-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
S
That's why I always keep a snowblower in the truck.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Deans
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Go to http://www.tripcheck.com and look in the bottom left corner. That describes Oregon's chain laws.

In general, Oregon does not require you to chain up a 4WD unless you're towing. However, you're still required to carry chains same as everyone else. There are very rare conditional closure events where nobody is allowed to travel other than chained up 4WDs.

If you need to chain up, chains on all 4 tires is much more effective than chains on just 2. And of course, there's chains and then there's CHAINS. Cable chains are not too bad on some surfaces and can be driven a bit faster than links, but when conditions deteriorate, sharp links are the only way to go.

What route are you planning to travel? If it's one I'm familiar with, maybe i can give you more specific advice.

Tom

I'll be going through Albuquerque, Gray Mountain,AZ, Grand Canyon through Reno to Klamath Falls. We will be hunting around
Silver Lake.

Deans
I live 55 miles from the town of silver lake. I carry heavy chains for all 4 wheels. But november in the silver lake area is more likely to be muddy off pavement. It is high desert with little snow. The big storms normally hit in december. 90% of the time you will be able to travel all roads open in the area EXCEPT for some of the mud sidehill roads out in the juniper/sage country. Expect 12" or less snow above 5,000'

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A lot of Idaho's high desert is a soil that gets really greasy when it's wet. Some years ago, we had my full sized Blazer and a 16' single axle camp trailer way out there. We got up one morning when it had started to rain. By noon, it was still raining hard and we decided that we'd better get that trailer out of there. We had to chain all 4. At 10 mph, the trailer was fishtailing from barrow pit to barrow pit. We went 30 miles like that, at 10 mph. The mud was only 1/2" deep, but you wouldn't believe how slick it was.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Rubber gloves that are too thick and heavy make it too hard to get the fasteners hooked, sometimes to the point that you have to take them off. Lighter ones won't be as warm, but they'll speed up the job.

Just stay away from kitchen-grade gloves - they won't last the job.

FWIW, I've never had a problem putting chains on with work-duty grade gloves.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Deans
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Go to http://www.tripcheck.com and look in the bottom left corner. That describes Oregon's chain laws.

In general, Oregon does not require you to chain up a 4WD unless you're towing. However, you're still required to carry chains same as everyone else. There are very rare conditional closure events where nobody is allowed to travel other than chained up 4WDs.

If you need to chain up, chains on all 4 tires is much more effective than chains on just 2. And of course, there's chains and then there's CHAINS. Cable chains are not too bad on some surfaces and can be driven a bit faster than links, but when conditions deteriorate, sharp links are the only way to go.

What route are you planning to travel? If it's one I'm familiar with, maybe i can give you more specific advice.

Tom

I'll be going through Albuquerque, Gray Mountain,AZ, Grand Canyon through Reno to Klamath Falls. We will be hunting around
Silver Lake.

Deans

There may be a pass or two in Nevada you have to go over but that route does not sound to bad to me. I would still get chains. The truth about Oregon is that can be a real inhospitable place. Most of us carry water, food, and some kind of sleeping bag or wool blanket and always tell someone where you are going and when to expect you. The areas you are headed to do not have cell signal very often. Silver Lake is gorgous and does get some snow, it would be best to get a radio with a weather channel and be prepared to wait it out. Ice is the real enemy in Eastern Oregon, the snow not so bad most of the time but the ice. Oh Boy what a ride.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bpctcb
I'm about to purchase my first set of chains for a third season hunt in CO. I live in OK and have zero experience with chains.
Would it be best to get twisted link, square straight link, or chains with the v-bar?

