Hop To
Page 11 of 29 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 28 29
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I've read books on deer hunting but can't say I've read one that gave a good description of proper still hunting technique. Move slowly, keep your eyes peeled and be prepared to shoot quickly at the assend of jumped and running deer with a fast handling carbine seems to be the norm.

ZZZZOOOOM, that obviously went right over your thick head ! I'm not surprised. Reading comprehension seems in short supply around here.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This thread has given me more than a couple chuckles. Thanks for the entertainment guys. Pruning shears...hah.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
I don't think Blackheart understands the concept of thickets that you can barely get through, much less quietly, and big timber with pine needles on the ground. What you have to work with should dictate the method. I have killed deer by several methods from running with dogs to jumping them in clearcuts while riding a horse, still hunting and sitting in a stand. Where I currently hunt, the best method is stand hunting and probably would be the most productive in the majority of places people hunt whitetail deer. miles

He's not alone. I'd love to see some of these Dan'l boone trackers come here and give it a go making racket as they move thru an area.

If they don't think making noise within 40 yds of a good buck won't focus his attention on your position and limit your shot opportunities vs. spotting a buck first and him having no idea you are in the neighborhood, well.... whistle

Here, limited visibility makes most shots 40 - 50 yds max. I can tell you from experience, if he has heard and is now looking at you at that short a distance, you have a very, very short time frame to locate him and fire a shot...seconds, maybe 3-4.

It is possible to make a little noise in terrain where visibility is much further and he feels safe because of the distance between you and him, even young dinks will occasionally stand there for awhile. You can pull it off in places where deer aren't familiar with man or are so acclimated to him, that they have lost their fear (petting zoo's).

But you ain't gonna do it anywhere I have hunted down here.

If noise doesn't scare them, we should all be able to walk up and just shoot them in the head like you would a pet cow....

LOL grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I don't think Blackheart understands the concept of thickets that you can barely get through, much less quietly, and big timber with pine needles on the ground. What you have to work with should dictate the method. I have killed deer by several methods from running with dogs to jumping them in clearcuts while riding a horse, still hunting and sitting in a stand. Where I currently hunt, the best method is stand hunting and probably would be the most productive in the majority of places people hunt whitetail deer. miles

He's not alone. I'd love to see some of these Dan'l boone trackers come here and give it a go making racket as they move thru an area.

If they don't think making noise within 40 yds of a good buck won't focus his attention on your position and limit your shot opportunities vs. spotting a buck first and him having no idea you are in the neighborhood, well.... whistle

Here, limited visibility makes most shots 40 - 50 yds max. I can tell you from experience, if he has heard and is now looking at you at that short a distance, you have a very, very short time frame to locate him and fire a shot...seconds, maybe 3-4.

It is possible to make a little noise in terrain where visibility is much further and he feels safe because of the distance between you and him, even young dinks will occasionally stand there for awhile. You can pull it off in places where deer aren't familiar with man or are so acclimated to him, that they have lost their fear (petting zoo's).

But you ain't gonna do it anywhere I have hunted down here.

If noise doesn't scare them, we should all be able to walk up and just shoot them in the head like you would a pet cow....

LOL grin

i like how the 'daniel boone' is thrown in there as though to make tracking sound fictional and un-realistic

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i like how the 'daniel boone' is thrown in there as though to make tracking sound fictional and un-realistic

And I would like to see anybody track and shoot deer through dry oak leaves and thickets that you can't penetrate even on your hands and knees. Not saying that you can't track deer, just that you can't do it every where and at any time. Conditions need to be right and we seldom have them here. That is why most people have found that sitting in a stand is more productive. Let the deer do the moving. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
conditions NEED to be right??? lmao. ideally yea but that happens about three days of a 6 week season in maine. i track on crunchy snow, loud squeaky sticky snow, powdery snow, and no snow if we get a good rain so ideal conditions my eye! maybe not down south, never been any further then PA and you could track there but i hunt all over maine from southern oxford co to the allagash and from freedom NH to errol and ive been able to track in all the country. un successfully at times but thats not fault of the country side. it just wasnt neat to be on those days. eahc to their own

BTW, these look like dry oak and beech leaves to me
[Linked Image]

Last edited by skybuster20ga; 08/27/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could see where you could ease through there without making much noise. Here the Oak leaves will be five or six inches thick, hiding dry sticks, I see no thickets and the deer would not be legal, unless there are brow tines that I can't see. That is another peeve of mine. Having to count to three on one side before you shoot. You will lose a lot of good shots and either have to take a marginal shot or not shoot. And there is a rock in the picture. No rocks here unless somebody carried it in. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The best deer hunting in the world might be in downtown NYC, but I'd never know as I'd not hunt the frigging place.

