Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
one or two letter codes for Savage 99s

I am brand new to this forum, but in trying to learn about Savage Model 99s I have seen numerous positive references to the forum.

Despite a long time, inexpert interest in firearms I have never owned a lever action. I plan to rectify that. I am leaning to a Savage model 99, although I have also looked at Winchester 88s, the Sako lever action (Finnwolf?), and newer Browning BLRs.

I have seen various mentions of one or two letter codes for Savage 99s. If anyone can steer me to a primer on these codes it will be appreciated. (And I note in passing that I live in Alberta, Canada which somewhat limits the buying opportunities.)

In particular if anyone can suggest the one or two letter codes that may be associated with a rifle described as follows, that would be great. It is sort of my wishlist for a Savage 99.

1. Is not drilled for a scope
2. Maybe produced in the 30s, 40s
3. Has a peep site
4. Is chambered in one of the Savage calibers; first choice might be the .250-3000 Savage
5. Is not a takedown
6. Has a Schnable fore end
7. Steel butt plate
8. 24� barrel
9. Unaltered
10. Plenty of field wear is fine

Thank you.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
One of the models that jumps first to mind is the prewar EG. And, if you are happy with the EG then don't just limit it to a prewar vintage. They are generally affordable and great shooters even though people joke about their exact purpose. (one of your esteemed countryman refers to them as tomato stakes...)

Hopefully he will chime in here and offer you a lead on one of those undesirables!

Last edited by Lightfoot; 08/25/11.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, sounds like an EG. Only other choice would be a later 99A with crescent buttplate. The 99EG in 300 Savage is the most common model/cartridge combination you'll find, and a great hunting rifle. And FAR cheaper than a Winchester 88, much less a Sako.

Top one here is a uncheckered version.

[Linked Image]

Here's the checkered version:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The other model that fits is the Pre-WWII Model E that does not have a pistol grip. But as stated above the EG is more common and an easier find. A .250 will run a few hundred more than the same rifle in .300 Savage.

If you want to learn about the Savage lever buy this book... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninety-Nine..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336acc338d

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We have a few members who live in Alberta, Trix99 and Norm99 both are good guys maybe they might know where something is. Don

IC B2

H
OP Offline
H
Thank you for the information. It is helpful. I did not appreciate some very basic points. First, I have not noticed before a Savage 99 without a pistol grip. I sort of like it. And, hard to credit, I never really noticed that some Savages are checkered and some not.

And just getting a few of the letters lined up (A, E, EG) helps in distinguishing among the options.

Nice fotos. Nice trophy.

It would be great to hear from other guys in Alberta, if they notice the post.

Question: Why is the EG deemed a tomato stake by some?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Mad Dog, That is what he says and hes in Ontario !!!!!! grin grin actually its because there the most common model of Savage 99. Deep down hes joking ,pretty sure if he had one in 243 or 22 hi. power it wouldn't reside in a garden !!! grin Don

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Joe has one in his safe, I think it's a 243.

It's a collector's forum, so the most common models don't get respected as much. The EG's are one of probably the most undervalued deer rifles out there, you can pick one up for about the price of a Marlin 336, and the Savage is far better and classier. Course, I might be biased. grin

The earlier 1899's are very addictive once you get hold of one, also. Those 26" barrels shoot and hold far better than one would expect.

There's a website, www.savagela.org, that has a pictures section with pictures of most of the models. You can browse through those to get a feel, though some of the models only show examples with optional features on them.

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks Calhoun. I had seen that website, but with your recommendation I now know that the site is worth really getting into. At a second glance a minute ago, it is very good to help with my question.

While I spelled out some preferences, it is nice to get something that a collector regards well, as well as a practical piece. I wanted a Sako a few months ago and bought a L579 in .243, a Bofors-steel model. I like it because it is the sort of piece Sako collectors (acquirers) respect, yet it has the dings of experience and I am happy to take it hunting this fall.

I have always liked long barrel firearms, too, so maybe a closer look at 1899s is called for.

H
OP Offline
H
Hey Calhoun ... I see some of your nice rifles on the website

IC B3

H
OP Offline
H

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use the "img".

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks Rick. I made a feeble attempt, but I think it will have to wait 'til one of my kids is home to do it for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by henrycottonirons
Thanks Rick. I made a feeble attempt, but I think it will have to wait 'til one of my kids is home to do it for me.

henery ...
welcome to the forum
i'm in GP you will not be displeased with a savage ,i do have a EG in 300 sav available.
I'll PM you ,,watch for a flashing flag at top of page,click on it
and well talk

also those pics didn't come up so i cannot comment on the gun in question ,i am home for a few days ,so when pics show up the guys here will evalute the gun ,and i'll through in my 2 cents ,
you'll get verried opions but realistic according to the groupe that ansewers

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by henrycottonirons
A reputable Cdn dealer wants $400 for this. Any advice possible as to value? I know zero about gun board technology ... not sure jpgs will work.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...G/IMG_9847.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...G/IMG_9843.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...G/IMG_9845.jpg[/img]

well I tried to fix this for ya but it looks like you either deleted the pics or moved them to a folder or something that somehow changed the location...

Andrew
H
OP Offline
H
Drew
Thanks very much for the effort. In any event, upon reflection, I think it may be better to work within the collector community to find something. Appreciate the effort tho.

H
OP Offline
H
For anyone else just starting out, here is a piece that gives a good appreciation of the different model numbers.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?topic=162.0;wap2

I hope it is not bad form to refer to another Savage site.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hadn't seen that before. Longest thing I've seen Joe write without being sarcastic. Thanks for posting!

grin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, Alan_C, AdventureBound, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 18 invisible), 14,811 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,983
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.