks. or if you know someone that uses it for their pool they will probly give you a cup full..

G
Gator1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Boy, there's a blast from the past. I built pools for about 15 years.

Took the pad off and I can't see that the fluid went deep into the wood. Might just keep it the way it is-I've got to many "coddled" rifles as it is. I need one that I can lay on the front porch table without worrying about a scratch or 2.

Bought some Federal Prems 165 grn., and will see what she can do.

Thanks for all the advice, esp. the rottenstone info(told my wife to pick some up at Home Depot, or whereever she could find some-I better have a cold one waiting for her).

Ric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just rubbed up the stock on my BLR with 0000 steel wool. Took the shine down to a matte finish.

They do shoot well though.

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (12344mag, afisher, 6mmbrfan, 257 roberts, 21, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,709
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.