I'm all about more enjoyable and when you are doing it the way you enjoy the most all the other pieces take care of themselves.

Noise don't bother me none, scent do.

It's akin to the parents that don't want to make a single sound when the baby is sleeping, one snap and the kid is up. Far worse sins than noise.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I could see where you could ease through there without making much noise. Here the Oak leaves will be five or six inches thick, hiding dry sticks, I see no thickets and the deer would not be legal, unless there are brow tines that I can't see. That is another peeve of mine. Having to count to three on one side before you shoot. You will lose a lot of good shots and either have to take a marginal shot or not shoot. And there is a rock in the picture. No rocks here unless somebody carried it in. miles

well my good sir, some places they can be deep like that, and the sticks underneath are part of it. thats why i like my non insulated lacross grange boots. i can feel them before i put my foot down. sometimes your gonna break a twig or two. big deal. there are brow tines on that little 6er. marginal shots are about as common as house flys up here. somehtin ppl have to cope w/. this buck was bedded down chewin his cud and took one almost head on. the 350 went about the whole length

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've read books on deer hunting but can't say I've read one that gave a good description of proper still hunting technique. Move slowly, keep your eyes peeled and be prepared to shoot quickly at the assend of jumped and running deer with a fast handling carbine seems to be the norm.

ZZZZOOOOM, that obviously went right over your thick head ! I'm not surprised. Reading comprehension seems in short supply around here.

The problem with our reading comprehension is that it's pretty much impossible to comprehend the BS you've posted on this thread. You are a legend in your own mind. You may be a good hunter but with all of your "one upping" and self promotion on this thread all people focus on are you ridiculous comments

I've been guiding hunts for over 20 years and when you hunt with that many people with many different personalities you get fairly good at figuring out who knows what they're doing and who doesn't. The guys like you that think they know it all and will tend to try and one up everybody else in camp normally go for a VERY LONG walk the first day of the hunt. When you get a guy that won't shut up about how good he his you just make him to tired to talk. Problem solved grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anxiously awaiting Blackhearts response. Will he try to one up it or will he try to teach us something? Regardless, I'm sure we'll get a chuckle out of it

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
You know Drum, it doesn't matter whether it's hunting, your occupation, sports, or whatever......If you have to talk up your "game", then you ain't got one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Very true, and all the talking impresses no one but the talker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure you are a nice guy Skybuster, but you're laying it on a little thick pard.

If you think you can consistently track deer through dried leaf litter for any meaningful distance, you have never attempted it or you're just pulling our leg. wink

I've seen dogs lose the scent of a deer because they had hell penetrating the tangle he dove off in.

I'm betting their sense of smell is much better than your eyesight.

I'm not trying to be ugly, but the bullchit is getting deep and reality is not happy about it.

I'd like to get Edward Scissor Hands and The All Seeing Eye together at a real campfire. That would be a hoot. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I'd like to get Edward Scissor Hands and The All Seeing Eye together at a real campfire. That would be a hoot. grin

ROTFLMAO....... grin

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

ROTFLMAO....... grin

X2!!!! That's freaking hilarious!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
You know Drum, it doesn't matter whether it's hunting, your occupation, sports, or whatever......If you have to talk up your "game", then you ain't got one.
You [bleep]' Texans always crack me up. You always think the way you hunt in Texas is the only right way and if you can't accomplish it some other way, nobody else can either. I never once said I was the best hunter since Ishi died. What I did say is that it's obvious many here have little knowledge or experience with still hunting and obviously don't really know how to go about it correctly. That IS A FACT and it won't change because you refuse to listen to, and don't even want to hear from someone who has done it successfully for years. There is much truth to the old saying "you can lead a horse to water but you sure can't make him drink".

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by huntsonora

ROTFLMAO....... grin

X2!!!! That's freaking hilarious!
Have you two graduated the third grade yet ? Sometimes it's hard to fathom the level of immaturity that comes from supposed grown men here.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Thank God your game department is managing the age structure by the point requirement. Most folks are too damn greedy to do managing and would shoot anything thats legal.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

You me and skybuster at a real campfire really would be a hoot.

Page 11 of 29 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.