Thanks,
BP

The straight looks cool but I have trusted V-bars for years. Don't forget the tensioners and to practice on dry pavement

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would still get chains. The truth about Oregon is that can be a real inhospitable place.
Last T-day, we'd planned on visiting family in Grants Pass. Then the ground blizzard hit around Burns. The day we'd planned on going, it was a -25 chill factor and 0 visibility below 4'. We stayed home. I'm getting too old to enjoy driving in that stuff.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JFYI I have been driving through silver lake for better than 20 years multiple times every winter in all road conditions. Never once have i needed chains. I have hit 3 deer. I have made the trip at 30mph due to ice fog coating the road with 1/4" of glaze ice. Off the highway there have been a few times i should not have been driving without chains Or at all for that matter. Good cell coverage over the whole area with a repeater on dead indian mt. PS: the cougar in my picture was called in near silver lake oregon.

Last edited by baltz526; 08/29/11.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
Even with all 4 chained, a person should still realize when it is time to turn around whistle

[Linked Image]

I think you would have made it if you would have hit it just a little harder. laugh

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
Even with all 4 chained, a person should still realize when it is time to turn around whistle

[Linked Image]

I think you would have made it if you would have hit it just a little harder. laugh

That brings back a few memories...

1. Chain up early - you won't regret it nearly as much as trying to do it too late. Been there, done that. (More than once, unfortunately, primarily because I acquiesced to the voices of others. If you think it is going to get worse, it probably is. You can always laugh about not needing the chains later but I've never seen much laughing going on when people are chaining up in axle-deep mud or knee-deep snow...)

2. Turning around is often a sign of intelligence and you won't regret it nearly as much as spending hours getting unstuck or spending the night stuck somewhere. Been there, done that, too.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need to get adapters that allow you to hook the hi lift jack to your wheels.

Last edited by ConradCA; 01/21/13.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry two spare tires already chained up year around, for me it's easier to change tires than to fight chains in cold and snow.
And yes to chains on the front with a 4X4

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ConradCA
You need to get adapters that allow you to hook the hi lift jack to your wheels.

I've never tried those , but they look a good idea..

Sad to say a Hi Lift is virtually useless on many modern SUV's as their body work and bumpers is simply not strong enough for lifting..

I have often wondered whether one of those inflatable lifting bags would be a better bet for jacking a modern SUV but again have not actually tried one other than a military spec one..

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had chains on today, checking some wells. Would'nt have made it out without them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just carry 2 6" 2x4's with your chains. Lay the chains out with a block between about the 3d & 4th links from the tires then drive up on them. It's easiest to put the block almost against the tire with 3 cross links wadded up between them. That lifts the tires enough to easily get the chains pulled tight and usually no further adjustment is needed after moving.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E

Sad to say a Hi Lift is virtually useless on many modern SUV's as their body work and bumpers is simply not strong enough for lifting..

I have often wondered whether one of those inflatable lifting bags would be a better bet for jacking a modern SUV but again have not actually tried one other than a military spec one..
I had that problem with my FJ. There is almost no where you can attach the Hi lift jack to. I have adapters that let ma attach it to the wheels and the rock rails.

[Linked Image from ]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pete E

I had that problem with my FJ. There is almost no where you can attach the Hi lift jack to. I have adapters that let ma attach it to the wheels and the rock rails.

That's what they make sliders for...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some excellent info above. When you go off-highway in real snow, ground clearnce often becomes the critical factor - hard to "push" much of that stuff. And, on the highway, 4wd and posi help with propulsion, but they will not help much with STOPPING. Chains !

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Get v-bar chains and the half moon type tensioners that the semi rigs use, way easier to tighten than rubber straps and more secure. (although you should run those too...)
Do they make those in pickup size? I've never seen them except for large trucks. They're hard to beat for ease of tightening. But then, I've been using the same chains for many years. I buy tires to fit them.

Yes, V-bar with cams, that's a clear winner. And they do make them for pickup sized tires.

If you are going to buy chains, do it right, V-bar with cams.

Something clever here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Like This

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (12344mag, 160user, 35, 44mc, 2UP, 21, 22 invisible), 1,110 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,211
Posts18,524,286
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.